24 solo nationals easter

courts

Likes Bikes
My apologies if this question has already been discussed/answered elsewhere but I was unable to find it, any word on whether the Easter 24 hour solo nationals is on for 2014?
cheers

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Saturday 19 April

My apologies if this question has already been discussed/answered elsewhere but I was unable to find it, any word on whether the Easter 24 hour solo nationals is on for 2014?
cheers
CORC gave all us members a 2014 Calendar [for Christmas!] to hang on the back of the door to the throne room which has all CORC run club and national events. It says Onya Bike Nat 24Hr Solo Champs Saturday 19 April [Easter Saturday]. On your usual 50k limit you should be able to squeeze about three laps in....:couch2:

Unfortunately I have a headache that day... and the Monaro Cloudride 1000 starting:wave:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
CORC gave all us members a 2014 Calendar [for Christmas!] to hang on the back of the door to the throne room which has all CORC run club and national events. It says Onya Bike Nat 24Hr Solo Champs Saturday 19 April [Easter Saturday]. On your usual 50k limit you should be able to squeeze about three laps in....:couch2:

Unfortunately I have a headache that day... and the Monaro Cloudride 1000 starting:wave:
Hey Steve,
I agree 50km is about my limit for racing, I think courts' endurance is significantly longer though (different person but very similar name :))

Is the Monaro Cloudride ready to rock? I'll be tracking you online with interest :)

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
On your usual 50k limit you should be able to squeeze about three laps in....:couch2:

Ooooops! Apologies Courts for my slanderous inference! No paying attention .... I'm pleased to hear you have a bit more stamina than the other pretender:friendly_wink:

Is the Monaro Cloudride ready to rock? I'll be tracking you online with interest :)

Coming along nicely, a dozen or so starters at the moment, might end up with twenty which is the upper limit of my expectations. A few recent past year US Tour Divide luminaries and a few who have entered for June TDR14.

akashra

Eats Squid
CORC are running the 24hr Solo event over Easter as in other years; MTBA will have an announcement concerning the 2014 24hr National Championships in the coming weeks. Unfortunately this is all I can say at this moment.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :yuck::smow::faint2::pout::closed_2::fear::drama::tsk::puke::shocked::suspicious::rain::boom::nono::rip::violin::heart-borken::upset::frown-new:

http://corc.asn.au/news/easter-solo-24-on-hold-for-2014/

I completely understand the notion of volunteer burn out, but am nonetheless very sad to read that the greatest race on our calender each year will not be running

I am also very concerned to read the suggestion that the MTBA is pulling the plug on a Solo 24 Hour Nationals because it isn't UCI supported

At the very least the MTBA could just pick one of the private 24hr races (eg Rocky Trail Jet Black 24 or Forrest 24) and declare it the Nationals. It would be sad if the contingent to Scotland didn't have 2014 national champions at the helm

Nonetheless, I'd just like to thank the CORC team for their tireless efforts for the many years of awesome Easter racing

24Hrs in Cloudride

I think by any measure CORC have had a huge workload over the past twelve months with club events, the 24hr Nationals at Easter, the Scott 24hr on the October long weekend followed by WEMBO. Little wonder there is some volunteer fatigue. … but a standing ovation to them for their efforts.

For those that have been working towards a 2014 Easter 24Hr, as an alternative, I’m going to add a 24hr component with a difference to the Monaro Cloudride which is set to start in Canberra on Easter Saturday.

Basically anyone wanting to just do 24hrs can start with the 1000k riders at 8:00 am or at the traditional 24hr start time @ 12Noon and pedal as far as they can along the Cloudride1000k route in 24hours. The difference is you will need to ride unsupported and resupply along the route under the same constraints as the 1000k riders. You will have to hire from us a SPOT and be registered on trackleaders.com for route compliance. Hit the stop button on your SPOT on 24hours and will calculate your route distance for the elapsed time.

I’m negotiating some pretty decent prizemoney …..

image.jpeg

We will organise a pick-up service [at end 24hrs] to retrieve you and your bike and return you back to Canberra on Sunday afternoon.

Should be fun and pretty easy for those that just want to get out there and crank it for 24 hours!

I’ll post up full details for the 24hr component on our website in a couple of days.

www.cloudride1000.com

wavike

Likes Dirt
Option 1 - When: Saturday, 19 April – Sunday 20 April 2014 Where: Spicers Hidden Vale – Hidden Vale Adventure Park (HVAP) What: KONA Hidden Vale 24HR – Easter Weekend Race Options: 24HR – 4HR – 24MIN (KIDS). The Easter Weekend ‘KONA Hidden Vale 24HR’ is a Solo, Team Relay and Kids mountain biking event starting at 12pm Saturday and finishing at 12pm Sunday. Grandchester SEQld

akashra

Eats Squid
Wow, just wow.

With regards to that statement from CORC about MTBA and their support of 24hr, I'll be chasing up where it comes from. I can assure you that based on our own discussions this has no factual or justified basis going on what was recently agreed by the MTBA committee in relation to this years and future 24 hour championships. As you can imagine, I'm rather unimpressed that CORC would publish such a statement.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Wow, just wow.

With regards to that statement from CORC about MTBA and their support of 24hr, I'll be chasing up where it comes from. I can assure you that based on our own discussions this has no factual or justified basis going on what was recently agreed by the MTBA committee in relation to this years and future 24 hour championships. As you can imagine, I'm rather unimpressed that CORC would publish such a statement.
So what was agreed by the MTBA commitee with regards to this years 24 and how long until something released?

akashra

Eats Squid
So what was agreed by the MTBA commitee with regards to this years 24 and how long until something released?
I'll chase up and get confirmation on what I can and can't say, because I can't go discussing details of what gets discussed in meetings until we agree it's to be published, but I don't believe it objectionable at all to that I don't know where that statement came from regarding agreed policy, and that it was not agreed policy, nor a position that we won't support 24hr racing in the future.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah, so is everyone, that's why I'm trying to ensure this comes out in an official manner not rumours and whisperings that just spark confusion and misinformation.

courts

Likes Bikes
a shame about easter solo but also a big thanks to CORC. I hope there is an Aussie champs sometime in the year! Bright or Wombat would be great!!

sossy

Saucier
I'll chase up and get confirmation on what I can and can't say, because I can't go discussing details of what gets discussed in meetings until we agree it's to be published, but I don't believe it objectionable at all to that I don't know where that statement came from regarding agreed policy, and that it was not agreed policy, nor a position that we won't support 24hr racing in the future.
Surely as MTBA members we should be able to request minutes of the committee meetings? Surely this information in minuted?

akashra

Eats Squid
My apologies, this took a couple of days longer than I would have liked and intended to get published on the MTBA website. This went up last night, with the EOI document now available. Follow article for links to documents.

http://www.mtba.asn.au/news/2113-mtba-support-continues-for-national-24-hour-racing
MTBA said:
MTBA previously had awarded the 2014 Australian Solo 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships to Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC) however following the recent announcement by CORC that they would not be holding their Easter Solo 24 Hour in 2014, MTBA have decided to go public to seek expressions of interest to run this event for the period 2014 to 2016 so that riders can contest this discipline at National Championship level. The Expression of Interest document will be available on the MTBA website within one week however if clubs or promoters have any immediate questions they should raise them with the MTBA Executive Officer, Shane Coppin, at eo@mtba.asn.au

For 15 years, CORC have been the driving force behind Australian 24 hour mountain biking and their efforts have seen two World Solo 24Hr championships held in Australia, plus the creation of the Australian Solo 24 Hour Championships which they have held as a stand-alone event since 2006. They have promoted Australian 24 hour riders to the world and the support they have given sees Australia firmly placed as the top Solo 24 hour nation, with Jason English (4 world championships and 2012 Australian Mountain Biker of the Year) and Jess Douglas (3 world championships) currently in the throne previously occupied by Australians Craig Gordon and the late James Williamson. MTBA fully understands CORC's decision not to hold this even in 2014 an MTBA recognises the impact that events of this status have on volunteers in our clubs.

The MTBA Committee have re-affirmed their support for a national solo 24 Hour mountain bike title and encourage clubs and promoters who currently hold endurance events to respond to the EOI. 24 hour racing is an activity which, at the team level, gets thousands of riders into our sport.
The status of 24 Hour racing in terms of UCI recognition has no bearing on the recognition that MTBA gives to this popular arm of your sport and MTBA is committed to seeing this format grow into the future.
Download Expression of Interest here.