24hr World Champ defies hottest Sydney night on record

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Despite Sydney suffering the hottest overnight temperature ever recorded there were still 350 mountain bike riders keen to ride throughout the night to finish the JetBlack 24 hour race at Wisemans Ferry over the weekend. Organizers added extra water stations with ice and sprays to keep the riders hydrated as temperatures rose over the 42 degrees C mark.

The extremely hot conditions were not enough to stop two time World Champion solo rider, Jason English, from claiming his third consecutive 24 hr JetBlack title. English from Port Macquarie recorded 44 laps of the 9.8 km circuit at the Del Rio Resort. This race marked English’s first 24 hour race after claiming the 2010 world title in Canberra in October.

This race turned into a a different sort of challenge to survive the searing heat.

The new Merida rider said he had never experienced such conditions and found himself changing his race plans.

“At one stage I was drinking four bottles in an hour,” reported English.

English was in second place overall after the first lap but the four man team of Czech riders, named “Bernard”, were proving too strong.

“I was trying to race them for the first five hours, “ admitted English. “It was then I realized I had no chance.”

“I thought I better be sensible,” said English.

There was a close race developing for the overall win which saw the team of four Czech riders, Ondrej Slezak, Michal Kafka, Victor Svacek and Michal Burda (Sydney) up against a team of two Canberra riders. Andrew Hall and Ed McDonald eventually finished one lap down and with a very impressive 57 laps putting them second overall.

The other solo men’s podium places was decided in the early hours of the morning when Joe Johnston made a move which eventually gave him second in solo men. The Bowral rider recorded 40 laps, a remarkable result considering it was his first 24 hour race. Chris Mohen from Willoughby completed a respectable 38 laps and claimed third place.

The solo women’s winner was Jac Kennett from Glenfield.

The solo riders in the newer event, the 6+6, were just as competitive. The men’s winner was Brendan Trotter from Faulconbridge recorded 25 laps in a total of 12 hours. The women’s winner was World Champion solo rider, Belinda Porter from Port Macquarie.

Some of the other triumphs were the Newcastle’s tandem pair of John Domandl and his pilot Tony Browne. The Newcastle pair completing their first ever mountain bike race and over 12 hours managed 16 laps.

Unicyclist pair Robert O’ Brien and Charles Hardimon from Blaxland completed seven and five laps respectively.

The next Rocky Trail event will be the Real Bike Insurance MTB Cruise in Canberra in early March.

For more information go to: www.rockytrailentertainment.com.au

Sharon Payne
Bike Media

Some videos from the event.

Some videos from the event.

I quick ride with Nicole Sutton at the Del Rio Sydney 24 hour race. Nicole had not seen the track before and set the second fastest girl on the first lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIAWnOpJ5g

Newy Cogheads Team Tandem Ride at Sydney 24 Hour MTB Race. Riders Tony brown and John Domandl competed in the 2011 Rocky Trail Entertainment Sydney 24 Hour. Using the very special tandem machine built just for mountain biking, John Domandl who is visually impaired inspired people from all walks of life to get out and have a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acKeJ4vEYUg

Regards Mick B