25mm of steerer to play with..... stem suggestions??

GMAN12345

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,

Just setting up a new frame and I only have 25mm of steerer to play with on top of the headset. Currently I have a Raceface Diablous stem but this is coming up a touch short by about 10mm. Obviously this isnt ideal!! If anyone has any suggestions on a stem that might fit that would be awesome, otherwise I will have to look at a new set of forks I suppose.....

Cheers, Giles.

Heres some photos....

Attachments

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you have one of the lower stack stems on there already. other than talking to grip sport for a steerer extension, you might be needing to look for a new fork uppers or replacement forks

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that a 1.5" frame with a 1 1/8" fork? You should be able to pick up an internal headset which will reduce the stack by about a cm.

Failing that, funn make a low stem, but what you've got already looks pretty low.

Also try removing your dust cap off your headset? If it's a sealed bearing headset you don't need it, I once did this when I had the same problem on a bmx.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

GMAN12345

Likes Bikes
Beaten by g-fish!

Is the Headset a reducer headset 1 1/8 or do the forks have a 1.5inch steerer?

If its a reducer headset you can probably get a lower stack headset such as the:
http://tbsm.com.au/bike-parts/other/headsets-1.5/fsa-orbit-z-1.5r-headset-37

Otherwise pm me I have one laying around here.
Cheers Guys! Just had this headset put in today..... sweet! They are atpered totems so I will need an internal reducer headset?? Dont know if this is possible but will have a look around!

Chil

Likes Dirt
You can, trouble is finding a low stack top and bottom can be an issue, you'll need a 1.5 reducer 1 1/8 top (link I posted before, you'll need the top half of that headset only) and a 1.5inch low stack bottom. Cane creek site is good to look at, there may be 1.5inch low stack headsets here for sale aswell. Just remember you have a tapered steerer fork, and a 1.5inch headtube.

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-finder < this will be very helpful, if you don't get one from cane creek, at least you'll know what to get.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
at the very least you want the steerer to engage the top clamp bolt. this will ensure you have enough purchase on the steerer for a proper clamping force. as the guys above mentioned (i over looked the 'one point five') on the top bearing cup. you should be able to get an internal top headset which will lower enough to get your clamping area.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
I had this same problem ages ago. I just turned up an extension with an interference fit where it went into the steerer tube, heated up the steerer tube, just enough to expand it and dropped the insert into the steerer tube. It had about 3mm wall section and went into the steerer tube by 10mm. Seeing as there was only 15mm of extension there is on way in hell that it will fail. I also pushed the star nut into the steerer tube far enough that the insert didn't hit it and ran a longer bolt.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Otherwise it is pretty easy for an experienced Tig welder to add an offcut of steerer to your current one. Weld it on and then file it smooth. I've done it once and seen it done many times. You could get an offcut from your LBS. it doesn't have to be gripsport, he is not the only person in this country that has the ability to Tig something. Try a 4wd bullbar maker.
New fork steerer is a bit drastic...

GMAN12345

Likes Bikes
Thanks Guys,

If I could get away with another 5mm I would probably be sweet! Going to see if I can get a low stack head set of some description....