24Hr Wrap UP

Macr

Likes Dirt
Loved the Red descent the one time I did it in the middle of the night - but that G-out runout is simply sensational fun! I did give myself a wee fright getting off the cleared line towards the bottom at 2am.
Oh the joys of the Bullit. I wound out the forks to 130mm travel, lowered the saddle, but didn't have the tools to change the head angle :(. The red descent was a blast, wish I got to do more than 1 lap.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
We had a great time. team of 4 men making a reasonably decent effort of it (we always had someone on the track).

I jagged the dawn lap - left tranny at 4:30 and got the sunrise on the way over the top.

"kept the roadies honest" is probably the best way to describe the track. I really enjoyed it and i was beating our team's resident roadie around the blue lap - he had a few too many lungs for me to give me a chance on the red. Great to have a track where you need to be able to handle a bike a little to get decent times. The first 3km of the blue lap lacked flow - the tech-ups and some really tight sections would've been nice had they still been challenging but a bit easier to ride smoothly. It would've made the course a little more fun i think. otherwise i really loved the course. Opening up through the berms on the red and the drop in to the fire road near the bottom were great fun and the run in on blue was tops.

As for the atmosphere, last year we were so far out of tranny that we never bothered to go in (except for water - we did our trannies on the fireroad 500m out from the proper tranny) so the "lack" of atmosphere was no issue to us. We were camped just near the dunnies towards the end of the blue lap (which despite the wind, was an ace place to be) so we had riders coming by all the time and plenty of action.

RE: Prizemoney, we were tempted to change our entry to elite male in the hope that there were so few entries we might sneak into a place but never bothered. the idea of "elite" and "sport" classes seems pretty redundant in an event like the 24hr. Offering such large sums of money to such small catagories is kinda weak too. I'm not about to say that the girls aren't worth the money, or that you shouldn't offer the money to try and entice the entries, but i mean we had 4 girls camping with us and we could've covered our entry costs if we'd sent them out to do 2 laps. that's pretty lame imho. EDIT: I also just noticed that the 5 teams that finished in the 4 females catagory out performed the "elites"....

Macr: I reckoned that i hit 63km/h in the triple down on the blue lap and my team mates called shenanigans. good to be villified. If you were the only bloke in silver sequins, thanks for letting me borrow your phone in the tranny at 6:30am

lavalife junkie: either you or your teammate had a chat with me near the top of the red lap as you cruised past me. congrats on holding onto second, shame about the prizes.

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Loved the Red descent the one time I did it in the middle of the night - but that G-out runout is simply sensational fun! I did give myself a wee fright getting off the cleared line towards the bottom at 2am.
I crapped myself a couple of times on red lap side of the 4 cross mound. Once getting air off one of the kinks and another getting out of shape and half way up the embankment.

The dip and step down jump thingy at the end of the blue lap got me, I didn't know how to ride it, 'cause you can't really pre jump it, I didn't want to launch off it so ended up slowing down enough each time to 'soak it up'.

I'm so glad I finished my laps on the Red lap though despite the BFO climb to get there. I think the course was getting better to ride as the race went too, that sketchy marble on hardpack seemed to vanish some what.

Cheers
Gonz

morto1980

Likes Dirt
Warning: Long Post Ahead.

Disclaimer: If you're involved with organising the event in any way, please don't feel that I'm bagging the event as a whole - it's meant as constructive criticism. I've tried to stick to things that event organisers can change - not things that were due to dickhead "race leaders" or "faster riders coming through MOVE MOVE MOVE!" or the wind in the campsite (which was my biggest dislike).

------------------------
EDIT: I've further refined the improvements to things that CORC can influence - removed things that relate to the actions of entrants or mother nature.

Could be better:
I really enjoyed the event, but here are things that need to improve:
1) The booklet mentions "The Carb Kitchen, Ready Steady Feed, The Bakery, The Soupery & The Carvery" but it seemed there was 1 food vendor and 1 coffee vendor? Service times weren't that bad the few times I went (although the coffee line was getting a bit out of hand) but the variety of several vendors and the price competition would help.

Why not open the catering up to a bit of competition? EDIT: It seems that the mix of vendors is influenced by TVE (a part of TaMS - Territory and Municipal Services in the ACT) and there is little room to move from CORCs end. In addition, I've been informed there were 3 food vendors - the food + coffee near the big screen, a fruit vendor and the dutch pancakes near the pavillion. I remember seeing the pancakes now and regret not grabbing some. :eek:

2) The event guide came in pretty close to the event (or after it as some have said) - people who haven't done a 24hr before and want to get organised with the tips given in the guide would benefit from getting it earlier.

3) Guys toilets (both pavillion and trucks) seemed to have a big queue at certain peak times. The queue for the trough was short, so perhaps lots of riders had issues with stomach upsets? (I know a guy in my team went a bit hard on the Gatorade and regretted it) :)

4) The venue did seem to have less atmosphere than last year. I'm not sure why. Perhaps having transition away from the event hub and camping wasn't the best? Not as big a problem as the rest but something that would help the popularity of the event. Couldn't really hear the commentary at the campsite - not sure if that was by design or because of the wind. Probably good if you were trying to sleep during commentary times but otherwise made the campsite feel detached from the event. I did like the transition on the crit track so it was probably just a minor re-shuffle (some sort of fine tuning). I have a suspicion the wind may have kept people from hanging around the event areas too (obviously not something CORC can change).

Good Stuff:
1) Hot showers were very good. I felt sooo much better after having a hot shower following my solo graveyard shift. It was easy to get in for one too.

2) The new Red/Blue lap setup was confusing for about 20 seconds and then it rocked! Very nice to get some variety with 2 distinct laps and be able to easily ride on for a double. The whole transition setup was nice - it had the potential to be a sh*tfight but it was smooth as.

3) Riding through transition (no dismount needed) was good. Must have been nice for solo dudes / dudettes.

4) Commentary and spot prize giveaways were (as usual) excellent. I loved the story about the dude swallowing the bite valve on his hydration pack!

5) The shirts this year look really cool! They have gone with casual shirt fabric this year which makes it less suited to riding but better for bumming around in.

6) The bottles this year seemed better quality than last year too - better than the screw top ones...

7) The bike wash kicked ass! Living in an apartment makes washing bikes a pain so it was nice to be able to give them a good hose down before heading home.

8) The event photographer was unbelievable! Such professionalism, enthusiasm and above all brilliant photos. Bring these guys back next year - they really know their stuff.

9) The new setup was great for spectators + families (jumping castle!) who turned up for a sticky-beak.

So in short, the improvements over last year definitely outweigh the bitches. I guess just fixing up the catering would be the biggest thing (but having to deal with govt. bureaucracy is never fun).

Last edited:

Trance_Kidd

Likes Dirt
Yeah it was a great weekend, except for afew things. One, i was on the podium in one of the harder categories, and only got a reflector, a flashing red light and a pair of shorts as 2nd place... The friekin schools teams got better stuff, as did the people in the crowd.

I'm not being greedy, but surely working your arse off in 2man marathon, and riding nearly 190km each deserves something better than that!

ALSO... solo riders and their army of crew were allowed into the camping area with their cars before 4pm. Other people were not. So there were hundreds of tired riders dragging their shit halfway up a hill to their cars.. Again and again and again... and again. WTF??
This, and the volunteers attitude toward many people kind of dampened the weekend for me. Nothing bad happened to me personally, but seeing volunteers getting shitty with an old guy kind of pissed me off. Nice work guys.

Otherwise, the track was good and everything else was sweet!
I was in the schools team we came 3rd and got a $80 ground effects voucher, i was very happy with that. bit unfair with you though riding. Also the volunteers seemed very crumpy and when we told the guy about my team mates hard luck story when he crashed on friday morning tearing his knee open so you could see his knee and need 5 stiches then rode in the race the next day only to tear his stiches open and have a blood soaked bandage after his lap. when we told him his relpy was '' Yeah great mate'' and then just walked off.... other than that the event was great and was my first 24hr.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
Fun, wasn't it? :) One of our defence guys followed close on the tail of another rider, his lights were fading and he went off into a concrete culvert and our defence guy ran into a star picket :( :eek:. Not sure how the guy at the front ended up, but our guy got a gouge into his bars and chest.
Yeah, that g-out was tops, reminded me of the old Nundle or Megalong DH tracks (god I sound like an old fart- I'm not, honest!). that crash your mate had sounds really horrific, hope they can laugh about it now.

The first creek crossing on the red lap was fun, tried a different line on my second lap through, ended up in the creek:eek:. Next time around I was telling a mate what I did and the guy following went in!

And whoever left the massive rut into the rock halfway down the red track descent, I hope your alright, that would have been a MASSIVE crash.:eek:

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
My Scott

I've read the comments with interest. On the whole, the positives outweigh the negatives, so we should be seeing an even bigger and better event next year (if the feedback isn't ignored).

For myself, I had a great race. I loved the switchback climb on the red lap - minor effort, massive ascent. It turned out easier that I thought to pass (or be passed).

I loved the descent too - that Skyline Dive was super. Even passing wasn't too much of a hassle (please remind the newer riders to hold the inside line; if you're as good as you think you are, you should be able to pass on the outside).

The post-bridge descent to the fire trail was scary fast fun. I wasn't once inclined to find an alternate line - I just stuck with what I knew worked.

The final run to the 4x was brake-free blind faith - I love my Fox forx - and the skip over the mound was like a roller coaster (without the vomit).

The blue lap? The first climb sucked.

Well, at least it was rewarding for its technical challenges. The old nationals track maybe a bit too much so.

There were a few sketchy, loose, downhill switchbacks just before the checkpoint that didn't hold up well. They were a bit annoying, but hey, it's been a bit dry lately. Hmm?

The G thing? I think I burped a bit of air there on my first lap (hardly surprising, and I'm not ashamed to say I braked on each lap subsequently).

To compensate, the final two descents on the blue lap were outstanding good flowy stuff. I loved the mini mound after the pallet before the car park fenceline (not a good place to find air) before the hard right and over the scaffold bridge. Top stuff.

Oh, and the crit track transition? Brilliant. I'm an hourglass fan.

I ate well, drank plenty, didn't cramp. Can't ask for more than that. And the new Scott jersey looks great too.

morto1980

Likes Dirt
... my team mates hard luck story when he crashed on friday morning tearing his knee open so you could see his knee and need 5 stiches then rode in the race the next day only to tear his stiches open and have a blood soaked bandage after his lap. when we told him his relpy was '' Yeah great mate'' and then just walked off.... other than that the event was great and was my first 24hr.
Why did he ride the next day with stitches? That must have killed!

Last edited:

Macr

Likes Dirt
I crapped myself a couple of times on red lap side of the 4 cross mound. Once getting air off one of the kinks and another getting out of shape and half way up the embankment.
Is that where the photographer was set up? If so I tried jumping the corner. I will be interesting to see that photo as I felt (But probably didn't) I got good height and cleared the corner.

The dip and step down jump thingy at the end of the blue lap got me, I didn't know how to ride it, 'cause you can't really pre jump it, I didn't want to launch off it so ended up slowing down enough each time to 'soak it up'.
Was that just before the makeshift over pass? If so, I just let it rip and launched to flat :D :p

I'm so glad I finished my laps on the Red lap though despite the BFO climb to get there. I think the course was getting better to ride as the race went too, that sketchy marble on hardpack seemed to vanish some what.

Cheers
Gonz
Except the the blue loop was becoming chossy on parts. Lots of braking ruts. Now if mother nature had been nice and rained more allowing it to be packed down like sparrows, then the blue loop would of been awesome

Beej1

The first aid text being open on Friday was a good thing. I (unfortunately) became their first customer after doing a reccy lap - that DH section of the red lap is awesome, but I pushed it a bit far and tore a s**tload of skin off my leg. Made the 24hrs of riding quite interesting from a pain point of view. But big thanks to the 12yr old kid from St Johns who cleaned out my wound (and sorry if you're older than that - we just decided that's how old you looked from that point on).

It was a great event overall, a real challenge. I didn't think I'd make it given my left knee and shin were in so much pain. But I was glad I kept going.

One of my teammates got passed by the "Race Leader". I couldn't believe they call that out. Like it makes a frickin difference to the rules of letting them past. I was really hoping he'd try to pass me after hearing about that - I was practicing aiming a kick at the derailleur. But I think I would've just stuck to a witty retort.

Anyway, I'm off to read my race booklet/program that arrived after I left for Canberra.

Macr

Likes Dirt
3) Guys toilets seemed to have a big queue - I guess the number of toilets was wrong. The queue for the trough was short, so perhaps lots of riders had issues with stomach upsets? :)
That is called mother nature, my friend. It called me about 0430 and no one was there, but by 6 when I came back from my lap, it was a whole different story. Even though, those event toilets should of been at least 10 of each. 3 toilets and 3 showers is down right stupid.
Good Stuff:
2) The new Red/Blue lap setup was confusing for about 20 seconds and then it rocked! Very nice to get some variety with 2 distinct laps and be able to easily ride on for a double. The whole transition setup was nice - it had the potential to be a sh*tfight but it was smooth as.
3) Riding through transition (no dismount needed) was good. Must have been nice for solo dudes / dudettes.
I agree whole heartedly on these two points. I didn't think the transition would work, but it did.
5) The shirts this year look really cool! They have gone with casual shirt fabric this year which makes it less suited to riding but better for bumming around in.
So in short, the improvements over last year outweigh the bitches. I guess just fixing up the catering would be the biggest thing.
The shirts are awesome, especially seeing as I was after a new red shirt :). All in all, I think the race will get better if they listen and act on feedback. If they come up with excuses, then next year, will be the same.
I can't wait until there are some trees! Funnily enough I can't remember anyone mentioning them on this thread.

murrum

Banned
Posted similar on another thread, but what the heck. Loved it this year (only the second time). The tracks were great, I reckon that little sprinkle of rain on friday and bit of dew overnight helped keep things that little bit firmer (esp when compared with 06). As others mentioned, it really rewarded skill and fitness, not just fitness, and thats what made it for me, just great tracks. Loved the flow on most of the blue - esp the last half, really rewarded conservation of momentum, if you could lay off the brakes could make up some good time.

And the red was gold, what a hoot, got well and truly taken by one of the defence guys on our teams last lap, about 2/3 of the way up the uphill on the red. I then passed a solo legend whos comment was "your gonna have fun on the way down", dont I know it...passed the defence guy at the bridge on the way down the DH course - and put enough on him to make it home!! 5.5in of morewood v giant hardtail once the track was 24hrs old, no chance :p:p .

Oh - and to the guy on the BMC who passed me early on the blue lap, one hand on the bars, the other barking instructions on a mobile phone about how to fix his main bike - well impressed...

For a team that trained last year and got 8th, then this year with a few babies around (less training) got 6th - shows the how much difference a real mtb oriented track makes (or maybe it was the competition :) ) .

Thanks to all involved.:):)

Last edited:

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
One of my teammates got passed by the "Race Leader". I couldn't believe they call that out. Like it makes a frickin difference to the rules of letting them past. I was really hoping he'd try to pass me after hearing about that - I was practicing aiming a kick at the derailleur. But I think I would've just stuck to a witty retort.
Me too - although my team mate couldn't understand how he could be race leader before he'd even finished his first lap:)

That said everyone I encounted made a huge effort to pass safely/cooperatively.

And to every body who said "keep going" while I struggled up the red climb, really just wanting to hurl, I listened.

thanx for the encouragement.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was in the schools team we came 3rd and got a $80 ground effects voucher, i was very happy with that... my team mates hard luck story when he crashed on friday morning tearing his knee open so you could see his knee and need 5 stiches then rode in the race the next day only to tear his stiches open and have a blood soaked bandage after his lap. when we told him his relpy was '' Yeah great mate'' and then just walked off.... other than that the event was great and was my first 24hr.
I was in the school's team that came 1st, I hope your team mate heals back to best asap.

Yeah it was a great weekend, except for afew things. One, i was on the podium in one of the harder categories, and only got a reflector, a flashing red light and a pair of shorts as 2nd place... The friekin schools teams got better stuff, as did the people in the crowd.
Yeah.... Although winning Ti Rotor bolts for rotor's that have been pop riveted on is just about as good ;) Although we did get Scott 24 hr jerseys..

Was it just the winning teams that received key rings, or did every finishing team receive a key ring??

And speaking of prizes in the crowd, I had an XTR cassette until a 100kg guy jumped on top of me on the ground and ripped it from my hands. :mad:

Since we couldn't say it on podium, there are a number of people that do needed to be thanked for the whole event, regardless of how many times it's been said.

Firstly to CORC and Scott for running and organising the event.
Thanks to Kyneton Secondary College for supplying all the equipment our team used.
Thanks to Bright Orange Events and N-ZO Dirtwear for sponsoring and creating the team.
Thanks to Trent from NiteRider for supplying us with some totally awesome lights. They literally saved our team.
Also to Treadly Shed for keeping the bikes running smooth.
And also to the volunteers. I know from experience how hard it is to volunteer for such a large event and we do appreciate it.

Without trying to sound like i'm giving everyone too much of a plug, it is the sponsors that really try to put back into the sport, and for sponsors to help out a bunch of 15 y.o's, I think it's worth giving them a bit of credit for it.

*End Ramble*

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
There were lots and lots of stuff being given away in transition. The commentary team was a bit hot and cold....

I'm obviously in someones bad books because when they asked for a small female rider in transition, my daughter (racing) rocked up and they said "oh you" with rolled eyes?????:confused: Anyway, she got a lovely pair of Netti nix... probably due to the fact that the other female rider in transition at the time that responded was about a size 18, not 8.

One of the boys on our team must have given someone a good sob story because he walked away with a very nice Jersey and Nix.

I thought the giveaways were very generous and nice to see stuff going to mr Average and not just the winners.

Anyway, on this topic.... Rider #2029, where are you????

My son went up to the commentary team after his last lap as they were calling for people to come up and give them reasons to give people things... We have a box of Gu energy drink sachets and some weldtite grease for him, but they wouldn't call him over the PA and just gave us the stuff to find him and give him. We did get his name from the results list.

Rider #2029 gave my son a Gu going up the hill on the Blue Lap when he was just about to hit the wall. I dragged him out of bed to race when the appointed rider was unable to go out, my son hadn't had anything to eat since his night laps and forgot to have a Gu before he went, we realised just as our rider came storming into transition and they were on a mission so he just took off. My son asked a few riders if they had any spare Gu and rider #2029 was kind enough to give him some, so big thanks from myself and my son's team.

If you read this and contact me, we can get your gift to you.

Oh, and on the list of people to thank, I'm not really sure who it was... so don't want to name the wrong team, (one of the other school teams) but a BIG thanks to the crew that gave the Raw NRG Junior's a jerry can of fuel for our generator when we ran out of fuel in the middle of the night while trying to charge batteries and keep our site lights running. We've since realised there is something VERY wrong with the generator and it is using way more fuel than it should (we had double what it should have used and we still ran out at brekkie time with the extra fuel). We will definitely return the favour one day, somehow.

Last edited:

Macr

Likes Dirt
I was in the school's team that came 1st, I hope your team mate heals back to best asap.
You should of told me before hand. We could of caught up and had a chat.
Was it just the winning teams that received key rings, or did every finishing team receive a key ring??
Everyone did. Great prize, me thinks. That is of course if you are over 18, hey Matty ;)!
And speaking of prizes in the crowd, I had an XTR cassette until a 100kg guy jumped on top of me on the ground and ripped it from my hands. :mad:
Now that is just lame. There is always that 1%, that ruins it for others. I chatted with everyone that I passed or passed me. There was only one rude bastard out of the lot. I give kudos to the rest, for their great attitude and politeness.

jbrandy

Likes Bikes
I was there watching all saturday night from bout 7 till 12. the atmospher felt really good, the horns and screaming of the crowd, down near were the DH road gap was, i thought that was really cool, excpet one of the guys i was with chucked an empty beer can at a rider and the rider got of his bike and punched the guy and called him all sorts of thngs, it was all finished off by the rider throwing a rock at the guys head!!

sure the rider would be angry and tell him off but the way this guy acted was shocking.

PS: The can didnt go anywere near the rider!!

other then that real good fun!!!

good work corc, hopefully the mont24hr is just a good :D

And at the bottom of the red lap, all the fast descents and technical bits, I found a guy
who had basically crashed at 100km an hour, shattered his helmet, snapped his sunglasses
and was a little delerious, i stopped and chatted with him until he was able enough to pedal back to the transition area where i told him to send out his teammate and go straight to first aid. Hope your alright buddy.

Hi assuming that was at about 10:30pm that was my team mate. We were in a team of 3 so after that we were a team of 2. His leg is the worst but I expect he will get better soon. I think he hit that big rock before the second banked curve at about 40 to 50kph.

What I found weird is they had really friendly people with huge trailers to take your stuff down there but nothing to help you back. We managed to leave our car near the gate where they were stopping people because of the accident but that was only after the little Hitler had phoned the first aid tent with his race number and name to confirm his accident was real and not just tomato sauce all over his face and leg. At least I only had to carry the gear half way on my own.

I found it much harder than I expected. I had been told before being talked into entering that there were two laps, one easy and one hard and if I wanted I could just do the easy one. I was also told that it is more of an endurance race than a technical skils race and they never make the tracks dangerous for 24 hour races so I would be fine being reasonably fit. The website also said one loop was designed to be easy for beginners with no experience on dirt. I expected the red course with the Switchbacks as the hard one and expected the blue to be easier with lots of firetrails and the simpler parts of the single track. Well I still am not sure which one the organiser thought was easy enough for a beginner with no dirt experience to ride. The blue one seemed more difficult to me with rougher sections of track and harder to get the corners to flow but the switchbacks on the red track are tricky for people who normally ride on road and that last decent is certainly something more than I expect someone with no dirt experience to handle.

I also had a "Race Leader" overtake me on the red rollercoaster ride down the mountain before the bridge. It was 1:00am and I nearly fell off the cliff with surprise.

Not sure if I will do it again. I had a ball and think I have no problems fitness wise to go ok in a team of 3. I will have to do more dirt riding to see if after a 24hour intense lesson my bike skills have improved. However I will take a spade and toilet roll. I missed a transition by 20minutes giving me a really bad lap time due to being stuck in the toilet queue for 40 minutes.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
one of the guys i was with chucked an empty beer can at a rider and the rider got of his bike and punched the guy and called him all sorts of thngs, it was all finished off by the rider throwing a rock at the guys head!!

sure the rider would be angry and tell him off but the way this guy acted was shocking.
Your mate is a dickhead... I'm sure being hit in the head by a can while riding would feel about the same as being hit in the head by a rock while standing still.

I think your "mate" got off pretty lightly.... fucking tosser!!!!!!!!! If his shocking behaviour hadn't pissed off the rider in the first place, you wouldn't be having this whinge.

If I saw someone do that I'd have had a go at them and I'm really surprised nobody else did either if there were others around. Your mate has a similar mentality to the morons that throw rocks off bridges :rolleyes::mad: