2015 Specialized Demo Carbon

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A prototype is any preliminary model where production models will be copied or developed further.

However if they end up completely changing the design and revamping the entire bike than its likely not a prototype but a separate design.
which is what I was trying to convey but didn't get there im not arguing over it lol I really couldn't give two farks

was just sharing what I read elsewhere

eitherway interesting to see where they go and what they do to suit Gwinn lol

driftking

Wheel size expert
which is what I was trying to convey but didn't get there im not arguing over it lol I really couldn't give two farks

was just sharing what I read elsewhere

eitherway interesting to see where they go and what they do to suit Gwinn lol
I'm really hoping they don't screw it up, they have such a good spot in the market, it would be a shame if they came out with very generic style bike.

I have to hope they are not ignoring troy on this one too and don't just change the rig for Gwin and hurt troy.

With the FSR patent running out and the influence of Gwin clearly not very happy with the bike, I'm anxiously waiting where they will end up.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I'm really hoping they don't screw it up, they have such a good spot in the market, it would be a shame if they came out with very generic style bike.

I have to hope they are not ignoring troy on this one too and don't just change the rig for Gwin and hurt troy.

With the FSR patent running out and the influence of Gwin clearly not very happy with the bike, I'm anxiously waiting where they will end up.
i don't think they'll abandon FSR as it works. People go on about it being an old design but so's the wheel. The've spent 15+ years refining FSR And I for one can't see can't see how going to something completely different would improve their bikes. Like you I hope they don't get slack but then that has never been what Specialized is about. They might keep the Status simple to keep costs down but i's far from a generic bike.

driftking

Wheel size expert
i don't think they'll abandon FSR as it works. People go on about it being an old design but so's the wheel. The've spent 15+ years refining FSR And I for one can't see can't see how going to something completely different would improve their bikes. Like you I hope they don't get slack but then that has never been what Specialized is about. They might keep the Status simple to keep costs down but i's far from a generic bike.
its not a matter of abandoning it, the patent runs out.

So far no the bikes are no generic but if they need to adopt a new design and are working with gwin you would expect a more rounded bike like that of the trek, rather than a bike with a distinct feel like the demo.

Its a little funny how we see gwin going longer and more balanced back towards a trek style from the demo designed around hill and we see hill shortening the CS and lengthening the front on the nukeproof, shows the two riders styles off pretty well.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Its not to subtle of Specialized to have this bike out and about at the one of the main bike parks in the world.

I think there maybe throwing a curve ball, this may like reports mention be a testing ground for angles but behind the scenes they are probably working on something very different (but then again sometimes less is more sometimes)

Dougy

Likes Dirt
its not a matter of abandoning it, the patent runs out.

So far no the bikes are no generic but if they need to adopt a new design and are working with gwin you would expect a more rounded bike like that of the trek, rather than a bike with a distinct feel like the demo.

Its a little funny how we see gwin going longer and more balanced back towards a trek style from the demo designed around hill and we see hill shortening the CS and lengthening the front on the nukeproof, shows the two riders styles off pretty well.
In terms of DH Gwinn is relitivitely inexperienced. His background in moto would certainly see him on a more centred bike. It is funny, as you say, how he seems to be trying to make the Demo more like his old Trek. The Demo certainly has a distinct feel to it and it's not for everyone, all though sales figures say it is. It will be interesting to see what comes of it as it has certainly changed a lot from what we saw 10 years ago.

driftking

Wheel size expert
In terms of DH Gwinn is relitivitely inexperienced. His background in moto would certainly see him on a more centred bike. It is funny, as you say, how he seems to be trying to make the Demo more like his old Trek. The Demo certainly has a distinct feel to it and it's not for everyone, all though sales figures say it is. It will be interesting to see what comes of it as it has certainly changed a lot from what we saw 10 years ago.
I think in terms of bike styles working for riders its hard to use sale figures. Most riders can make any well designed bike work for them and the demo is a well designed bike albeit with a unique style.. Its just much more apparent when you are a higher level racer when each second counts. Most riders will gain or lose seconds on their ability before they depend on the bike, where as high level riders are so trained that the bike although very small percentage of performance makes a big mark when those around you are having good runs too. 5 seconds of a 4 min race is only 2.8%, unless we are at the pointy end you would expect the demo to be ridden very fast by anyone. Lets be honest gwin might not be winning but his still in the top 20 in the world.

Last edited:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I think in terms of bike styles working for riders its hard to use sale figures. Most riders can make any well designed bike work for them and the demo is a well designed bike albeit with a unique style.. Its just much more apparent when you are a higher level racer when each second counts. Most riders will gain or lose seconds on their ability before they depend on the bike, where as high level riders are so trained that the bike although very small percentage of performance makes a big mark when those around you are having good runs too. 5 seconds of a 4 min race is only 2.8%, unless we are at the pointy end you would expect the demo to be ridden very fast by anyone. Lets be honest gwin might not be winning but his still in the top 20 in the world.
Dead right mate. When I mentioned sales figures it was more a tongue-in-cheek jab at kids who buy a bike because of who is riding it despite it not being what they need. Fifty percent of people that buy Demos probably only need a Status.
Not discounting Gwin's abilities at all. I just think he prefers a more geo centred bike due to his moto experience.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Under the seat tube is looking very much like the new GT....

On another note you'd have to assume that the suspension design is fairly similar in how it performs to the old demo's, even if the linkage is completely different, considering the time and effort they said they put into the Ohlin's shock to make it specifically for the demo.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Some nerds said this.

The second seat stay (the top one) isolates the brake from the front triangle, which reduces brake squat.

the brake mounts are on the upper seatstay.
when braking force is exerted, it is translated into force and moment, which leads mainly into rotation of the upper seatstay via the horst link pivot.
this way, the lower seatstay, receives less of this effect, and the shock compresses less (the shock is compressed via the lower seatstay).

you may be right!!!!
that would be a huge rocker arm!!!
interesting
@ Bigbossman -> the double seatstays are there, in order to relieve the frame from brake squat!! and they do achieve it...this frame has one of the lowest brake squat percentages in the market...(without floating brakes)