2017 Nukeproof mega rear shock upgrade... spend my money

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Hey Folks.

Been a while since I posted but it's time to get off facebook and back to actual forums.

So brains trust. I want to upgrade the suspension on my 2017 Nukeproof mega 27.5 Alloy.

Currently running Monarch plus RT3 . 216 x 63 ML tune.

Up front is a 160mm lyrik... first year done so no debonair spring and first gen charger damper.

Objective: make this more of a rock garden eater. Its not a jumper, i dont do bike parks, flow trails and general trail riding. I have other bikes for that. This girl plods up hills and rides nothing but unkept, unswept, rock/root strewn rim eater rock gardens. Ladder drops, rock drops are the only air time it will see.

Speaking to a LBS. A 180mm shaft, debonair spring and damper upgrade will take care of the front... I am cool with that. It wall also have the desired effect of lifting the front. Which I feel is a little low. (Since this pic was taken I swapped out to a 30mm rise bar too and its still a bit low). We dont have descents long enough in WA to warrant coil over air. But I am open to it if debonair falls short on expectation.

But the rear??? What to do. Pull the shock out or retune???

Given I had mentally spent $1600 on new forks and I just saved 80% of that. I am open to new shock altogether. But it is an older gen shock. So not metric... this may or may not limit my options. I am out of the loop about compatibility

TIA
Cheers.
JP

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coil all around.

For that money you can easily get a Fox DHX2 ($749 at MTB Direct and available in your size), and perhaps a Vorsprung Smashpot or Push ACS3 Coil Conversion kit for the fork.

I have a Debonair Lyrik on the front, and DHX2 on the rear, and to be frank the air sprung fork just can’t compete for that lush coil feel.

Not familiar with your frame though, so would be worth checking if it has a progressive leverage ration (more suitable for coil). On a more linear or regressive frame you’ll struggle to dial our bottom out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Coil all around.

For that money you can easily get a Fox DHX2 ($749 at MTB Direct and available in your size), and perhaps a Vorsprung Smashpot or Push ACS3 Coil Conversion kit for the fork.

I have a Debonair Lyrik on the front, and DHX2 on the rear, and to be frank the air sprung fork just can’t compete for that lush coil feel.

Not familiar with your frame though, so would be worth checking if it has a progressive leverage ration (more suitable for coil). On a more linear or regressive frame you’ll struggle to dial our bottom out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually that is a great point. I will do some homework on kinematics of the leverage and leverage ratio.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Avalanche front and rear. Will absolutely transform the bike. Best and probably one of the cheaper options. Craig is a good guy to deal with and the threshold blow off valving is designed for eating square edged rocks.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk