2016 Intense Primer

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got it dirty in Bendigo for the Golden Triangle Epic. Just did the 50km against a few mates. Lost to one by 38 seconds and beat another by 45 mins. Final time was 2:44.50.

Bike performed flawlessly and was super efficient set in the 115mm travel position. Left the front at 140mm for the comfort .

Now to wash it and check for any issues

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was the Aspen thrown on there for this race?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, Aspen's both front and rear. Bloody fast tyre and decent grip too. No experience in the wet but in the dry they're awesome. Few little scary front end wash outs on the really powdery stuff you find at mass start bike races but that's pretty normal on any tyre from experience.

I'm getting my old rims built to boost hubs at the moment so I'll have some wheels to swap with some more aggressive tyres for days out with the mates.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Considering selling my Primer to fund a Sniper build. Going more in the XC direction of late and the Primer is a bit too much of a bike for what I'm doing. Of course I'd love to have both (and put a recluse link in and make her a 140/150mm bike).

Anyone got any ideas for a round about price?

I built it up as a frame only using a lot of stuff from a previous build so it's too hard to figure out how much money has been sunk into it, too much is the correct answer . Bit over 12 months of ownership and 1500kms according to Strava

Intense Primer (medium, 130mm travel)
Cane Creek IL shock (200x51)
Fox 34 140mm boost
Zelvy 35mm id carbon rims on DT Swiss 350s (SRAM freehub)
Choice of tyres (currently 2.5" DHF and 2.3 aggressor)
XTR 11sp derailleur (Hope jockey wheels)
TRS 9-46 cassette
KMC 11spd chain
XTR 11spd shifter
XTR cranks with Stages PM
Or
Next SL carbon cranks
Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes
Hope 183mm rotors
Fox 150mm transfer dropper
WTB Volt carbon saddle
Chromag 50mm stem
Chromag 760mm carbon bars
Grips
OneUp tool storage
About 13kg with the big tyres

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'll take a punt since no one else will! It's a lot of bike Phil, and given the custom built nature of it, it's a hard comparison with the factory line up. Frame isn't the SL version, but componentry wise it's at least at the Elite build level which is $10.5K new. Depends a bit on the state of the drivetrain given you've raced it, but my round figure would be somewhere around $5.5K

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll take a punt since no one else will! It's a lot of bike Phil, and given the custom built nature of it, it's a hard comparison with the factory line up. Frame isn't the SL version, but componentry wise it's at least at the Elite build level which is $10.5K new. Depends a bit on the state of the drivetrain given you've raced it, but my round figure would be somewhere around $5.5K
It's about what I was thinking

Although selling a bike for that kind of money is never going to be easy.

I just bought a weight weenie XC wheelset so I might try and do the "have my cake and eat it too" kind of bike, with a nice trail wheelset and super light race wheelset. It's light enough to race and super efficient. It's just not a super light specific XC bike.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
It's about what I was thinking

Although selling a bike for that kind of money is never going to be easy.
Nope. If you were going to sell it though I reckon the spec with the Next cranks and Hopes would be way to go. There's more of a market for an Enduro leaning trail bike than a lightweight trail slayer.

How does the TRS cassette go? Been eyeing one of them off...

slowmick

38-39"
sniper frame for racing and primer for trail riding? You an buy a lot of gear cables with the left over cash...

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope. If you were going to sell it though I reckon the spec with the Next cranks and Hopes would be way to go. There's more of a market for an Enduro leaning trail bike than a lightweight trail slayer.

How does the TRS cassette go? Been eyeing one of them off...
I like the TRS cassette for general trail riding. But when racing I put back on a Shimano driver and the 11-40 cassette for the nice tight spacing.

I will say however that the TRS cassette has developed a bit of play where it screws together. Might email them and see if it's normal but it still shifts fine.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd personally keep the Primer and just get different forks / wheels and tyres. The Sniper looks good but you'll take a caning selling it. I've always thought the Primer was versatile so you can reduce the travel and make it more XC with some selected spec choices.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd personally keep the Primer and just get different forks / wheels and tyres. The Sniper looks good but you'll take a caning selling it. I've always thought the Primer was versatile so you can reduce the travel and make it more XC with some selected spec choices.
The two wheelsets thing is sorted. Not sure how I could do the fork thing though. Seems like a 120mm fork would mess the geometry too much. But I will say I've raced it at the 115mm setting a few times and on Sunday I left it at 130mm and loved it, could push hard on the descents. And since the laps where one big climb, followed by one big descent I just used the climb switch on the shock for those marginal gains going up. But it's pretty damn efficient without it too.

Might save my pennies and see if someone's passing on a cheap duel sus XC frame in the classifieds with boost spacing. Means I get to keep the Primer, and have N+1.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I love the look of the Sniper, and for my trails here in SEQ it would be hard to beat. I had similar thoughts about going to one but the fact I can run the Primer at 115mm means it's close enough without dropping a bundle of cash on changeover. And for the bigger hits or overseas trips I've still got the ability to run longer travel. Mine did a five day enduro race without a quibble, speaks volumes of its ability!

I'm actually thinking about building up a Ripmo but will still be keeping the Primer as my fun bike as it does everything so well.

To your original question... $5.5k seems about right. Mate just sold a similar spec bike in another brand for about the same money.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate sent me a few photos he took of me racing in Harcourt over the weekend. First time racing an XCO style event and learnt a ton. Looking forward to the Vic XCO series that's happening over the spring/summer

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can’t sell it - you look like you are having too much fun!
There is something a little fun about hassling 100mm XC hardtails on a descent with your 130/140mm trail bike .

Do love this bike, I'd only sell it if I got around that 5.5k. or a decent offer on the frame/fork and I'd just swap bits over.

If I did that I'd look at getting a 140-160mm bike in the future. Something like my old Canfield Riot. Loved that bike too but it's too porky for XC racing lol. GG Smash with coil f/r would look nice next to a Sniper