2014 Trek Remedy 9.9 650b

Beno22

Likes Bikes
Frame - OCLV Mountain Carbon 19.5 140mm Travel
Rear shock - Fox Float DRCV CTD Kashima (push drcv volume spacer)
Front shock/fork - Fox 34 Factory Series Kashima (pushed by NSDynamics)
Handlebars - Bontrager Rythm Pro Carbon 750mm 15mm rise
Stem - Bontrager rhythm Pro 80mm 0deg
Headset - Cane creek
Grips - EZI Grip Extra Chunky
Saddle - Bontrager Evoke Ti Rails
Seatpost - Rock Shox Reverb Stealth
Front brake - Avid XO Trail Ti
Rear brake - Avid XO Trail Ti
Cranks - XX1 32t
Chainguide - E 13 XCX+
Chain - PC XX1
Pedals - Crank Brothers DH Race
Front derailleur - Hell No
Rear derailleur - XO1 11spd
Front shifter - Pffft hehe
Rear shifter - XO1 11spd
Cassette - XO1 11spd
Front hub - Bontrager Rhythm Elite
Rear hub - Bontrager Rhythm Elite (loud but good)
Front rim - Bontrager Rhythm Elite
Rear rim - Bontrager Rhythm Elite
Spokes - Butted Steel Straight Pull
Nipples - Alloy
Tyres - Bontrager XR3 Team Issue
Tubes - No Way
Total weight - 12.19kg

This thing is freakin amazing, was not happy with the forks so the boys at NSDynamics installed a full push set up, transformed the bike, no way this feels like a 140mm travel. Just played with DRCV volume on the rear.

Vid of Forks in Action (hit the HD button), https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152251565328721&set=vb.724643720&type=2&theater

Attachments

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Sik build mate, very tough and stealth!

Can't believe it's a feather over 12kg; I wonder if all these AM bikes which are so light is due to the XX1 groupset. (forgetting the carbon frame part).

I'm not surprised you weren't happy with the forks, even with the Factory FIT cartridge. Are you a light rider by chance? I am and am currently making do with the even shitter cartridge in the Evo fork but I have an Avalanche cartridge on its way.

Beno22

Likes Bikes

Can't believe it's a feather over 12kg; I wonder if all these AM bikes which are so light is due to the XX1 groupset. (forgetting the carbon frame part).

I'm not surprised you weren't happy with the forks, even with the Factory FIT cartridge. Are you a light rider by chance? I am and am currently making do with the even shitter cartridge in the Evo fork but I have an Avalanche cartridge on its way.
Cheers, best thing is it's factory delivered, only thing I did was fit chain guide...

This is my enduro race bike, it gets ridden hard, just soaks it all up. I reckon 140 of well controlled travel is just fine. I think I ride smooth but aggressive... All my mates have 160 plus, I dunno, has to be pretty knarly for that amount.

Curious to know how you ended up going down the avalanche path?

teK--

Eats Squid
Cheers, best thing is it's factory delivered, only thing I did was fit chain guide...

This is my enduro race bike, it gets ridden hard, just soaks it all up. I reckon 140 of well controlled travel is just fine. I think I ride smooth but aggressive... All my mates have 160 plus, I dunno, has to be pretty knarly for that amount.

Curious to know how you ended up going down the avalanche path?
Agreed, 140 to 150 of controlled travel is the sweet spot for pedally AM trails. The extra slackness up to 160 only really comes in useful on really brutal rock gardens. My 160 forks presently have such poor damping I can blow through over 3/4 of the travel just braking hard. But if I put more air in then they will chatter and stumble on all the small bumps.

The Evo fork doesn't have a FIT cartridge (required for the Push conversion) so I didn't have any other option for a damper upgrade but to go for a complete replacement cartridge solution like the Avalanche.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
D-roooool!

I'm 95-100kg and my 2013 Remedy 9 gets ridden pretty hard and rough - I'm not a light rider at all and I'm yet to bottom yet. Although my Fox 32 forks are rather lacking, they'll also be replaced by 34s at some point.

Any reason why you didn't go single NW ring up front?

teK--

Eats Squid
D-roooool!

I'm 95-100kg and my 2013 Remedy 9 gets ridden pretty hard and rough - I'm not a light rider at all and I'm yet to bottom yet. Although my Fox 32 forks are rather lacking, they'll also be replaced by 34s at some point.

He's got XX1 ;)

You might be confusing that upper chain guide with a derailleur.

Beno22

Likes Bikes
Agreed, 140 to 150 of controlled travel is the sweet spot for pedally AM trails. The extra slackness up to 160 only really comes in useful on really brutal rock gardens. My 160 forks presently have such poor damping I can blow through over 3/4 of the travel just braking hard. But if I put more air in then they will chatter and stumble on all the small bumps.

The Evo fork doesn't have a FIT cartridge (required for the Push conversion) so I didn't have any other option for a damper upgrade but to go for a complete replacement cartridge solution like the Avalanche.
I'm not trying to be smart but I ride dh trails on this bike which are often in enduro events, so I'm thinking the am classification is not correct. I'll put a link up of some video footage of the forks in action, it's pretty cool to watch.

Look forward to hearing the results of your forks, pricey?

Beno22

Likes Bikes
D-roooool!

Talk to the boys at NSDynamics. Can't give them enough credit, local (to aus), professional, great value and fast turn around. But yeah, 34's be the go.

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm not trying to be smart but I ride dh trails on this bike which are often in enduro events, so I'm thinking the am classification is not correct. I'll put a link up of some video footage of the forks in action, it's pretty cool to watch.

Look forward to hearing the results of your forks, pricey?
Don't blame you mate, I think bike and trail classification has kind of gone to shit lately ;)

When I refer to AM I mean riding down something like Turbulence at You Yangs, and still being able to pedal back up to the top afterwards. That's AM in my books. Some people call riding up and down rolling singletrack in lycra as being AM. I call that XC.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Don't blame you mate, I think bike and trail classification has kind of gone to shit lately ;)

When I refer to AM I mean riding down something like Turbulence at You Yangs, and still being able to pedal back up to the top afterwards. That's AM in my books. Some people call riding up and down rolling singletrack in lycra as being AM. I call that XC.
It's got me fked why forums (sponsorship I guess) only have XC and AM categories. In reality most of us ride TRAIL bikes - 120-150mm travel, any wheel size. I see XC as racing, long bush, fireroad & double track riding and AM serious down pedal back up riding. So all sorts of shite gets put into AM & XC threads because there is no Trail riding thread - My rant for the day.

Beno22

Likes Bikes

Totally agree, we are now on the same page. I've just been calling it enduro cause not a lot of people would attempt the likes of turbulence or even track seven on longer travel bikes but I guess that's a skill thing. AM it is. Have been known to frequent youyangs on a regular basis...

markgab

Likes Dirt
In all honesty, it's very vague and everyone is open to his/her interpretations.
Blame the bike industry for playing with words and screwing up its meaning.
All marketing... just like 26/27/29" wheel sizes.

Beno22

Likes Bikes
It's got me fked why forums (sponsorship I guess) only have XC and AM categories. In reality most of us ride TRAIL bikes - 120-150mm travel, any wheel size. I see XC as racing, long bush, fireroad & double track riding and AM serious down pedal back up riding. So all sorts of shite gets put into AM & XC threads because there is no Trail riding thread - My rant for the day.
Once again not trying to be smart but XC is pretty full on these days, aside from the steep tech climbs, they also have crazy steep descends, dh spec rock gardens and drops most would not try.

But I get where your coming from, I see xc as above, and xc bikes are built to do this. I see am as the trail bike you describe above but not in a serious down category but as a true do it all. Does not do one thing great but does it all. I see enduro as serious down and pedal up. And dh is dh, no way a single crown should be able to compare to dh bike on a true dh course...

Just my thoughts...

Anyway, this thread is about my bike, how cool is that! Haha

wavike

Likes Dirt
Once again not trying to be smart but XC is pretty full on these days, aside from the steep tech climbs, they also have crazy steep descends, dh spec rock gardens and drops most would not try.

Anyway, this thread is about my bike, how cool is that! Haha
Yup, and what a bike it is. I'd be more than happy (subject to fitness and skills) to try a 24hr on it one weekend and gravity enduro on another with a lot of trail riding in between. Who needs categories with a plush 12kg 140mm travel piece of artwork. (Not jealous at all )

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
Nice Remedy.

I'm riding a 2014 9.8, this 9.9 of yours is everything I want mine to be. XX1 11 spd, sedate frame colour scheme and awesome all round package!

I was of the understanding the 9.9 wasn't being brought to Aus for the 2014 year. Was this a special order or shipped from OS? Nice do it all bike regardless!

Beno22

Likes Bikes
Nice Remedy.

I'm riding a 2014 9.8, this 9.9 of yours is everything I want mine to be. XX1 11 spd, sedate frame colour scheme and awesome all round package!

I was of the understanding the 9.9 wasn't being brought to Aus for the 2014 year. Was this a special order or shipped from OS? Nice do it all bike regardless!
Yeah was a special order, pretty sure it's the only one here in aus... I looked at the 9.8 but had the same issue as you, the 9.9 is a great spec from the shop, everything I wanted. Will be moving it on soon but not allowed to talk about that in this thread... Shhhh!

Beno22

Likes Bikes

Bit of PUSH Fork Action for ya, select HD for better quality,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152251565328721&set=vb.724643720&type=2&theater