2015 Merida One-Forty 7.900

A-Newbie

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

This bike has been in my sights lately. Although it is kinda ugly, i think it will grow on me.
Most importantly it ticks all the right boxes for me.
Travel less than 160, 140 minimum.
Pikes up front
Fox rear
1x
Dropper
Good brakes

The thing i cant understand is that a bike that comes with some top quality components would have a few reviews?
I cant seem to find any?
Has anyone got any experience with one or have seen a proper review?

Or even still anyone got other bike suggestions with those criteria?

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/2015/one-forty-7-900-3209.html

Danieleire

Likes Dirt
How much are they? All the specs are very good, i think it looks good. Certainly wouldn't call it ugly, has similar lines/frame to the giants

mumbleman

Likes Dirt
I have just got a one forty 7 700. Which is the next model down.
Only done two rides on it so far and was impatient so didnt spend much time setting up the suspension, just sag. So it felt a bit harsh on the first ride but I still had no complaints. During the second ride I rode on fire trails that are suffering a bit and climbed about 400m vertical over about 9 km so it climbs as good if not better than my norco fluid and I use the propedal on the norco. Then I adjusted rebound speed after I realised it was one click off the fastest and the descent was great. Front felt plush and stable, handled all the ruts and bumps great. Just need to fine tune the rear shock now.
The brakes are great the dropper post is worth it.
So so far so good for me.
Sorry about the long winded answer.

bdl

Squid
My son has this bike. He's had a bit of a love-hate relationship with it.

Pros:
+ great price for the component specs
+ the blue/yellow actually looks pretty nice in person, I think (way better than the usual boring black)

Cons:
- the FSA chainring is rubbish (chain drops are guaranteed, fitting a chain guide had marginal improvement, we switched to a SRAM GX-1000 crankset and it's now 100% a-ok; you have to switch the entire crankset and bottom bracket as FSA have a proprietary system)
- speaking of chain guides: frame does not have ISCG mounts, so chain guide and bash guard choices are limited
- the rear shock (Fox Float CTD) is the weakest link in the suspension; my son rides probably at the limit of the stock setup, so he decided to upgrade the shock to a RockShox Monarch RT3. A mistake, as that shock has been a disaster to get right - it's even been custom tuned and he's still having problems with it (could be a faulty shock). He's now fitted a Fox Float DPS Factory 2016, EVOL (what's on the 2016 model) and it's much better.

The 2016 version has SRAM cranks/chainring, chain guard and a Fox Float DPS shock, so I guess Merida know about the above weaknesses in the 2015 model.

and the biggest drawback from my perspective:
- you're on your own; nobody (lbs, etc) is familiar with the brand; for example trying to find a recommendations for suspension setup, etc is impossible as the brand is so uncommon - and Merida are totally useless, don't reply to emails, etc

Last edited: