27.5+ fork compatability

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I have a Cotic Solaris, and I'm thinking about giving 27.5 + thing a try, I currently have a 29er fork, and I'm not sure if thats the correct size fork for 27.5+ tyres.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hi All,

I have a Cotic Solaris, and I'm thinking about giving 27.5 + thing a try, I currently have a 29er fork, and I'm not sure if thats the correct size fork for 27.5+ tyres.
You should get a 2.8" into a 29er fork.
Heaps of people are doing it. Mitchy had a 29er Fox non boost fork on his Kona Honzo running 2.8" 27.5+ with no issues.

Word of warning..... overall diameter of a 27.5+ tyre is very different to a 29" tyre. I know the Solaris is designed around both platforms. but look closely at the figures (especially BB height).

I ran my Honzo as a 27.5+ and it sucked balls.........

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
You should get a 2.8" into a 29er fork.
Heaps of people are doing it. Mitchy had a 29er Fox non boost fork on his Kona Honzo running 2.8" 27.5+ with no issues.

Word of warning..... overall diameter of a 27.5+ tyre is very different to a 29" tyre. I know the Solaris is designed around both platforms. but look closely at the figures (especially BB height).

I ran my Honzo as a 27.5+ and it sucked balls.........
Yeah, I'm worried that I might not like it... but I would rather give it a go with some the Solaris rather than buy a new bike and be disappointed.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm worried that I might not like it... but I would rather give it a go with some the Solaris rather than buy a new bike and be disappointed.
Its not that I disliked 27.5+, it just didnt work for me on a 29er specific frame. I mangled the pedals and cranks into anything that protruded more than 20mm above the grade level.

I built custom wheels to suit..... which was an expensive experiment. I'd suggest finding some wide and cheap 27.5 wheels and giving it a go. Or better still, use an online calculator to predict the BB height before committing. Mine was 292mm with the 2.8" 27.5+ tyre .... which even on a hardtail is about 15-20mm too low for my style of riding.

Its not that I disliked 27.5+, it just didnt work for me on a 29er specific frame. I mangled the pedals and cranks into anything that protruded more than 20mm above the grade level.

I built custom wheels to suit..... which was an expensive experiment. I'd suggest finding some wide and cheap 27.5 wheels and giving it a go. Or better still, use an online calculator to predict the BB height before committing. Mine was 292mm with the 2.8" 27.5+ tyre .... which even on a hardtail is about 15-20mm too low for my style of riding.
Mate of mine has done the same, gone 27.5+ on his Honzo.
Fully loves it. I was amazed at how low the BB is compared to my 26" BFe.
Works for him and our trails.
He is running a 29r Fox fork and he built the wheels with Spank rims.
Thinking of doing same for my Enduro but with a view to having a HT 29r that I can swap wheels between the two.