27.5 or 29 Carbon Hardtal

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys

I'm in the throws of trying to pick out my next hardtail which will be majority used for racing and commuting.

I'm a stocky build and only 167cm tall but have owned 29ers in the past (Niner EMD & Scott Scale Carbon) and found whilst the front end feels a bit high 29ers have been alright to ride.

After test riding an XTC 29 and 27.5 in the car park I felt like the 27.5 was better but I'm concerned that in the real world the 27.5 wheel be as fast as the 29er and cost me a bit of race pace, however maybe it will pick up time on the twisty or downhill sections.

XTC 27.5 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.27.5.2/14913/66494/ or http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.27.5.4/14913/66495/#specifications

XTC 29 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.composite.29er.1/14916/66498/ + say $400 for stans crest wheelset

Not considering the advanced 29 because $4.3 is well above budget. If I bought the 29 I'd just buy a set of stans crest immediately to bring the weight down and have a proper tubeless setup so it takes the wheels out of the equation and price factor.

I race at Stromlo, Kowen & Sparrow. I have a dual suspension so this bike will be like I said riding to work (Gungahlin to Kingston) with a stop off by Bruce Ridge or Stromlo on the way home and racing the occasional 3hr, crit or pumping 24 hour race laps.

Any opinions will be valued.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if this will be useful or not, but anyway. When I carpark rode the xtc 29er it felt like a chopper bike up front compared to my trek. I haven't bothered to compare the two geometry wise. Maybe riding another brand will make the choice clearer either way.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
sounds like the decision has been made :p
Even made my Santa Cruz Blur feel lose and vague in comparison. It doesn't roll like a 29er but being a fellow with short legs 29ers never felt that great to me too long in the wheel base and a front end that's just to tall.

Spec is great on the XTC, all XT and XTR rear mech so it looks the goods.

You could be right decision made.

jbg

Likes Dirt
I would choose a 27.5 over a 29er any day but the build kit on the 29er is so much better than the similarly priced 27.5
In the end it's a personal choice and what feels best should be your purchase.
I used to ride a 29er around stromlo and it was only a couple of uphill corners that I struggled with pretty sweet on everything else

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I would choose a 27.5 over a 29er any day but the build kit on the 29er is so much better than the similarly priced 27.5
In the end it's a personal choice and what feels best should be your purchase.
I used to ride a 29er around stromlo and it was only a couple of uphill corners that I struggled with pretty sweet on everything else
I'm looking at the XTC 2 27.5 for a similar price so the spec is actually better on the 27.5 then the 29er. I enjoyed my old Niner around Stromlo as well. I did the 2012 Scott 24 on it and it was pretty good for that course but I've never felt comfortable hitting jumps on it.

Wish I could just afford both.

If I'm thinking with my head 29er, I'm sure it would be faster in the long run but my heart says 27.5 because it's more playful and still fast. It rocked Bruce Ridge last night.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like the decision has been made.. but the 27.5 Giants are some of the best bikes I've seen and had the pleasure of riding.

The orange/blue XTC is a stunner in person! And ridiculous spec for the money.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Does anybody know what the Giant Advance 27.5.2 in medium weigh?

I've heard this bike looks great but the pics never seem to do it justice