2015 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 bearing nut

John U

MTB Precision
Hey Burners.

Pulled my pretty mint 2015 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 out of the shed and been for a couple of rides. The bike is in really good nick as I sort of checked out of riding mtb for various reasons.
Anyways, giving it a wash after a solid 4 hour ride through the Dandenongs yesterday and it looks like I've lost the bolt on one side of the main pivot. Ironically I think it fell out today on a quick ride down to the local Trek shop to pick up some new tyres.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience tracking down this type of part for a Trek.

I'm keen to hold on to this frame. 1, it's basically brand new. 2. It's 2 by which is what I want. 3. It's a great bike.

The bike - https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Trek/Fuel-EX-9-8-29,15158

Going out to retrace my steps on the off chance that I can track the fucker down. Not very hopeful though.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
I think this is it ( I didn't take much notice while it was attached to the bike).
Not sure if there's anything special about it. It acted as a preload for the bearings in that location, and was quite narrow to clear the ankles and cranks. I'm not sure that a standard nut will do the job.

What I can see in the location where it cam off is a sealed bearing. Will grab a pic.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That looks like it. Local Trek might have one. It should just be a flat face to preload which is why I suggested a flange bolt and loctite.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Washer and nut in the short term. What? You don't got an M16 fine thread nut?

I can post a pic of the tap if you want to make your own.

John U

MTB Precision
That's a pretty standard nut used across many an iteration of Trek ABP bikes, fairly certain most dealers would have or be able to get.
Good call.

I couldn't stop myself last night. A store in the UK had the actual part listed online so I gave them a call to verify and ended up ordering it last night.

The local Trek shop doesn't have it in stock but is getting one in for me from Trek Central Australia. I should end up with a spare.

Have you tried another dog?
View attachment 405940
Only got one dog but she has multiple settings. I tried them all. None were helpful for fixing the bike. She's pretty useful on other stuff though.