35mm

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
If you'd be looking for a new cockpit would you consider going to 35mm? If not, why not? I'm not chasing the latest trends to be clear here but it just happens that the bars that I'm looking at are 35mm and as I also need a new stem I could easily go down that path.

Noobs

Squid
For the last couple of months I've had the Race Face Atlas 35mm bars + stem on my FR/DH bike... aaaand I've just swapped back to 31.8mm.

To be honest, there wasn't a huge difference. The main thing I noticed was that the larger bar diameter transferred vibrations to my hands a lot more than the 31.8mm versions. The 35mm feels more rigid, but - for me at least - that isn't a good thing as it just made me hands/forearms fatigue more quickly on the sketchy/rough stuff. After a few rides with the 31.8mm bars back on, I don't miss the 35mm at all.

Maybe there are more benefits to be had with carbon 35mm bars with regard to weight, strength and compliance?

teK--

Eats Squid
I imagine the extra stiffness only gonna be a benefit for heavier riders or proper DH use.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was going to but was put off by reports of being too stiff. I dont mind a bit of compliance in the bars flexing, and was one of the reasons for going to a carbon bar so the 35mm seemed a bit self defeating.

Also whilst the selection of bars were good, eg. RF havens, the stems seemed a bit lacking in the options department. Anyway that's all just speculation from me, buy some and let us know how you go.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I discussed this with Krischan (EightyOneSpices) as he used to work as an engineer at Syntace developing the P6 seatpost....

Syntace did a lot of in-house testing and it was decided that 35mm wasn't worth it in their opinion except for super wide bars and heavy riders.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
For the last couple of months I've had the Race Face Atlas 35mm bars + stem on my FR/DH bike... aaaand I've just swapped back to 31.8mm.

To be honest, there wasn't a huge difference. The main thing I noticed was that the larger bar diameter transferred vibrations to my hands a lot more than the 31.8mm versions. The 35mm feels more rigid, but - for me at least - that isn't a good thing as it just made me hands/forearms fatigue more quickly on the sketchy/rough stuff. After a few rides with the 31.8mm bars back on, I don't miss the 35mm at all.

Maybe there are more benefits to be had with carbon 35mm bars with regard to weight, strength and compliance?
Funnily enough I was looking into that exact combination. After reading a few other reviews though that matches your experience + not being a heavy rider I guess I will not look into it further. My gut tells me to stick with 31.8 and thats what I will go with. Thanks for the input guys.

BizL

Likes Dirt
I just got a chromag bza setup for me reign. I'm 103kg and 190cm so I'll let yA know after a ride this weekend.

sprocket

Likes Dirt
I ride a 35mm syncros setup and love it, but I'm 120kilos and ride 780mm bars so I'm not finding them to ridged, if I was lighter and shorter and not so aggressive I'd be riding a 31.8mm

mint355

Likes Dirt
I ride a 35mm syncros setup and love it, but I'm 120kilos and ride 780mm bars so I'm not finding them to ridged, if I was lighter and shorter and not so aggressive I'd be riding a 31.8mm
Well I ride a 31.8mm syntace setup and love it, but I'm 85kilos and ride 808mm bars so I'm not finding them ridged, if I was lighter and shorter and not so aggressive I'd be riding a 26.1mm...... Horses for courses I guess...... Thanks for your input. LOL no but seriously this new standard is a waste of time....

Z

Zaf

Well I ride a 31.8mm syntace setup and love it, but I'm 85kilos and ride 808mm bars so I'm not finding them ridged, if I was lighter and shorter and not so aggressive I'd be riding a 26.1mm...... Horses for courses I guess...... Thanks for your input. LOL no but seriously this new standard is a waste of time....
35mm is the limits of the kool-aid you'll drink? :D

Z

Zaf

I think I might be one of the few on the forums at the moment that's slurping this Kool-aid back in gulps.
I went with a 35mm cockpit on my Yeti when I got it back in July/August last year, I've recently upgraded the Atlas bars with SixC Carbon's with a larger rise on it. The carbon and rise helped with some issues I was having with my hands cramping a little after an hour or two in the saddle, I suspect form both the combination of a less forward weighted ride position from the increased height of the cockpit, as well as the damping of the carbon.

My motivations for getting it were to do with bike fit somewhat also. The Raceface Atlas 35mm stem comes in a tiny short 35mm length as well, and as I'm on the lower side of the XL frame I bought, it was bought to assist with keeping from feeling like Superman every time I threw a leg over the bike with its mix of HUGE top tube length. Also, I couldn't see any disadvantages other than parts compatibility with previous stuff.

The only other cockpit I have to compare it is that on my Fuel EX, which runs a wide 800mm bar also, with a Kore Torsion 31.8 handlebar to a Truvativ Hussellfelt 60mm stem (shorter top tube). And that's alloy, on an alloy frame, with a much smaller travel and stanchioned fork, so there aren't really enough variables being controlled for me to adequately compare the two.

35mm is seemingly one of those "fixes for something not broke", but the same was said for 31.8mm when people were transitioned off 27mm, I certainly don't perceive any disadvantages of the system. Cockpit has been a solid "fit and forget" type of affair, it goes where I point it, its bolts stay snug, I don't need to think about it.

On a side note, i do love the aesthetic of it, big flared, oversized clamp areas, certainly fits the tube sizing of the Yeti a bit...and it came in my colours.

Great write-ups guys, i keep seeing 'good deals' for 35mm bars on Facebook and the forums. I now understand why people are off-loading them. I think i'll hang out for some 31.8s!!!!

Great write-ups guys, i keep seeing 'good deals' for 35mm bars on Facebook and the forums. I now understand why people are off-loading them. I think i'll hang out for some 31.8s!!!!
I just went from standard Norco 31.8 760mm bars and 65mm stem to Raceface 35 ride bars 760mm and RF Turbine 50mm stem. I gained 75grams and the front feels much stiffer. I am 115kg kitted and ride aggressively tho, but 31.8's would still suit me. I just got them cause they were cheap used and I wanted to try a 50mm stem over the 65mm I had.

I just went from standard Norco 31.8 760mm bars and 65mm stem to Raceface 35 ride bars 760mm and RF Turbine 50mm stem. I gained 75grams and the front feels much stiffer. I am 115kg kitted and ride aggressively tho, but 31.8's would still suit me. I just got them cause they were cheap used and I wanted to try a 50mm stem over the 65mm I had.
Well said, i reckon you've just made my mind up. I'm 80kgs and definately not a hard hitter on the bike. 35mms seem a bit risky for me