24 vs 26" wheels

cappy

Likes Bikes
Hey all.

Because my full suspension bike has lifted the bottom bracket height by around 1.5" (when compared to my hardtail), I have been told to give 24" wheels a try (I am 5'7"). Anyone out there care to comment?

I figured that if I reduce my centre of gravity a little, it may improve traction and control (ie agility). Or is it worse for XC/enduro riding?

Cheers

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if it is for an xc rig, i wouldnt try it.
Just get used to your higher bb? much cheaper too.

big rozy

Likes Dirt
a lower centre will help you corner better

but in saying that i'd just get used to the higher bb

Matt H

Eats Squid
Heck, for enduro and xc don't even consider it. 24"'s make rolling over things a hell of a lot harder and just wouldn't be as efficient

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
your full suspension bike should run some sag which drops the bottom bracket when you sit on it.

I had a 24 inch wheel on the back of my dh rig many years ago
(2000 model stab primo) and I would never go there again.
stick to your 26 inch wheels

avablast

Likes Dirt
Having gone from full 24"s front and rear, to a 26" front 24" rear set up. I would say in a straightline 26"s are more positive and sure footed. With dual 24's, In rutted corners i could sling my bike around like it was on rails but was a little twitchy and not so positive, but i think its more of a tyre choice and tyre pressure prob. Having gone from a high roller 24" st front to a minion st 26" front. I personally like the 24" rear, because i run and like to run a low seat height and got sick of hearing my tyre hit my seat before it got full travel. Plus i have snapped a seat because of that. Although i ride an A line so i can adjust my geo with the rear shock to suit both set ups.

Last edited:

Viv92

Eats Squid
I've heard that many freerider's use 24 inch rear wheels. Is there something about strength for hucking going on or something?

Hey all.

Because my full suspension bike has lifted the bottom bracket height by around 1.5" (when compared to my hardtail), I have been told to give 24" wheels a try (I am 5'7"). Anyone out there care to comment?

I figured that if I reduce my centre of gravity a little, it may improve traction and control (ie agility). Or is it worse for XC/enduro riding?

Cheers
for xc/enduro?
i wouldnt even consider it... it will just cost you more hard earned peanuts and complicate things unnecessarily.

as stevo says... don't muck with it!

cappy

Likes Bikes
Did a shop tell you that?
Sure did. Won't say who it was (not a lbs tho), but I usually check out you blokes first (so thanks for the advice - it's been top notch). Not sure what I can do about the agility thing. Trails here are kinda rocky, sandy and muddy. The rain season hammers the trails and washes away any top soil. I reckon it's a matter of getting used to them - and I am not sure if a tyre selection can help. But thanks to the posts, I am staying clear of 24's.