DH 224 evo

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When using TFTuned's calculator, it is important to remember to include the sprung weight of your bike.

The sprung weight is exactly what it sounds like, the bits of the bike that act to compress the suspension (seat, post, cockpit, cranks, guide, parts of frame).

I was told a good estimate for most bikes is between 15-25lbs.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
New weight and bits.

DSP Ti spring, 2011 Formula The Ones.

I'm considering an Avalanche cartridge for the forks later on.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Yeah 350 sounds light for 95kg. I,m 67kg and considering going from the 350 to a 400 on the DHX5 or going to a new shock RC4.
I get 23% atm which is the reason I haven't went to a 400.
I would drop to a 300, if you only get 23% sag from a 350.
Also if you do goto a RC4 you will deffinatly need to drop down a spring rate, becasue of the larger shaft size.
You might even need to go lower than 300.

Last edited:

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Never have to worry about finding the right spring?

Tested out a Vivid Air and some World Cups a little while ago. Dropped the weight to 16.1kg. They rode great too.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
How did the V air feel Jase
I really liked it. I couldn't fault the feel of it, it was just like a coil. Though I only used it for short runs, so I can't say much about it heating up or anything. It was pretty easy to set up and the dampening was pretty good, not on the same level as the BOS I normally run, but it never felt harsh on anything I rode. So yeah, I'd give it 2 thumbs up, especially as it was 250g lighter than the Stoy with Ti spring.
I like the way it gives you options for more or less sag for where you're riding with a few pumps of a shock pump.

XC tyres for an XC bike :D
Word.:D

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, maybe if I put some XC tyres on it. How did that work out?:p
Speaking of xc tyres, how are the Schwalbe tyres?
I was thinking of trying the freeride ones (run tubeless).
Possibly Muddy Mary Front, Wicked Will rear.. There obviously a bigger bag than a 2.5 minnion.. but how do they compare otherwise?

Cheers
ev

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Speaking of xc tyres, how are the Schwalbe tyres?
I was thinking of trying the freeride ones (run tubeless).
Possibly Muddy Mary Front, Wicked Will rear.. There obviously a bigger bag than a 2.5 minnion.. but how do they compare otherwise?

Cheers
ev
I don't know much about the freeride casing. I have the DH ones. The Wicked Wills are sweet. They're at least as good as the Minion IMO, plenty of grip and they roll fast.
I'm running the 2.35 version tubeless and they're about the same size as the 2.5 Minion. Have you run the Muddy Mary before? I felt they were a bit too squirmy on hardpack. But its personal preference, I guess.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I havent used the Schwalbe on my Dh at all, love them on my xc bike though.

Im currently running 2.5 Minion front and a 2.4 Onza on the rear (which is actually not a bad rear tyre, good side grip, rolls super fast, and only 1000g abouts).
Both running tubeless with goo.

I can see what you mean about the MM may be squirmy on hardpack.. obviously mroe suited to more loamey/sandy/loose/mud surfaces.
But i am liking the look of the side knobs on them.. which look to be a touch bigger than the WW.

Last edited:

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
I reckon the WW side knobs go pretty well. They look small but theres plenty of grip there when you lean them over. I think they're an ideal tyre for Aussie conditions, they roll fast and work great on rock/hard pack tracks. I wouldn't use them in loam or the wet, there isn't much tread depth or clearance between knobs.

I've read the Triple Nano is good as a rear and the Gooey Gluey is better for front. Mine are wearing pretty well so far too.

Weight wise I'm not sure how they go? Sicklines has the 2.5 WW at 1455g (equivalent to a Minion 2.7), but I'd assume the 2.35 is a fair bit lighter than that.

Last edited:

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Update

So I've scored myself a K9 Race steel spring and some thrust bearings. I was originally wanting a 375 K9 Ti spring but there is a bit of a delay on those, so me being the delicate flower that I am, couldn't wait. So I went with the Race spring, its a lightweight spring weighing in at 400g compared to my last 350 Ti which was 360g! Not bad for less than 1/2 the price of Ti! Its also a massive difference over my 375 BOS steel spring, by 150g!

I already have roller bearings in the eyelets of my shock so I thought I would go totally bind free with the K9 thrust bearings as well. They allow the spring to rotate as it compresses eliminating any friction between the collar and spring (admittedly a small difference, but it is noticeable).

Hee's the pics, the finish on the spring is fantastic, very high quality! The Race steel springs are custom made for K9 by Eibach. Anyone wanting one of these can contact Pushie Enterprises. Brilliant customer service too, thanks to Al.

Last edited:

HAR

Likes Bikes
That looks soooooo nice, must be completely free of stiction now. Did you get the fork thrust bearing as well as the shock?
After a flogging I'd be keen to hear how they go.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
New Shizzle

So I've always loved Burgtec stuff.

Classy.

RideWider 2012 Bar. Comes in 780mm but I'm not an Orang-utan so they're cut to 750mm. You can also see my Elka fork cart in this picture, which is f*king rad BTW.

Burgtec Penthouse Flat pedals with Ti spindle, 440g a set. I ditched the Po1nt pedals due to them being a pain in the arse on crank holder shuttle trailers and my Grip rack.

The pedals are SUPER grippy, I love e'm! Once again, thanks to Pushie.

Last edited:

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
love it to bits! always had a thing for the 222's and 224's. really would love to get one, interested on a ride report of these, and what they feel similar to if anything at all!