24.5lb S Works Enduro build

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I picked up this 2012 S works frame from a fellow rotorburner and put this build together for summer. I seriously like light bikes with little compromise ( my M6 DH bike is 33lb and has done two seasons at Thredbo, Val Di Sole etc with no breakage ) so after swapping all the bits from my AL Nomad and a few new parts this is what I've ended up with. I've got a pair of Gatestar 2.35 Racing Ralphs coming which might replace this new Michelin R2 combo - will try both and see as I havent ridden either tyre before. The RR's will weight about the same (550 grams each). I will also probably try a DB Air on this bike courtesy of a 2013 shock yoke - that'll add 200 grams so the bike will still sneak in under 25lbs. I am measuring up for an 8.75*2.5 stroke that will give me near 180mm rear travel too match the front. Might work might not we'll see.

Final weight is 11.11kg or 24.49lbs. Pretty good for a 180mm Float 36 forked genuine All mountain bike I think!

Frame - 2012 S Works Enduro
Rear shock - Fox Float Rp23 160mm travel
Front fork - Fox Float 180mm RC2 Fit. brake posts cut down to allow direct mount caliper with 180mm rotor.
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar lite Carbon
Stem - Renthal Duo 50mm
Headset - FSA integrated. New machined lower sleeve to raise the fork 8mm inside the lower headtube to lower the front end and compensate for the 180mm fork.
Grips - Renthal Soft Slip on. ODI end caps
Saddle - Specialized Phenom carbon rail
Seatpost - Hylix (china carbon) cut down some.
Front brake - Magura MT8. Alligator 180mm rotor.
Rear brake - Magura MT8. Alligator 180mm rotor. Custom post mount brackets.
Cranks - Sram X0. Absolute Black narrow wide chainring 28T
Chainguide - none
Chain - KMC X10SL
Pedals - Dabomb barebones
Rear derailleur - XTR Clutch 10 speed
Rear shifter - XTR
Cassette - Sram XX 11-36
Front hub - Roval
Rear hub - Roval
Front rim - Roval Traverse SL Aluminium
Rear rim - Roval Traverse SL Aluminium
Tyres - Michelin Wild Gripper R2 advanced Front, Wild Racer R2 advanced rear.
Tubes - No Tubes
Other - Ti bolts. Over the BB cable routing. Removable rear axle lever. Inner tube chainstay guard instead of stock plastic thing.
Total weight - 11.11kg (24.49lb)

EnduroRight.jpg

Enduroleft.jpg

Enduroweight.jpg

Earlysport

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Wow! Very impressive weight!
thats proper light for such a beast.... But where's the dropper bro?!?!? Can't call it a genuine AM bike without a dropper :p

any reason you routed the brake hose up and over the downtube? Instead of matching it up with the gear cable?
How's those wheels holding up given 28H front?

sweet sweet build dude!

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Nice bike. No doubt it climbs well with that weight and gearing, but how do you go with 25km/h top pedalling speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zam

Likes Dirt
Nice bike, wish I could afford to upgrade my 2009 S-Works Enduro to something like this....

teK--

Eats Squid
Ridiculous weight! Needs more gearing for descents given the fork isn't the best to be for a climbers bike...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
nice bike, but i think it has an identity crisis.
geared for uphill, but sprung for down hill... i assume it is going to do neither that well?

also, isn't the magura RT8 a rim brake? :wacko:

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
very impressive weight.

a pretty good effort, given that it is mainly comprised of parts brought over from another bike. but given the overall bike setup, and the kind of riding it would be suited to, it has a few compromises in the parts on it.

yeah, the 28T. that's a 26er, right? with that 28T and a 11T rear cog, you'd spin out even on any straight flat sections, let alone slightly downhill. with that kind of travel, you are riding that thing at speed aren't you?

i dunno about going to RaRa's. if those gatestar 26" 2.35s have the same tread as the 2.35s on my 29er XC bike, there's no way i'd be putting those tyres on my 26er 6"+ trail bike. with the kind of abuse that chassis can put up with, i'd be looking at ~800g tyres to match. that's me though (not a whippet).

ditto on where's the dropper post.

dunno much about the rims on there, but to me that bike screams gimme some wide carbon rims.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Good feedback guys!

Regarding the 28t front chain wheel, I have ridden that gearing for a couple of years on my nomad and it seemed good for my kind of riding, but maybe I don't pedal flat out on the flats or downhill? I definitely do more than 30 km/hr though. Anyway a 30T or 32 is but an email and $60 away.. I'm keeping in mind though that a 30T seems a popular 1x size, and that's only 7% bigger than a 28T and a 32 is only 14% bigger, so I'm thinking in real life that's why the 28 - 11 has been ok ( as it has been prior ). I run a 32 on my DH bike and don't spin out at Thredbo but then I don't crank down towards the big jump (60kmhr measured speed down there is quick enough for me).

Both brake and shifter run above the bottom bracket as running them next to the swingarm pivot stops the crazy cable growth that occurs when they run underneath it.

Tyres I"ll wait and see. I run hans dampfs on my DH bike and have only flatted once, so I guess I ride lightly. I've been riding for many many years (think judy DH forks as to when I transitioned from BMX to mtb) so I tend to unweight and hop rather than bash through stuff. That said I tried maxxis ikons once and sliced the sidewalls to pieces in a day.

And the wheelset is the factory s works enduro wheelset. I've got a set of sun ringle charger pros that I have ridden for two years and weigh the same (1650 grams) that I can swap on.

And lastly dropper post, I might, but I'm not racing, and I carry a 4mm Allen key, and have trouble giving up a pound of weight :)

The headset mod is indeed a custom spacer made up of a 3.5mm long steel piece mated to a 1.5 crown race (to meet up with the internal head tube flange) - this replaces the 12mm long factory spacer. I then had to file some off the outer lip of the forks crown race to ensure no rubbing as it's now inside the head tube. The rear brake mounts are two machined thick wall AL tubes to position the caliper just right. And oh, I run 6 rotor bolts in each wheel, and they're (gasp) steel.

What I learnt during this build is that if you were committed to a lightweight build with this frame (34 mm 160 forks, carbon wheelset, lighter pedals and seat, esi grips) you could save another pound and a half off my build.

Not everyone's into light bikes, and that's cool, but riding a light bike makes me happy.

Cheers

Earlysport

Ps. I'm waiting for the 'take a dump before you ride' comment that seems to come with every thread about lightweight builds.. Lol

Last edited:

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
So just did some research and at a 90rpm cadence (recommended endurance cadence apparently) the 28-11 gearing with 26" wheels gives 31 km/hr, and at a 120rpm sprint 40 km/hr.

I think that's why I've been ok on this gearing, as on trails like red hill, Davidson, oxy, manly dam etc speeds over 40 are very occasional at best I'm guessing..

Cheers

Craig

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Awesome rig, and I'm glad your riding y he gearing that suits you.
I will say however, that you do not, by any means need to be racing to enjoy the benefits of a dropper.
It's worth its weight in gold when riding all mountain type trails. Unless your one of these "let's sit at the trail head and talk shite about how light my bike is" people and not actually ride it, then by all means stick with a fixed post.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im still picking my jaw up off the floor after reading the weight.. :high5:

I have the 2012 SWorks in the fluro yellow, and it weighs high 13's.. Your bike must feel great to ride. Nice one..

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Nice bike mate! Droppers are nice but they are a luxury. What did we all do before droppers? I run one now but everyone is different. Also depends if you run a correct seat height for climbing or don't mind sacrificing correct seat height for better descending? Also a mate of mine (Chopsticks can attest to this) is probably the only guy in our group of friends who doesn't have a dropper and he is one of the quicker riders, and not just quick compared to us but quick in climbing and descending.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Nice bike mate! Droppers are nice but they are a luxury. What did we all do before droppers? I run one now but everyone is different.
I have to disagree with this statement.
That's a bit like saying that a dual suspension bike it a luxury, hydraulic brakes are a luxury, or that 10speed is a luxury.
Innovation moves us on, and droppers are without doubt here to stay.
An all mountain bike is not an all mountain bike without a dropper, regardless if some dude you know is quicker without one.
A dropper will add at least 350-400g to any bike.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Haha, this!

Got a photo of the bike being weighed where you can see ALL of it? Can't make those numbers add up in my head looking at it.
Ha yeah for sure. I'll post another on the weekend. I might put the kit carbonio seat on it from my road bike and save another 40 grams :)

I've built a few light bikes and I suggest look at the following parts;

Bars, pedals, and cassette. My bars are 175grams, pedals are 330, and I forget wright of the xx 10 speed but it's light. These parts are light and give up zero functionality.

Oh, and tyres.

Cheers

Earlysport

Ps. When you talk light look at road bikes. My old giant tcr framed roadie weighs 6.2kg and I didn't spend a fortune, but did spend a lot of time researching..