29er XC race bike (with "brain" suspension) ?

Hello to all,

I'm primarily a roadie but I do the local XC races. Pretty much race-only, I don't do any trail riding.

Currently I have a Merida 26" dualie, I think they call it a 96er? Its been a good rig and has nothing wrong with it but I don't feel its the most efficient when pedalling especially on the climbs.

I'm considering going to a dual suspension 29er. 100mm of travel would be pleanty.

I see some of the new bikes have this "brain" type suspension whereby they automatically adjust on the fly.

The Lapierre xr looks interesting. More interesting is probably the s-works epic since my buddy is the local dealer for them.

Is there any other models worth considering? Since I don't use my mountain bikes a lot and for nothing more than racing I don't mind spending the money for a decent one but at the sametime I keep them for at least 5 years so need something that isn't going to fall appart on me as well.

Thanks.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It's hard to go past a 29er hardtail for racing, especially if you don't use it as a trail bike as well. In your position, I would get a carbon 29er hardtail.

The epic will be the most hardtail-like dually you will get but will be heavier than an equivalently priced hardtail.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The brain suspension in the epics really does work like they say. They are an outstanding race bike. If you can afford an S-works get one.

onrails

Likes Bikes
I have recently bought one of these Carbon epics.

Its amazing to ride and once you get the setting right for your trail its even better.
Rides so nice over rocks, drops and jumps. Yes its a little heavier mine weighed in at 13.3 kgs stock.

It's hard to go past a 29er hardtail for racing, especially if you don't use it as a trail bike as well. In your position, I would get a carbon 29er hardtail.

The epic will be the most hardtail-like dually you will get but will be heavier than an equivalently priced hardtail.
I'm doing endurance events and the trails we race on rough, rocky and lots of roots. By the time I'm 2 or 3 hours in I'm running over all sorts of stuff I'd normally miss. My days of racing a hard tail are well and truely over. I don't want something with big travel but need about 100mm to handle the bigger hits.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Many great options but I paid for an Epic. It sports a race focused suspension tune; it'll take the edge of the hits but won't bob when you stand and hammer.

It's a very capable bike.

I also have a soft spot for the Rocky Mountain 29er dually, as well as the 'dale.

jimspr

Likes Bikes
I recently sold my 26" epic for the 29" lapierre xr 729 with the electronic suspension. I couldn't be any happier. It may be the change from the 26 to the 29. However a preemptive system is much more superior system then the epic reactive system. I also have a carbon hardtail in a 26". Being on the wrong side of 40, the dually is far more forgiving.

dottyman

Likes Dirt
I have recently bought one of these Carbon epics.

Its amazing to ride and once you get the setting right for your trail its even better.
Rides so nice over rocks, drops and jumps. Yes its a little heavier mine weighed in at 13.3 kgs stock.
I am also looking at Epic 29ers. Which model is yours? Surprised at the weight,is that with pedals?

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
I am also looking at Epic 29ers. Which model is yours? Surprised at the weight,is that with pedals?
I'm surprised by that weight too. I have a 2013 epic comp that's 10.7kg with pedals. I've got the roval carbon wheels though, but I doubt they make that much difference.

I recently sold my 26" epic for the 29" lapierre xr 729 with the electronic suspension. I couldn't be any happier. It may be the change from the 26 to the 29. However a preemptive system is much more superior system then the epic reactive system. I also have a carbon hardtail in a 26". Being on the wrong side of 40, the dually is far more forgiving.
These are on my list - do you really think its better than the s-works?

Where did you buy it from?

Hugor

Likes Dirt
You'd never go wrong with an S works epic as a race bike. Its gotta be one of the most capable race bikes you can get.
Need a pretty thick wallet though and like the epic it will be very light when you've made the purchase.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards 29" lapierre xr 729 or 529. Lower price point than an s-works and arguably more high-tech.

For those who have one of these, can you tell me the size you went with, if you are happy with the size and your height?

The Medium is smaller than my current bike(s) and the Large is bigger - I fit kind of between the two. I'm about 179cm tall and normally ride an 18" mountain bike with 26" wheels.

DrSlow

Squid
I'm 179cm and have a medium xr 529 ei. I tried the large also and thought it felt a bit too big. Seat is a fair way back on a straight post. Swap out the stock wheelset for a lighter set and it will be sub 12kgs with cage and pedals.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're buying now Lapierre is probably the way to go. Wait for next season and the Epic will be the go (redesign).

I think you'll find a medium 26" 99Carbon and a medium 29" xr729 to fit very similarly in length. 74d seat angle and 585mm top tube versus 72.5d seat angle and 600mm top tube makes for an almost identical fit.

No one else uses 'brain' technology...it's a Specialized/Fox design. However, there are plenty of very effecient dual suspension platforms out there. Giant Anthem, Trek Superfly100, Cannondale Scalpel are the obvious others to throw a leg over before dropping cash.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm leaning pretty heavily towards 29" lapierre xr 729 or 529. Lower price point than an s-works
Get on the phone to Yarra Valley Cycles, they've just taken delivery of a handful more Lappierres.
They are very popular and selling fast!

If you can stretch the budget, the EI system is phenomenal!
They have EI versions in the 529 and 729 in stock, as well as regular models.

I'm 179cm and have a medium xr 529 ei. I tried the large also and thought it felt a bit too big. Seat is a fair way back on a straight post. Swap out the stock wheelset for a lighter set and it will be sub 12kgs with cage and pedals.
Wheels will be going for sure since I'm the Pro-Lite distributor.

Would you mind checking a couple of measurements for me off your bike?

I run the seat height at 73cm, measured along the seat tube from centre of bb to top of saddle.

Nose of saddle to centre of handlebar is 54cm

Is that pretty similar to your setup?

I hate buying this sight unseen but I'm pretty keen on the Lapierre and locally there isn't much choice... Stock seems pretty rare among the Lapierre dealers as well so if I don't make a decision soon I maybe waiting for a 2014 model.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Stock seems pretty rare among the Lapierre dealers as well so if I don't make a decision soon I maybe waiting for a 2014 model.
I would...I'm told that Advanced Traders have a lot of stuff on the water at the moment including much that is branded Lapierre. And shopfittings for a something like a dozen retailers so I suspect they are looking to make a splash this financial year.

jimspr

Likes Bikes
Wheels will be going for sure since I'm the Pro-Lite distributor.

Would you mind checking a couple of measurements for me off your bike?

I run the seat height at 73cm, measured along the seat tube from centre of bb to top of saddle.

Nose of saddle to centre of handlebar is 54cm

Is that pretty similar to your setup?

I hate buying this sight unseen but I'm pretty keen on the Lapierre and locally there isn't much choice... Stock seems pretty rare among the Lapierre dealers as well so if I don't make a decision soon I maybe waiting for a 2014 model.
Jack, where you at?
Happy for you to come check mine out.

Thanks for the offer Jim - I'm in Mackay in QLD. Not sure where you are but pretty sure its a long way from here :)

I've placed the order, Bicycle Express were kind enough to offer that if once I assemble it I'm not happy with the size - box it up and send back and they'll swap it out for the Large for the cost of freight.

I'm pretty confident I have ordered the correct size. What is interesting is the mixed sizing recommendations from the three dealers I spoke to.

jimspr

Likes Bikes
I'm in sunny Melbourne Jack. I have the medium and mates your height have ridden it. I reckon you will be ok.