29er weight weenie slander thread aka the big travel 29er thread

clockworked

Like an orange
Thanks JD, that's just what i was after.

They'd be going on that trek remedy above. I went some lazy research to try and find their weight (without walking ALL the way to the bike and actually measuring them..) but have come up with naught. Unless they're dramatically heavier than the 1900 benchmark then i'll probably just leave them till they're too fucked out to ride.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks JD, that's just what i was after.

They'd be going on that trek remedy above. I went some lazy research to try and find their weight (without walking ALL the way to the bike and actually measuring them..) but have come up with naught. Unless they're dramatically heavier than the 1900 benchmark then i'll probably just leave them till they're too fucked out to ride.
yeah mate unless you are going for performance- XC racing or endurance events- those wheels are fine. Weight wise they would be in the ball park - you would be spending money on bling rather than performance or lighter weight.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will give a vote for Hopes laced to WTB i23 32 hole x 3 cross.
Same width as a Flow rim but built with a tubeless ready rim.
The tyre world is going to TLR and from what I am reading this does not play well with the Stans hook bead.
As a result I went looking for a rim that was TLR.
Far cheaper than the Stans option too via CRC.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I will give a vote for Hopes laced to WTB i23 32 hole x 3 cross.
Same width as a Flow rim but built with a tubeless ready rim.
The tyre world is going to TLR and from what I am reading this does not play well with the Stans hook bead.
As a result I went looking for a rim that was TLR.
Far cheaper than the Stans option too via CRC.

yeah good call Sumgy- I too am finding TR tyres are struggling with Stans.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'll give the i23 a wrap as a stiff rim that has been easy to tubeless up with Maxxis and Schwable tyres.

Not light but pretty decent weight compared to flows considering the similar width.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Happy with the i23’s I have on my 29er. They handle my 105kgs and bad line choices out at the You Yangs.

If you’re getting a set second hand then just make sure that you don’t get an older set made from the 7000 series aluminium – can be prone to cracks.

They also seal up TR tyres no problems (even those ones which the Easton’s don’t want to play with). If you want a bit more width they now come in i25 as well (same width as Flow EX).

The wide Chinese carbon hope mentioned before, are they the Derby ones?

MountGower

Likes Dirt
If you’re getting a set second hand then just make sure that you don’t get an older set made from the 7000 series aluminium – can be prone to cracks.
That is interesting. I just returned a pair of i23 rims to CRC and was refunded in full. They were both cracking at several spoke holes and a spoke actually pulled out of the rim on the last ride before I sent them back. I was conceptually sold and happy with the price, no doubt, but that rear was looking pretty ugly by the time I returned the rims. I rebuilt using two of the run out Flow rims I had hanging around under the house. Whilst they have a tubeless bead opposed to the enlarged BSD on the ZTR rims, I had no problems securing very second hand standard folding Saguaros and a pair just as old wire beaded Exiwolfs, so I'm pretty happy with the way the i23 rims went for me - besides them literally falling apart. It's nice to know it is a common problem and has been fixed, but I'm not sure when I'll justify getting back to them as I no longer need wheels.

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
That thing is too light for this thread.
It is almost an XC race bike at that weight and with those wheels and tyres. :D
True.
But im thinking of getting some Stans Flow EX wheels and maybe Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic rear tyres.
But so far the wheel and tyre combo i have now is holding up all right for my Local trails.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Dig... dig... dig...

I like this one. Feels like it's filled with helium but can still casually swat away anything I vaguely point it at. S***load of fun to ride too.

20151203_145219.jpg