[27.5 UPDATE] Prototype Enduro EN01

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
oops posted before i saw yours, If you need some more clearance why not use a bmx bb as your pivot instead of an english shell. The idler on a trail bike is going to have to be much more durable than your down hill bike, so don't go all weight weenie there. A good example which i have found to be very durable is the terracycle power idlers for recumbents, unfortunately are expansive but very reliable and also are rebuild able.

troyo

Squid
oops posted before i saw yours, If you need some more clearance why not use a bmx bb as your pivot instead of an english shell. The idler on a trail bike is going to have to be much more durable than your down hill bike, so don't go all weight weenie there. A good example which i have found to be very durable is the terracycle power idlers for recumbents, unfortunately are expansive but very reliable and also are rebuild able.
Because main idea behind using BB cups is that they are easy to replace and You can buy them everywhere. If You are on a trip 1000km away from home and Your bearings will fail You can alwas replace them in the nearest bike shop. Can't say the same about bmx bb :)

Idler won't be a problem, as I was using the same material for my custom idler in a Corsair frame and it hold up for 3 seasons without any problems at all.

Dansmith

Likes Bikes
Just read through the thread on your downhill bike and you sir have some serious fabrication skills! Can't wait to see how you go with this bike. I will definitely be staying tuned for updates.

hoppy2

Likes Bikes
Have you calculated the leverage ratio curve? It looks to me like it could be too high in the first part of the travel (the shock attachment is path is very vertical).

troyo

Squid
Just read through the thread on your downhill bike and you sir have some serious fabrication skills! Can't wait to see how you go with this bike. I will definitely be staying tuned for updates.
Thanks!

Have you calculated the leverage ratio curve? It looks to me like it could be too high in the first part of the travel (the shock attachment is path is very vertical).
Yes, I have and no it won't. It is progressive up to the SAG point to overcome airshock seal drag and negative/positive air chamber pressure difference, then it flattens out a little bit to give nice midstroke support and goes linear toward the end for nice bottomless feel. It is designed for HV air can shocks.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
I dunno about where you live but mid bmx bearings are about as common as it gets, just trying to help it is what i used to get some extra clearance. I think you miss understood about what i said about the idler, when you start having to pedal up hill the idler works a lot harder and you want it to stay as smooth as and not to be losing any watts. I found the cog idlers better in this regard, but hey only giving my opinion based on my experience :noidea:

troyo

Squid
I dunno about where you live but mid bmx bearings are about as common as it gets, just trying to help it is what i used to get some extra clearance. I think you miss understood about what i said about the idler, when you start having to pedal up hill the idler works a lot harder and you want it to stay as smooth as and not to be losing any watts. I found the cog idlers better in this regard, but hey only giving my opinion based on my experience :noidea:

In Europe they are not so common, at least at small bike shops, small towns with bikeparks and so on. Maybe BMX racing is more popular in AU? Here not so much. Clearance is not so big a deal, because I can always place a shock toward the non drive side. Problem is with tire clearance sideways and crankarm/cs interference, but simple bending will work like charm.

Those idlers are nice, but from my experience cog idlers are quite noisy and require different materials and sooooooo much more machining, to gain what 1-2% top? It is 150mm bike, even with so much anti squat it won't pedal like a roadbike so it is kinda pointless (in my opinion ofc). In my opinion idler diameter is far more important then if it is a cog shaped idler or a "regular" one.

Another thing is, that those idlers You were talking about are simply too big for me and 9t cog would be just terrible.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Another thing is, that those idlers You were talking about are simply too big for me and 9t cog would be just terrible.
Smaller the idler, the quicker the wear. You'll be pedaling this bike a lot more than the DH one. Probably see ten times the wear or more.