24 solo on a hardtail?

macboy

Likes Dirt
Just wanting to find out what the general consensus is on doing a 24 solo on hardtail? I'm wanting to do the Kona this year but the plans on sorting myself an enduro daullie have been skuttled by the Head of the Fun Wrecking Committe (aka, the wife).
So, firstly,

Is doing it on hardtail a stupid idea?

Secondly,

Will it kill me?

macboy

Likes Dirt
Sweet.
I'll stop sulking about not getting the duallie then.:p
On a rigid is pretty full on. Rode with a guy on a 29", rigid, single speed during the Forrest 6 hr. He looked less knackered at the end than I did.:confused:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Will let you know... about to do the world champs on a hardtail. Although it is a 29er... more of a hardtail with privileges! Doing it on a 26in hardtail is crazy talk!

:)

mr-grumpy

Likes Bikes
Just wanting to find out what the general consensus is on doing a 24 solo on hardtail?
consensus? money buys bikes. if you have money - buy bikes. If you dont just ride....

Is doing it on hardtail a stupid idea?
no not stupid, not really even silly..

Will it kill me?
No, not unless you have a congenital heart defect

Just do it, enjoy the ride and the beer when your done

Bermshot

Banned
consensus? money buys bikes. if you have money - buy bikes. If you dont just ride....

no not stupid, not really even silly..

No, not unless you have a congenital heart defect

Just do it, enjoy the ride and the beer when your done
What about your back?

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm starting to walk like a cripple just thinking about solo 24 on anything less than a bike with four inches of travel.. but, there is a big difference between walking like a cripple for a week or two and not being able to hold a pen, and death. It won't kill you.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
The first time I attempted a 24, I was on my Anthem dually, the second one was on my XTC hardtail, running as a single speed. All things considered, I actually enjoyed riding the HT SS for 24 hours a lot more than the dually.
On the dually I was overthinking things, when to lockout, if I was in the right gear, should I grind or spin up hills, whats that funny noise from the suspension? my gears are playing up, etc etc.
On the HT SS, its simple. Ride, eat, ride, drink, ride some more, eat, ride a bit more, drink pedal pedal pedal......
My choice would be go the HT, ditch the gears and enjoy the experience...

Oh, and the sore back comments...I find on the HT I can't ride lazy like I do on the dually. On the HT I am forced to stand up through the smaller bumps that I wouldnt bother standing for on the dually, and it is these smaller bumps that you think are being absorbed by the suspension that cause me grief later in the day. The dually feels better at the start of the race, but I end up suffering for being lazy and trying to conserve energy 8 or 9 hours later.

Last edited:

Bermshot

Banned
The first time I attempted a 24, I was on my Anthem dually, the second one was on my XTC hardtail, running as a single speed. All things considered, I actually enjoyed riding the HT SS for 24 hours a lot more than the dually.
On the dually I was overthinking things, when to lockout, if I was in the right gear, should I grind or spin up hills, whats that funny noise from the suspension? my gears are playing up, etc etc.
On the HT SS, its simple. Ride, eat, ride, drink, ride some more, eat, ride a bit more, drink pedal pedal pedal......
My choice would be go the HT, ditch the gears and enjoy the experience...

Oh, and the sore back comments...I find on the HT I can't ride lazy like I do on the dually. On the HT I am forced to stand up through the smaller bumps that I wouldnt bother standing for on the dually, and it is these smaller bumps that you think are being absorbed by the suspension that cause me grief later in the day. The dually feels better at the start of the race, but I end up suffering for being lazy and trying to conserve energy 8 or 9 hours later.
Interesting.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Its 24 hours on a bike. Something will hurt, but you won't die. If it is just your back then you will probably be fine. If your liver starts hurting maybe go and see the st johns people. Stretching and core work is your friend, no matter what kind of rider you are. Less injury, less hurt, less fatigue, faster riding.

macboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your imput guys.
I guess I'll have to keep reminding myself it's not a sprint and not to hammer through every rutted corner or rough section like I would in a XC or team race.

dyon

Likes Bikes
Nothing wrong with doing a solo 24 on a HT. I've done it and didn't have any back problems. It was a muddy rooty course rather than a rocky course though.