$2k's worth of weekend warrior machine?

McPete

Likes Dirt
Hi folks,

I've been recommended to come here and ask about spending some money on a dirt machine, so here's my conundrum;
I've got an as yet hypothetical $2000 to spend on a bike. I'm after an all-round machine for a pretty average weekend warrior sort of bloke. I'm aware of the shed loads of very nice second hand machines on here, but, for a bit of DH, a bit of dirt jumping and a bit of tooling around on the street, what's a good buy for two grand?

The local shop (Spearman's for those who know it) has said that they'd be happy to get something outside their normal range in for me (Giant, Specialized, Avanti and Cannondale). They also have second hand stock for me to peruse, so there may be a wildcard.

Thanks for you input,
Peter

Big_Chief

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first of all welcome to farkin.

now as for your question. you can get a pretty decent all round machine for under 2 grand. im am hating myself for saying this but, the giant stps seem to be pretty much one of the best value for money hardtails available on the market. I would either look at one of these or a bike in the norco range.

I would also recommend you have a geeze at the bikes for sale on this site.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I would also recommend you have a geeze at the bikes for sale on this site.
Agreed, have a llok in the trading area and see what type of second hand bike you can get for your money. It will give you a good idea on names of bikes aswell. Farkin is a very fruitful way of getting you out in the bush.........;) Welcome aboard.

McPete

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,
I've had a bit of a stab on an old sans-suspension Stumpy, which feels very un-planted on the loose dirt, and the brakes aren't really up to task.
A breif ride on my mate's Avanti D'Eight(He's on here somewhere, Matt D8 or something like that) showed me how good a bike can be on the dirt, it felt wonderfully planted and secure, and the brakes are very good and powerful.

I was really keen on last year's Apollo-Raceline Gravity, which I was quoted $1500 for, but noe they've gone and replaced it with the rather low-spec Gauntlet... So the STP is looking good. What model would I be getting for this money?

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
2k buys a lot of bike at the moment. The best advice you'll get is to ride as many as you can before you go shopping. It's no good getting a good value STP if you then decide that you want 6 inches of suspension travel (the STP has no rear suspension). If you use the search function at the top of the forum pages you will find countless threads on 'which bike' sort of topics but if you try a few out you'll be able to narrow it down a bit. You could even start cheaper than that and test the waters a bit. Good luck with it and we expect you back here shortly with a brand spankin' expensive new addiction!

Doggy

Inconceivable!
if you are looking at the dually's have you considered the Norco Six range. More then capable of handling some downhill and cruising around. Probably not as capable as an stp on dirtjumping though:)

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
STP's are good value but... Given the size and steepness of the hills on the escarpment and the lack of good street riding, I'd go for something with more travel and big brakes, Norco Manic & sasquach are pretty well suited or maybe a Kona Five-O.

McPete

Likes Dirt
Norco Six-series bikes are a bit out of my price range at present... Damn nice machines though. I can't actually find anything on the Five-O...

Is the Avanti Derelikt (or however it's meant to be misspelt...) worth a look?

So long as I have a toe hold for improving my dirt skills (I'm a road rider to begin with...) I'll be happy. The Mk.1 Stumpy and pre-disc Rockhopper I've currently got access to are... aieeee, not really confidence inspiring machines in the hands of a mug like me, although my mates think they're awesome fun to throw around on the very loose stuff up at Possum.

I was looking at a really nice RaceLine Extreme DH Pro, but then one of my mates goes and buys it... Curses and damnation :p