2nd hand 5" dually choice - opinions?

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I am in the market for a 2nd hand 5" dual sus bike, found two (at the same asking price) so would love some opinions on which would be the better buy as I cannot seem to decide between them and I have read good reviews on both.

One is a 2005 Scott Genuis MC30 and the other is a 2008 Giant Trance X2.

The Scott on paper has the better spec (TALAS RL, XT/XTR everything else) although it's all 4 year old gear and so not the latest. I've read that the Genius has a short top tube for its size, and the rear shock is their own proprietary one that I'm worried may cost a lot to repair/replace down the track.

The Trance is only a year old, the spec isn't as good (F120R, Float R rear, mostly LX) but still quite OK. Suspension won't have the adjustability of the Scott but I'm sure it's all well above my ability levels anyway.

I'm leaning towards the Trance at the moment mainly because it's newer with a standard rear shock that any LBS can service. I've read the Genius can be quite an amazing bike though - would I be out of my mind passing one up?? Opinions from anyone who has ridden either/both of these would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id be taking the giant. i recon the giant frame rides better, and even though the componentry and suspension level isnt as high, its 4 years newer and is almost guarenteed to work better because of that.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
I ride a Genius and have riden a Trance too.

Go the Scott... better quality frame IMO.
The scott shock are not that bad to rebuild.. around $200 and are very affective.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the service history on both like? Fox suspension is great, but if you don't keep on top of servicing then it could well be flogged to hell. Same with drive train etc of course.

Other than that I'd test ride both if I could. Everyone has a Trance, so you won't be different, but that doesn't mean they're a bad bike either. If the Maestro setup is anything like the DW link (and according to some lawyer types it might be ;) ) then it should perform very well.

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Yeah they have both been serviced recently, the Scott had both fork and shock rebuilt 3 months ago. The Giant, being fairly new, hasn't needed to be rebuilt yet but the servicing has been done properly.

Also, I know the pivot bearings on the Giant are standard types and replacements can be found easily, not sure about the Scott. Anyone know if they are highly specific bearings that are expensive to replace?

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming!

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Take each for a ride... ignoring everything else.... which one 'feels' better....

sometimes it just can't be explained why one bike fits better than another.... everything else on a bike (bar the frame) is a consumable...

s

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a vague memory of the Scott shock using spherical bearings rather than bushings. A far better setup, but if they are knackered then they will be more expensive.

All things being equal though, I'd definitely go for a test ride.

joe79

Likes Dirt
I ride an 08 Trace X2, it's a fantastic bike.
The spec isn't the highest, but it's actually hanging in well despite riding 100+ kms a week and numerous races over the last year.
The lack of pro pedal is annoying at times, and the stock brakes didn't impress me, but other than that it's a solid performer which i'm expecting to ride for years to come.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
i have ridden both bikes (both 2008) and while they are both very very nice bikes the scott is just so much nicer it just dose everything better.
But the one your looking at is a 2005 one so if i was in your position i would go with the giant

my 2c

Todd

EDIT: and like everyone is saying test ride them both before you decide