2015 Giant Reign owners

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I was caressing my bike today and noticed a small dent. It is on the strut between the chain stay and the seat stay. Does anyone have anything similar ? Very hard to notice but interested in if its a design flaw or manufacturing fault.

Attachments

beejay

Likes Dirt
Don't know if it's a fault or not but same on mine.
Brand new never been ridden Reign 1 frame.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hard to see but not concerned as there's no creases or anything to weaken it under stress, just a small concave dimple.

Andrey

Squid
I saw a brand new Reign Advanced 1 (carbon main frame) & Reign 1 (aluminium main frame) at a bike shop in Melbourne. The Reign Advanced 1 had a long dent in the middle. The Reign 1 had a dent lower down to the right. Poor quality control in my opinion.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Was at my lbs this arvo. Brand new reigns on display have the same dimple. Seems its normal.

teK--

Eats Squid
I saw a brand new Reign Advanced 1 (carbon main frame) & Reign 1 (aluminium main frame) at a bike shop in Melbourne. The Reign Advanced 1 had a long dent in the middle. The Reign 1 had a dent lower down to the right. Poor quality control in my opinion.
How can you compare alloy to carbon it comes out of different moulds.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's there to clear that cable guide thingo, which is probably in a slightly different spot / different size between the carbon and alloy frames. Your opinion is wrong

Andrey

Squid
It's there to clear that cable guide thingo, which is probably in a slightly different spot / different size between the carbon and alloy frames. Your opinion is wrong
My opinion may be wrong, but it still looks like a defect. If it is there by design, it looks like a band aid fix to remedy clearance issues when rear suspension is at full travel.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
My opinion may be wrong, but it still looks like a defect. If it is there by design, it looks like a band aid fix to remedy clearance issues when rear suspension is at full travel.
I'd say your opinion is probably wrong. I think Giant might know a thing or two about bike design. Not really a band-aid fix. They've been developing the bike for a couple of years so it not like they started to manufacture it and then realise they need to put a dent in. It's there to allow for a bit of extra clearance for the internal routing of the dropper post under full compression.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
I think there may be a few Giant Anthem owners that would disagree with that....... :behindsofa:
So they've made and sold tens of thousands of Anthems world wide and millions of other models and they have some problems. I guess everything should be perfect and we should accept nothing less. Giant will probably amount to nothing in the bicycle manufacturing industry.

beejay

Likes Dirt
Beejay, any chance you could get a pic at full compression?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Full compression, no shock so topped out.

I believe it might be to clear the swing mechanism (where you attach the cable) on a front derailleur.
It's not a manufacturing fault or a band aid fix. It looks like a deliberate design decision to accommodate 27.5 wheels, short chain stays, and the option to run a front derailleur, but still keeping the support brace between the seat and chain stays at a desirable shape and thickness.

My opinion of course. Feel free to disagree.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I think there may be a few Giant Anthem owners that would disagree with that....... :behindsofa:
That became a problem with the long seat posts everyone ran in those frames... Admittedly it was a bit of a design flaw and everyone got a new frame if it did crack didn't they???

Hydro forming of alloy can make all sprts of shapes even intentional "dents". Looks like just a thing to create some clearance between the maestro stay brace and front triangle...

beejay

Likes Dirt
Hydro forming of alloy can make all sprts of shapes even intentional "dents". Looks like just a thing to create some clearance between the maestro stay brace and front triangle...
I agree. Definitely intentional.
All though the "dent" is lower on the stay brace so front triangle clearance is not the reason.
Anyone got a Reign 2 with the front derailleur? See if that's the reason for the dimple?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Full compression, no shock so topped out.

I believe it might be to clear the swing mechanism (where you attach the cable) on a front derailleur.
It's not a manufacturing fault or a band aid fix. It looks like a deliberate design decision to accommodate 27.5 wheels, short chain stays, and the option to run a front derailleur, but still keeping the support brace between the seat and chain stays at a desirable shape and thickness.

My opinion of course. Feel free to disagree.
Was thinking the exact same thing looking at OP's pics.

Al O'Moore

Cannon Fodder
Dent Reign 2015 frame

I was caressing my bike today and noticed a small dent. It is on the strut between the chain stay and the seat stay. Does anyone have anything similar ? Very hard to notice but interested in if its a design flaw or manufacturing fault.
Yep very similar dent (size and location) noted on my Reign 2015 2 frame. Discovered in first week of ownership (last week) after 2 uneventful rides with no crashes . Giant shop in Dublin are being v helpful and researching the problem.