29er wheelset upgrade advice

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
OK brains trust I'm after some advice on a wheelset upgrade. Currently running the Raceface AR27 + Novatec hub wheelset that came stock on my Hightower. The wheels have been generally OK though a bit heavy, the freehub seal design is shit so it chews bearings in the wet and I've and had a few issues breaking spokes on the rear, but otherwise have stood up reasonably well to a couple of years of abuse. My riding is very much trail/AM, I don't race enduro though I don't mind a rock garden and casing small jumps is my specialty.

So I'm thinking an upgrade is needed to see if I can drop some weight and maybe gain some stiffness (and also I'm about due to upgrade something). I want them to be 30mm so I'm covered for wider tyres, but currently trying to decide on alloy vs carbon and how much $$ I spend. Options I'm toying with are....

1. Hunt Trail Wide (alloy) - ~$780, so cheap and get good reviews, but would I notice enough of an upgrade? I believe the Hunts use re-branded Novatec hubs, have to assume they are better than the ones I have now given the positive reviews around?
  2. Bontrager Line Elite (carbon) - $1500. More $$ but seem to get good reviews. Have a 2 year no questions asked replacement policy then after that a crash-replacement program. Plus lifetime warranty. Weight is very close to the Hunts.

I'm leaning toward the Hunts but worried that I might not actually find them much of an upgrade?? Or do I go the carbon Bonts (or something else altogether)? I really like the idea of lifetime crash replacement on carbon wheels (ie like ENVE do), but I really can't talk myself into spending $2.5k upwards on wheels.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
New 2021 DT XM1700. Complete build of 350 hub/XM481 rim which is basically as good as it gets in terms of value and reliability. Incredibly easy to service hubs with parts widely available, 30 mm internal width etc. Come taped and with valves ready for tyres and sealant. AMB says they should be about $1300 (not available just yet) or the previous version M1700s are on Pushys for $1k but only with HG freehub and TBH less of an upgrade over the AR27s, though the hubs are better still.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you weighed your current wheels? No point hunting weight savings if you don’t know what you’re on currently.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
New 2021 DT XM1700. Complete build of 350 hub/XM481 rim which is basically as good as it gets in terms of value and reliability. Incredibly easy to service hubs with parts widely available, 30 mm internal width etc. Come taped and with valves ready for tyres and sealant. AMB says they should be about $1300 (not available just yet) or the previous version M1700s are on Pushys for $1k but only with HG freehub and TBH less of an upgrade over the AR27s, though the hubs are better still.
Seem to be available through bikecomponents which is where I got my E1700s from pre-covid.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure if the Bontrager wheels have changed since I had them on my 2018 Fuel but I had issues with them cracking/delaminating. I'm not super heavy or hitting anything big either. Now on EX 1501's way too much for me but I don't think I could ever break them
Trek were very good with warranty (happened twice) but still annoying.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running a set of Bontrager Line Pro wheels and I have to admit they're pretty good.
They're rather stiff so depending on your weight and riding style (or lack thereof) you might find them comfortable or too much. I'm 100kgs.

The engagement is very quick, they sound superb and they've handled a case or two from some of my less spectacular riding.
Based on the wheel set weight you've mentioned, you'll feel the benefit immediately in how they spin up to speed.
I cracked one and they warrantied it no questions. The straight pull bladed spokes can get a little musical too from time to time.

I've also got a set of Hope Fortus 30 wheels which are heavier but not oppressively so. Pro4 hubs are just great.
No issues or problems with those either.

I've been thinking about another set of wheels and I'd have a hard time going past the Hopes again.

Carbon is lovely but it gets a little annoying thinking about cracking your rims on a rock or something. I've purposely avoided taking a bike to a riding location or set trails just because I didn't want to damage the wheels. Pretty stupid really.

You then end up putting inserts in or DD tyres which negate much if not all of the weight savings made.

If you just want to have a decent set of wheels and ride the bike, get the Hopes. You'll seldom regret buying / running them and you won't be precious about them either. Unless those Bontrager ( or any other carbon wheels) are on some super close out deal you are going to wince through most rock gardens.

Just my experience.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just checked the DT Swiss website and the new XM1700s come with the 36t ratchet as well, so a good choice for a bulletproof wheelset. The EX1700s are only a few grams more for the burlier EX511 rims.

Or, you could build a set of XM481s / EX511s on 350 (36t) hubs for less than $1k. Buy the parts from bikecomponents or r2bike.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I've been meaning to reply to this post all day but stupid work keeps getting in the way...

For reference, I have a set of Hunt Trail wide wheels on my Transition Sentinel. It's my 'one bike to rule them all' and as such I wanted reasonable weight for trail duties but strong for the shuttle days at bright/Buller and jumps out at Eatons. All within a budget of course.

I think they are good wheels and good value but I'm not sure there is anything outstanding about them. With that in mind, I'm not sure you would see a huge upgrade on current wheels.

You are right that they are apparently rebranded Novatech hubs but mine have been trouble free with good engagement and smooth bearings. I believe that while Novatech make some cheap crap hubs, they also make some good quality ones.

My biggest positive for Hunt (besides good value) is customer service. You might see the following story as a positive or a negative but I see it as a positive...

After almost 2 months on the wheels, I checked the spokes. Front was fine but back had a few that were a little low on tension. After giving it all a tweak, I realised there was a slight flat spot in the rear rim. I contacted Hunt as I was inside the 60 day trial period. I explained the terrain I was riding on, my bike, my weight etc and asked if I could get the Enduro Wide back wheel instead of the Trail wide. They responded immediately to say the Enduro Wide was in the post at not cost.

They backed up their promised trial period and took me at my word re the damage that occurred. I have had no issues with the Eduro wide wheel and it has never even needed a tweak to the spokes.

I would recommend Hunt as a brand and I would recommend their wheels as a good option to anyone looking for value.

BUT - I'm not sure they will be an upgrade for you and I would encourage you to think about your riding and whether the Trail Wide or the Enduro wide (or a combination of Trail up front and Enduro in the rear) would be your best option if you do decide to go for them.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems like Hunt enduro wheels in 29” are similar weight to your current wheels.

I recently built Spank 350’s onto Hope/Hadley hubs and ended up with 2055g wheelset in 29”. XM1700 are quoted 215g lighter at 1841g in 29” and the 481 rims are quoted as similar weight to my 350’s. DT hubs must be super light weight or they are using alloy nipples and lightweight spokes.

I guess you need to decide whether spending ~$500 more on xm1700 for around 250g weight saving over an ~$800 Hunt/Hope or other built wheelset is worth it.

edit: I’m a derp and didn’t read the title

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got them Bongtrager Line Carbon 30 wheels (J bend spokes) on my Fuel EX, I'm 105kg, have cased jumps, and had a few stacks, ridden rock gardens, I use EXO casings, no rim protection, and they are holding up nicely after 21 months. The braking load bearing spokes on the LHS of the rear wheel started breaking less than 12 months in, I replaced them myself because I didn't want to be without the bike while the warranty biz happened.

K.C.

Likes Dirt
sorry, not sorry for hijacking thread :p
i got a quote for xm521 + microsplined hope hubs for $1350. did not specify spoke or nipple. is that good value?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find most alloy wheels feel pretty much the same, some a tad stiffer than others but nothing dramatic. What I do notice is if the hub has shit engagement, like the 18pts on dt swiss pawl hub..
If you really what a noticeable performance upgrade then carbon rims are where you are looking.. Esp if you are heavier.. There is a clear and obvious difference between alloy and carbon unlike a lot of mtb upgrades that a more subtle.. I reckon carbon rims are right up there as one of the best upgrades you can do to xc-trail bikes..
I like to hit small jumps and rock gardens and haven’t had issues with chinese carbon rims (AM layup, 29mm id).. I have 2 sets laced to Chris Kings and Hope Pro 4s.. I am the sort of rider who uses schwable snakeskin and maxxis exo casing..
If I had an enduro bike, and my riding was all gravity smashing into stuff, then I would be using alloy rims.. Imo carbon rims are at there best on undulating terrain, where you really notice the lighter weight, faster acceleration and stiffness.. I’m sure they are amazing on enduro bikes but you would really want to get a set with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.. $$$$...