29er trail rigs with a dash of enduro

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Hi folks.

Am looking at a new rig around September and it will most likely be a 29er. So am after some opinions/long term ride reports on the Yeti SB5.5, the SC Hightower if possible?

Also waiting to see what Rocky Mountain does with the next-gen Instinct (loved the old model - rode it in BC a few times). Also might as well throw in any long-term reports on the SB4.5 i guess as well.

My riding is primarily Sydney Northern Beaches but also Tathra (it's near my hometown) and Camberra and mostly trail but with all the caveats that apply to riding on the Beaches, i.e. a mix of trail/enduro style trails. Migth even get a trip to Derby in this year...

Skill-wise I am intermediate; fitness is poor (coming back from yet another long-term injury)

Anyway, throw any/all opinions my way and thanks in advance!

JW

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Have been on an Intense Primer since August last year and love it. Started out with a 150mm fork on it and have since gone full monster truck with a 57mm stroke shock to give 140 rear travel and 160 up front. Heaps of fun, a weapon in the air, climbs well and just playful.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Have been on an Intense Primer since August last year and love it. Started out with a 150mm fork on it and have since gone full monster truck with a 57mm stroke shock to give 140 rear travel and 160 up front. Heaps of fun, a weapon in the air, climbs well and just playful.
Another Primer rider here with a big thumbs up, although I've set mine up more trail than monster truck (140mm fork/ 130mm rear). Really is a one arrow in the quiver trail bike, you'd have to be smashing some serious jumps and drop offs to get beyond its capabilities.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kona are due to revamp their Process lineup and the word is they will be coming in 29" (And Carbon)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It might be worth looking at the Canfield Riot. A mate has one and they're very capable. I believe 140mm rear too...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeti 4.5 is very capable or try an Intense 4inch . Bottom line- it sounds like you will ride trails like the rest of us with alittle chunk thrown in. You arent fit so dont get something big travel and heavy for the 2% of the time it will be used. Get a 4-5 inch duellie you can beef up or lighten as required. Something light and capable will be more pleasant for mere mortals. I ride a SC Tall Boy LT and it is more than enough for 98% of my riding and the other 2% - well Im probably too old anyway.
Look secondhand too and ensure you have a good set of wheels- makes a big difference.

Beej1

I like the look of the Pivot Switchblade. Designed to run reverse-mullet style 150f 135r.

Having said that ... I value both my kidneys and children too much to think about new bikes these days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Another Primer rider here with a big thumbs up, although I've set mine up more trail than monster truck (140mm fork/ 130mm rear). Really is a one arrow in the quiver trail bike, you'd have to be smashing some serious jumps and drop offs to get beyond its capabilities.
Thanks Ranger - def. going to check these bikes out.

JW

Z

Zaf

I've honestly got nothing but great things to say about the current Specialized Stumpjumper FSR models. It's the bike to beat in my mind at the moment, it can be built light and have a playful demeanour, but it can be burled out and be an absolute Gnarpoon.

Wait, there is one bad thing about it. It has a BB30 bottom bracket, but this is fixed by throwing $100 at it with a Praxis kit. But there are even decent aftermarket shock options in the proprietary mounting option for the bike, and now amazingly refined workarounds that anyway.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
I've honestly got nothing but great things to say about the current Specialized Stumpjumper FSR models. It's the bike to beat in my mind at the moment, it can be built light and have a playful demeanour, but it can be burled out and be an absolute Gnarpoon.

Wait, there is one bad thing about it. It has a BB30 bottom bracket, but this is fixed by throwing $100 at it with a Praxis kit. But there are even decent aftermarket shock options in the proprietary mounting option for the bike, and now amazingly refined workarounds that anyway.
Thanks Zaf - much appreciated mate. yeah, i am a but of a threaded bb fan too but will see how it all pans out i guess...
JW

Specialized Enduro 29r is not a dash. It's heaps of bike.
Love mine but it's way more bike than I need. Super capable and rock solid though.
Not sure about your local area but it will soak up everything you've got to give it short of WC downhill probably.
Not considering a HT? Lots of capable ones about these days in both 29 and 27.5 flavours.
And they offer good value for money. Am glad I got a new one recently, rediscovering the joy of a well made HT.

aanon

Likes Dirt
I know this may not fit your criteria perfectly but have you considered shorter travel? The reason i say this is because i have been riding a Banshee Phantom for about 10 months and am blown away by how much a bike with only 105mm rear travel can do and the fun factor is next level, my 160mm plastic bike barely gets touched now. Whatever you choose bang some pics up when ya get it.

Z

Zaf

Love mine but it's way more bike than I need. Super capable and rock solid though.
Not sure about your local area but it will soak up everything you've got to give it short of WC downhill probably.
Not considering a HT? Lots of capable ones about these days in both 29 and 27.5 flavours.
And they offer good value for money. Am glad I got a new one recently, rediscovering the joy of a well made HT.
Yeah, even the Stumpy is a lot of bike.
Maybe something like a Devinci Django or Marshall, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Camber, Transition Smuggler, Pyga Stage, Norco Sight, Yeti SB4.5c, or an Evil Following. There's a ridiculous wealth of offerings in the 120-140mm 29er shred sled range. Put them on a dart board and just fling away, you're bound to hit something you'll fall in love with and ride the living shit out of with a grin on your face.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Tranny smuggler? Threaded bb, it's a transition, similiar to the scout which is awesome, aluminium which I prefer, and it's a transition.

I haven't ridden one but the construction is similiar to the scout, which is a very solid bike. Theres alot of awesome bikes in the hardcore 29 trailbike category at the moment, happy hunting dude

Z

Zaf

Tranny smuggler? Threaded bb, it's a transition, similiar to the scout which is awesome, aluminium which I prefer, and it's a transition.

I haven't ridden one but the construction is similiar to the scout, which is a very solid bike. Theres alot of awesome bikes in the hardcore 29 trailbike category at the moment, happy hunting dude
Better yet, I've got a Float X Evol for sale to fit a Tranny Smuggler, I'd bought it for the Stumpy but found out that the aircan interferes with the top tube and wont mount to the bike.
Slack trail bike with a charging attitude and a solid reservoir shock! You're on a dream bike already!

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Funnily enough my upcoming project bike is a HT but a 26 - a rare 2011 Rocky Mountain Blizzard LT (Long Travel) that can take forks from 120-150 (the stock Blizz was a Xc bike - 100/120).
The Northern Beaches are pretty rocky/ledge stuff though s it will be my second/fun rig once built and most likely get a fair few runs down at Tathra each time I head home!
But yeah, i agree you can def. get some sweet HT 29ers these days with super spec too.
JW

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Ha! You're right Zaf there are plenty of good ones around so will keep checking these out.
Cheers,
JW
Yeah, even the Stumpy is a lot of bike.
Maybe something like a Devinci Django or Marshall, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Camber, Transition Smuggler, Pyga Stage, Norco Sight, Yeti SB4.5c, or an Evil Following. There's a ridiculous wealth of offerings in the 120-140mm 29er shred sled range. Put them on a dart board and just fling away, you're bound to hit something you'll fall in love with and ride the living shit out of with a grin on your face.

BT180

Max Pfaff
A few guys are killing it on the Northern Beaches at the moment riding the Jeffsy. Will handle everything in the local area, including the trails that people are using 'enduro' rigs for. Also seeing a few Pivot Switchblades around, which are also gobbling up everything in their paths.