24inch wheel 14mm through axle

xxsethsxx

Likes Bikes
I need a 24 inch DH style wheel that I can put in the back of my Super 8, Im sick of hearing people say I should already have one back there. It needs to be 14mm thru axle style to fit, and just a rim that can take the downhill/freeride. New or used, dont care, just good condition and send me pictures. Also just send me a price your looking for. All offers considered! Thanks (email - SWStern@optonline.net)

lindsay

Likes Dirt
Why do you need a 24 inch wheel. They're crap. Fall into holes easier, go through tires heaps quicker (ask people who've used them), not a large range of tires, screws up setup of bike. They are bad, why do you think sponsored riders (dh and freeride) run 26.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
damn straght about them falling in holes. did anyone see what i was racing at fellcreg. well if you didn't look in the pics at the mosh bike.
it was like there was a big friggin 24" wheel magnet in the bottem of every rut and hole.
never again.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
it shouldn't screw up the geometry of the bike if:
a) the bike is designed for a 24" rear, or
b) you run 24" on both ends, in which case you just lower you bb by 1" (give or take)

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
what sort of rear wheel did the bike origanaly come with was it a 26 or a 24.shouldn't you just us what you have bin using be for.or just upgrade to another /better rim of the same size insted of up/down sizing.that would be simpiler then going 24 and then realize it feels like you are riding in soft sand all the time. or staying on the 26 and winning races.sorry just a thought.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats with all this "screw up the geometry" bullshit ? If he wants his bike a bit slacker then wouldn't it be improving the geometry FOR HIM ?? Geez, ever heard of personal preference guys ? Whats good for you may not be good for the next guy..........

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gutty said:
Whats with all this "screw up the geometry" bullshit ? If he wants his bike a bit slacker then wouldn't it be improving the geometry FOR HIM ?? Geez, ever heard of personal preference guys ? Whats good for you may not be good for the next guy..........
that's what i was gonna write but i was too lazy! I like 24" inches in the rear!

S.

ex offender
lindsay said:
Yeah but a 26 on front and 24 on back just makes your riding position and geometry all screwed.
Much the same as adjusting the shock shuttle on a 222. As far as geometry goes, it does exactly the same thing as putting your 222 in a slacker position (so that the rear axle is 1" higher in relation to the front triangle). As far as rim/tyre choice tho, I agree... there's a more limited selection in 24", but as for 24s falling further into ruts, I'd say that's pretty much all in your head.

fastrider_ben

Likes Dirt
it probably will muck with your geometry just go either 26 front and back or 24 front and back

leave 26 front and 24 back for hardtails

fastrider gus

super huck
shaddap ben... i love 24" wheels... i ran a 24" on the back and 26" on the front for ages and i could barely tell the difference to both 26! there are more and more tyres available now, most of them rule compared to 26" where most of the tyres you can get totally suck...
i personally cant tell the difference between the different sized wheels.. i run 24" doublewides with 3" gazzaz and they dont "fall" into any holes..

Rik

logged out
24" means you have to pedal more, especially on rough stuff, and who here wants to pedal more?

fastrider gus

super huck
depends who is riding them...
mark weightman won the euro champs on a brooklyn with 24" doublewides...
i'd say dont bag 24"ers untill you try them out seriously..

Rik

logged out
I'd say I was running 24" for a while, switched to 26", and will be riding 24" rear by monday (hopefully).
Just because worlds were won on 24", doesn't mean they don't have downfalls. That said, there's plenty of advantages when switching to them, so as long as you know what your wants/needs are, and you know what can be compromised, then 24" can be a smart choice for some.

wombat

Lives in a hole
fastrider_ben said:
it probably will muck with your geometry just go either 26 front and back or 24 front and back

leave 26 front and 24 back for hardtails
Why on earth would it be any different on a hardtail Ben?

G

lindsay said:
Yeah but a 26 on front and 24 on back just makes your riding position and geometry all screwed.
I know your pro and all, and i dont really use my 26/24 for dh but i like my 26 24 setup