2015 Mondrakers Dune... Opinions, pros & cons?

Scampbell

Squid
Hi, I'm in the market for a new bike. Still a bit of a newb but getting right into all mountain riding.

My question is is the 2015 Mondraker Dune a decent bike? I can get it cheaper than any other 160mm travel (Marzocchi 350 NCR 160mm forks). I like concept of the geometry and components look pretty decent.

I also have to option to build up an older Rocky Mountain slayer, but need to buy new wheels, brake disks, dropper post, front fork and some other parts from my old bike which then probably won't sell second hand, so it's not looking too much cheaper.

Other bikes I have been looking at are the cheapest specialized enduro and any second hand xl frame that pops up (there's not many). Maybe a kona or anything g else they just get pretty expensive quickly

Any advice would be great!

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What sort of trails will you be riding predominantly? That Mondraker has a monster wheelbase, 47.5+ inches even in a medium. I'd think it would be quite a handful on slower, tighter trails. It also has a very slack seat angle (69 deg) which is not exactly ideal with today's thinking.

Not saying it's a bad bike or anything, I'd just take one for a test ride before making any final decisions.

indica

Serial flasher
I have recently bought a 2015 GT Sanction. 15 kgs, long wheelbase and short stem. Love it. Does what it says on the box. Gets up the hills then rides like a DH bike.
Looks like the Mondraker will do the same thing.
I reckon go for it.

Scampbell

Squid
Cheers for the input. I'm getting into some of the rougher dh tracks around Townsville and am really after something like this that shouldn't limit me too much... I plan on becoming extreme ah ha
Hope to get a ride on a demo Mondraker foxy, but I'm very close to just taking a leap of faith. The year review (2014) gives it fairly positive feedback, although maybe some issues with the spec on 2014 model? 2015 model should have those ironed out.

Pinkbike give it a fairly good review and the forks have had a good wrap.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Mondraker-Dune-XR-Review.html

Front forks seem to get a good write up here:
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/team-tested-the-2015-marzocchi-350-ncr-fork/

Checked out what other bikes are available at LBS and everything is $500-1000 more.. stretching the budget a bit too far. Maybe the giant reign at 3.5k is the best value I could get that's similar? I think the Mondraker has me hooked though.

After the test ride and possible purchase I will post an update on how the bikes feel.

Cheers

indica

Serial flasher
I have the base 350 forks and like them.
Mine will need a service as they are a bit sticky - potential under lubed from factory - but they track amazingly well, are solid, and look great.

Scampbell

Squid
Cheers Indica,

I have a follow up question regarding sizing. I saw you have an XL frame. I'm 192 or 6 3/4ish. I sat on the dune foxy large and it felt fine, going for a ride next week but had thought I'd be getting an xl rather than a large. Now I'm undecided and not sure as I've had a few different opinions. The differences in geometry between l vs xl is about 18mm on the top tube and 16mm on reach.

I guess my biggest concerns are
will I wish I got the xl for a better fit,
or if I do get the xl will it be too large and make riding a 'stretch'?

Any advice?

Dirtydan

Likes Bikes
Mondraker

Hey buddy, there's a guy that's based in Townsville that sells them, it's an online store offthebrakes.com.au. They have only just picked up Mondraker so a new thing for here.

I let him know about your post, he'll prob touch base with you soon. He just got a new foxy himself, and I'm looking into one as well.

See you out on the trails.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
If you are comfortable on your current frame, work out the reach and stack and then go from there. Easy to do with a level and plumb bob.

Scampbell

Squid
Cheers. I've been in touch with Matt, hopefully check out the foxy next week. YT Capra looks like an awesome bike also, but don't think there is a local supplier.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Cheers. I've been in touch with Matt, hopefully check out the foxy next week. YT Capra looks like an awesome bike also, but don't think there is a local supplier.
YT sell direct via NZ. Prices on the siye are total end price and include GST.