38mm+ riser bars opinions

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a higher rise bar as I feel that I'm in almost an XC position on my new bike. I currently have a 25mm riser but I'm thinking of a 38mm all the way up to a 50mm bar.

Has anyone swapped their bar for a higher rise and what did you go for?

I'm quite tempted by the Chromag FU50 - $119 with free shipping

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I run Spank Spike Vibracore 50mm riser bars. I like them, very stiff but don't give the harsh buzz some bars do. Chromag are generally meant to be pretty good quality though I believe...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've some Raceface Atlas 35mm rise bars and now on the hardtail I have some Deity 38mm rise bars.

Definitely worth it. You get the rise in the cockpit without losing reach.

And I was just watching this funnily enough.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Think you get the same effect but less fun by raising them if possible via spacers if your steerer is long enough ?
I always use spacers in case it needs tweeking.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I run Spank Spike Vibracore 50mm riser bars. I like them, very stiff but don't give the harsh buzz some bars do. Chromag are generally meant to be pretty good quality though I believe...
+1.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Think you get the same effect but less fun by raising them if possible via spacers if your steerer is long enough ?
Depends in how far rolled forward the bars are.

HamboCairns

It is but I flipped the spacers to give myself a bit more length, so the next logical step is to then raise the bars to (over)compensate.

beeb

It is but I flipped the spacers to give myself a bit more length, so the next logical step is to then raise the bars to (over)compensate.
I saw you mention this in your PYR, out of curiousity - what length are you gaining? Reach? Swapping the spacers to bring the bars up is probably only going to loose you about 3mm of reach... I'm pretty OCD (king of the placebo effect maybe?), but even I doubt I can pick a 3mm difference in reach. Might be worth trying for a ride or two to get a feel for having the bars a bit higher... Personally I love all of the height, and would happily sacrifice 3mm of reach to not feel like I'm being pulled forward!

HamboCairns

I saw you mention this in your PYR, out of curiousity - what length are you gaining? Reach? Swapping the spacers to bring the bars up is probably only going to loose you about 3mm of reach... I'm pretty OCD (king of the placebo effect maybe?), but even I doubt I can pick a 3mm difference in reach. Might be worth trying for a ride or two to get a feel for having the bars a bit higher... Personally I love all of the height, and would happily sacrifice 3mm of reach to not feel like I'm being pulled forward!
I'm going to flip the spacers back to see if it's just a case of getting used to a modern geometry bike. I'll know for sure after that!

I'm secretly hoping so as that $120 can go towards some new shoes or helmet.

beeb

I'm going to flip the spacers back to see if it's just a case of getting used to a modern geometry bike. I'll know for sure after that!

I'm secretly hoping so as that $120 can go towards some new shoes or helmet.
Costs nothing to try! :)

Staunch

Eats Squid
+3.
50mm is too high for me normally, but I bought a pair when I had an undersized frame and I can't fault them.

HamboCairns

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a higher rise bar as I feel that I'm in almost an XC position on my new bike. I currently have a 25mm riser but I'm thinking of a 38mm all the way up to a 50mm bar.

Has anyone swapped their bar for a higher rise and what did you go for?

I'm quite tempted by the Chromag FU50 - $119 with free shipping

Well it appears that this colour is coming into stock so I might just go with this one after all! I hope it's not overkill and I make the 'stack' too high..

HamboCairns

So I spent the money on a crash helmet but I'm back in the game and I just saw this...

There's a V2 version at over twice the price now but these seem to review well too. It's either these or the Chromag FU40 (black).

Thoughts?