29er tubes - Schwalbe

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
G'Day All,

Have been looking at options for tubes, particularly tubes suitable for racing.

One guy in England recommended Schwalbe 700C tubes. Said Schwalbe recommend these as the rim size is the same and their wider tubes are very light.

The model he mentioned was SV 19A

Has anyone used these or have experience with different tubes?

Roland

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
G'Day All,

Have been looking at options for tubes, particularly tubes suitable for racing.

One guy in England recommended Schwalbe 700C tubes. Said Schwalbe recommend these as the rim size is the same and their wider tubes are very light.

The model he mentioned was SV 19A

Has anyone used these or have experience with different tubes?

Roland
Depends on the size - if it's around 52 IIRC then it's cool, otherwise it maybe too narrow. What size tyres are these going in?

Others to look for are WTB and Kenda. I've used the WTB for the past 3.5 years and although they might be on the heavier side they have been rock solid and I've never had a flat... I've bought a pair of the Kenda's to try out but based on the performance of the WTB's it might be a while before they get used!

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Tyres are 29 X 2.1

The tubes are 700 X 45C I think.

They look as wide as a normal 26" MTB tube.

Was looking more for race-light rather than a heavier tube for general riding

Roland

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Tyres are 29 X 2.1

The tubes are 700 X 45C I think.

They look as wide as a normal 26" MTB tube.

Was looking more for race-light rather than a heavier tube for general riding

Roland
They should be OK in a 2.1 width tyre, but any larger tyres, 2.2+, they'll probably be too thin. I had a look at the Schwalbe US website - http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/tubes - and the SV19A's (which I think might be one you're talking about) are pretty light at 140g each. My Kenda's weighed in at 187g each and the WTB's were around 200g (from memory) so there's a fair range.

Go for it and see what happens...

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Using them lots, and they seem fine. If you check Schwalbe's site they rate them for up to 28x2.35. No inexplicable flats or anything, although being lighter they are probably slightly more prone to pinching than the heavier fare, but I can't really make a straight line correlation there. Removable valve stems are nice too....

DbD

Likes Bikes
I've used Maxxis 26" Ultralight 1.9/2.125 tubes for 3 years...with only a couple of punctures and no other problems. They weigh 125g, and can be had for Brunswick St Cycles (if you're in Melb) for 3 for the price of 2. Normally $15 each.

maxxis tubes too

I have used the Maxxis 26" Ultralight 1.9/2.125 for the last 3 years too and they are great, just have to stretch them over the rim as you put them on but it's no big deal.

Rob

bingobong

Likes Bikes
You can use 26 inch tubes on the 29er rims and tyres. It takes a bit of stretching and manouvering to get them mounted but they work fine. I would still carry a proper 29inch tube as a spare as it is easier to mount trailside than a 26 inch tube but either can be done.

DbD

Likes Bikes
You can use 26 inch tubes on the 29er rims and tyres. It takes a bit of stretching and manouvering to get them mounted but they work fine. I would still carry a proper 29inch tube as a spare as it is easier to mount trailside than a 26 inch tube but either can be done.
My 26" tube mounting technique is to ...
1. seat the bed on one side of the tyre, then put in the tube (which won't stretch all of the way around), then
2. seat the first 1/2 of the second bead
3. stretch the tube and sit it inside the seated first bead of the tyre
4. seat the rest of the second bead, ensuring that the

Rich

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
For anyone inerested

Recommended Schwalbe tube for 29er is code SV19

Race-light Schwalbe tube for 29er is code SV19A

Regards

Roland