2021 World Cup Downhill discussion

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Gotta say, Greenland's run impressed me. Those Mondrakers have looked like just about the roughest bikes to ride all season and he still pulled out a very swift run.

Stoked for the winner, bonus points for just pipping the man in second.

Was devo'd Daprela went down though. Love watching him ride purely because he's full send all the time!

moorey

call me Mia
Gotta say, Greenland's run impressed me. Those Mondrakers have looked like just about the roughest bikes to ride all season and he still pulled out a very swift run.

Stoked for the winner, bonus points for just pipping the man in second.

Was devo'd Daprela went down though. Love watching him ride purely because he's full send all the time!
Daprela says a mechanical caused his crash. What happened?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So I forgot to do something before the last round and look what happened...
Calling it now, Vali to crash somewhere.

beeb

Daprela says a mechanical caused his crash. What happened?
Like @creaky said, he was just doing standard Enve things...

I watched the replay and slow-mo's a few time. Pretty innocuous bit of track in between rocks. Maybe there was a small rock hidden out of sight of the camera, but it seemed like the wheel failed before the fork even made it to a quarter of the travel. Maybe it'd already broken and that was just when it let go, but yeah... :oops:

Ooft! o_O

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Like @creaky said, he was just doing standard Enve things...

View attachment 380343

View attachment 380344

I watched the replay and slow-mo's a few time. Pretty innocuous bit of track in between rocks. Maybe there was a small rock hidden camera, but it seemed like the wheel failed before the fork even made it to a quarter of the travel. Maybe it'd already broken and that was just when it let go, but yeah... :oops:

View attachment 380345

Ooft! o_O
Just watched it

Made that rim look like it was made of cheese

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I watched that stack from Daprela and wondered how he got up. I'm sure his ancestors felt that hit.

If he's not got concussion I'd be amazed. And it looked his right hand took some impact too.

Did the tyre burp / let go then the wheel hit a rock and just folded, or was the wheel already folding before the tyre went off?
I'm not sure if any rim would hold up hitting those rocks at that pace.

beeb

Did the tyre burp / let go then the wheel hit a rock and just folded, or was the wheel already folding before the tyre went off?
The way the rim cracked right through despite not really having a hard hit in that section of track, I reckon the tyre rolled off as the rim broke apart. More than likely it partially failed a few meters earlier, but hadn't fully split until the torsional loading occured as he entered the corner.

I'm not sure if any rim would hold up hitting those rocks at that pace.
...except for every other wheel of every other bike in the field, including underneath the people that went faster than him. There's the argument that he was just unlucky. But also, Enve's history.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Only a true gumby would have got lower than me....oh, awkward.
Told you, I still had Connor on my team aha.. Thought I'd put Dak in for some local knowledge benefit in the last round. Probably he will crash out in qualifying :rolleyes:

moorey

call me Mia
Told you, I still had Connor on my team aha.. Thought I'd put Dak in for some local knowledge benefit in the last round. Probably he will crash out in qualifying :rolleyes:
Yeah, thought the same about Dak, but he's one of those where his price never seems to justify his results. I'm a little worried about Daprela now. He'll want to put on a brave face and race for the overall win....but that was a brutal hit.