29er frame size compared to 26er frame sizes

matt36415

Likes Dirt
I am thinking of moving to a 29er - someone told me that people ride smaller frames on 29ers than 26 - that a 29er has a longer top tube than a same sized 26inch.

Is this correct? (I ask because I am 6'6 and have a 22inch HT with 26 inch wheels and the XTC and anthem which seem to be great for the money don't come that big)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, it is BS.
ETT on a 26er should be the same as on a 29er.
And yes I agree that you will not fit on an XTC29 or Anthem IMO.

jarv

Likes Bikes
nt

Yes Matt it is bullshit.You might have to look at Gary Fishers(Trek) or Specialized for a man of your size.Mind you Troy Glennan rides an anthem and hes about 196cm.I know hes sponsered by Giant but it didnt stop him getting 3rd fastest lap at the Mont.Good luck

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride A large {20} trance and just put a deposit on a large Anthem 29er {19}.The top tube on the anthem is 5 mm longer but other than that the dimensions are similar. In both cases a medium was recommended to me going by Giant's sizing chart but I prefer the large size. Anthem does come in an xl but it its only a 20.5 but going by the sizing chart you could in theory sneak onto one of them.

molzy13

Likes Dirt
With specialized 29ers their BB heights are the same as on a 26in and headtube height is very simmilar to what it would be on a 26inch. Top tubes lengths and seat tubes heights are more of less the same also. If you were to ride a 17.5 in specialized 26inch you would ride a 17.5 inch 29er. If you were to ride a 21inch specialized 26inch you would ride a 21 inch 29er

Yorto

Likes Dirt
I am thinking of moving to a 29er - someone told me that people ride smaller frames on 29ers than 26 - that a 29er has a longer top tube than a same sized 26inch.

Is this correct? (I ask because I am 6'6 and have a 22inch HT with 26 inch wheels and the XTC and anthem which seem to be great for the money don't come that big)
Matt have you had any luck looking around ?
I am in the same boat as you at 198cm and finding it hard to find a decent pre built 29er dually. I am currently waiting on the 2012 range to be released and will be taking things from there. The Specialized Stumpy FSR is what I have in mind.

molzy13

Likes Dirt
Matt have you had any luck looking around ?
I am in the same boat as you at 198cm and finding it hard to find a decent pre built 29er dually. I am currently waiting on the 2012 range to be released and will be taking things from there. The Specialized Stumpy FSR is what I have in mind.
If you can hold off to the 2012 season wispers are specialized MTB range will be full of 29ers. Alot more than this year with an even better range

Last edited:

ray

Likes Bikes
I'm 6'4 on an XL Anthem 29er, fits me perfect and makes it feel a big bike, i reckon at 6'6 you should at least try getting on one.

Ray

Zabba

Cannon Fodder
I'm 6'4 on an XL Anthem 29er, fits me perfect and makes it feel a big bike, i reckon at 6'6 you should at least try getting on one.

Ray
It all depends on whether you have long legs or long torso. I am 6'4 also, but have short legs and long torso and the Anthem was too short in the top tube for me.

matt36415

Likes Dirt
I am replacing a HT so I am organising a test ride on a giant xtc - I think a test ride is the only way to be sure.