23kg baggage allowance / Virgin Australia / Downhill Bikes

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
Just interested to see how everyone goes with travelling on Virgin Australia with their downhill bike?

My wife and I are wanting to get over to Queenstown soon, but the 23kg limit seems like it might be a bit of a struggle given the low weight allowance. From memory my TR450 weighs in at exactly 37lbs, so just shy of 17kg, with my wife's bike being about the same, only challenge is that we need to bring clothes, basic tools, helmets and shoes along too obviously.

Any suggestions on the cheapest/best way out of this? Am I better off looking at other airlines?

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buying Minions in Queenstown would drop 2kg from the bike weight. How close are you to the weight limit?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Premium Economy tickets having a bigger baggage allowance. it's an option if you can jag them for the right price.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've managed to travel with a DH bike on a 20kg checked luggage limit a number of times over the past few years. My advice:

1) Pedals and chain in carry-on bag.
2) Helmet attached to carry on bag.
3) Expect to smell bad after a few days in the same clothes.

You've got an extra 3kg though...

bolger

Cannon Fodder
I've managed to travel with a DH bike on a 20kg checked luggage limit a number of times over the past few years. My advice:

I'm going to Rotorua with a mate and we are thinking of solving this problem by having our bikes couriered over there (and back) through DHL or something like that. Anyone got any experience or advice on that sort of thing?

LeeD

Likes Dirt
There is a "Flying with bikes" thread in the DH section.
Also if you fly Jetstar you can purchase extra weight for not to much.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy a new front tyre and tubes in Q town as said . Also use bubble wrap on your bike not cardboard . Use your elbow guards to protect fork lowers and leg/ knee armour to protect chain stay / drop outs . The most important thing is the box , check its weight and cut it down . The carry on bag is a small back pack ( check dimentions ) and if you roll your cloths up tight just like a sleeping bag you can get loads in and your trainers . Wear your bike shoes , jeans and jacket on the plane and take your helmet in its bag on as carry on ( stuffed with stuff ) you are also alowed a lap top and camera Don't take loads of tools just multi and tyre leaves . Remember to thought you toiletries in the bike box .

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Fly Air NZ

Air NZ understands you're going to NZ with your toys and makes allowances for that. From memory if you pay $20 extra you get a 10kg allowance.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Me and a mate just did the Queenstown trip - got back yesterday. We flew Virgin to Christchurch and drove down. Each purchased the 23kg check-in baggage allowance each way. My bag ended up weighing 29kg (that was just bike, bag, helmet, shoes and a few tools). Thankfully we didn't get charged any excess baggage at all either way. All our clothes we just squeezed into carry on baggage.

Its luck of the draw though.

juzz

Likes Dirt
Hey I went to queenstown in jan and flew with air newzealand if you take a bike it is sporting goods excess baggage and charge $25 nz which equates to $20 au each way

floody

Wheel size expert
I'm going to Rotorua with a mate and we are thinking of solving this problem by having our bikes couriered over there (and back) through DHL or something like that. Anyone got any experience or advice on that sort of thing?
A friend of mine did this.

Bike was endlessly delayed, lost a week or so of his trip (allowed like 3 weeks for it to get there...).

Bike was badly damaged, box appears to have been opened then dragged around upside down. Ground his stem down level with the clamp bolts, damaged paint on top tube, wrecked seat etc. Many items inside box lost etc.

Cost more than excess baggage fee to ship.

Recouping cost of damage was a nightmare that played out for a few months.

Funnily enough, this was DHL.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently flew from the US on a VAustralia flight with skis and a DH bike. VAustralia recently changed their policy in regards to sporting equipment. For long haul you pay $50 to take the bike (which is half the price of an extra bag because it is sporting equipment)

Having a quick look at the short haul section on the VAust site it is quite vague. I would give them a call and see if you cant pre-purchase an extra bag for "sporting equipment." From my experience (and ive taken the DH bike all over the world) they are probably the best airline for accommodating sporting equipment.

Graunched

Likes Dirt

I have difficulty imagining them letting you through security with a bike chain in your carry on.....

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Air-freight would be a very expensive option. There is no benefit in doing this. I would just pay the additional $20-50 for sporting goods, it's cheaper and chances are it'll arrive when you do.

Just make sure you clean your bike and gear (esp pedals and shoes) very well and declare it. Kiwi's are pretty hot on biosecurity - far more so than us over here. I forgot to declare a tent once heading into NZ. Bad idea, was almost a very expensive mistake.