2017 Scott Genius LT PLUS: OH CRAP NOT A PLUS BIKE! now added 29er 160mm goodness

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
So got this in from Switzerland last week via nz, finally got out on the last weekend.

Definitely a vastly different ride to what I've had in the past, but climbing is a stack easier, just point and shoot. Thus far not as nimble as the standard Genius I'd be riding, but very much capable pointed down. Keen to get it up to Bright and Buller to see how it fares.

Last edited:

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Very nice, i have the 2011 LT10 and it is still awesome to ride compared to a lot of newer bikes IMO.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Threw some 29x2.3 rubber on it today, dropped the stem 10mm, seat up 5mm and back 5mm, and probably a 5 degree roll forward on the bar.

BIG difference! a good 15 secs quicker straight out of the gate I'd reckon, much smoother through the rock, and hit jumps I'd avoided for a while! Feeling pretty close to the Evil Wreckoning I'd taken for a spin not long ago! Just needs a more progressive rear shock, and a better front fork, my pike with MRP ramp control destroys this fox thing..

Attachments

T.3

Likes Dirt
How do you find the difference in the corners speed and traction wise? Maybe the reflectors have something to do with the increase in speed...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
How do you find the difference in the corners speed and traction wise? Maybe the reflectors have something to do with the increase in speed...
Loss of traction is definitely a factor, however cornering seems to of improved. That could be due the shifting some of the weight onto the front end though. Definitely rides more enjoyably on the 29ers on hardpack, bit harder p the body when things get rough though. Will keep the plus wheels for high country.

Last edited:

T.3

Likes Dirt
Nice. Youve definately got yourself a very versatile bike there with the 2 wheels sets.

safreek

Product review on the reflectors please, Fuck I just commented in a 29r thread. Ah well good luck to you and your bike , ride hard dude

Rossm

Likes Bikes
Any updates?

Loss of traction is definitely a factor, however cornering seems to of improved. That could be due the shifting some of the weight onto the front end though. Definitely rides more enjoyably on the 29ers on hardpack, bit harder p the body when things get rough though. Will keep the plus wheels for high country.
Hi

Wondering how you are finding this after a few months of riding, and if you feel you are getting value from having two wheel sets? I have a Genius 700 Plus & debating whether to spend the money of a set of 29er hoops, particularly for long days with a lot of road/trail rather than just singletrack. I'm loving the 27.5+ traction & stability compared to the Spark 29er I had previously. However if by adding 29er wheels I really do get the promised "two bikes in one", maybe it would be a worthwhile purchase. (I know some who have said to just buy a new XC bike :eek: !!)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Was much more enjoyable on hard pack soil conditions with the 29er wheels wouldnt have as a plus option only option. Alex make a cost effective boost wheelset to suit.

Rossm

Likes Bikes
Was much more enjoyable on hard pack soil conditions with the 29er wheels wouldnt have as a plus option only option. Alex make a cost effective boost wheelset to suit.
Thanks for that feedback. If I can scrape up the cash, I had half a mind to get those blingy i9 wheels with anodised spokes & the quick engagement hubs!