29+ 1 x SET Up / Tire Clearance - advice please

schwing

Likes Dirt
I am building a Surly Krampus and setting it up 1x9 with a raceface narrow wide 30T
With the 30t in the position of the middle chain ring I get tire rub when on the largest cog( granny cog)
Moving the 30t chain ring big ring position ( they are reversible btw) the chainline is shit on the granny ring down to 2nd ring - usable but sounds U-G-L-Y

With a hollow tech ext BB - I am considering 3 spacers on the drive side which should give me 6mm or so. Is this a dangerous ie, going to stuff the BB etc?

Otherwise Im on the hunt for a square taper bottom bracket or OD crankset

thanks

mitchy_

Llama calmer
what is the current spacer arrangement? 2 DS, 1 NDS?

the fact that the 30t has built in spacers probably doesn't help your cause.. swapping from middle to big ring position is a larger change in chainline than normal.

3 spacers on one side wont hurt, your crank will just be off centred... make sure the crank arm doens't hit the seat stay. (alternatively move one spacer from the drive to NDS, and put the ring in the big ring position)

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The standard Krampus comes in a 1x10 so there should be a solution. Can you run a Narrow Wide 30t ring up front in the middle ring position?
I have my Surly pug set up this way with a 32 ring in a 1x9 set up.

I have a 30t wolftooth NW on my krampus, with shimano zee crank and 1 driveside spacer...I have about 5-6mm clearance between chain and tyre in granny gear.
It's 1x10...not that it should make a difference.

schwing

Likes Dirt
Would a skinnier rear tyre help :behindsofa:
Lol genius!
hadnt thought about removing all drive side spacers and using big ring. Doh! Its a raceface xc triple crankset to the offset may be against me. Id like to keep it in the middle position if possible though. Pics will follow one day.
It was set up middle with 1 drive side spacer.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure how much impact it would have from a physiology point of view, but moving the bottom bracket left or right will mean your pedals are not the same distance from the frame. I'd be emailing surly with your problem. They were very prompt to help me once.