3x10 Chain guides

Carlosjames64

Likes Bikes
Anyone had much experience with running a "chain guide" with a 3x10 setup? I'm looking at getting one (or making one) cause i'm sick of having to run in the middle ring all the time so it doesn't drop...

Any help would be appreciated :)

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Anyone had much experience with running a "chain guide" with a 3x10 setup? I'm looking at getting one (or making one) cause i'm sick of having to run in the middle ring all the time so it doesn't drop...

Any help would be appreciated :)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CNiVo7GH4scCFVckvQodqbgOSw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I ran one of these when I had a threaded BB. It sat on a shelf for a while, then I put it on a mates bike and it's still going after years. Works well with 3x.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What state are your rings in? The front derailleur normally does a pretty reasonable job of keeping the chain on, but if the rings are stuffed then dropping becomes a problem.

Carlosjames64

Likes Bikes
What state are your rings in? The front derailleur normally does a pretty reasonable job of keeping the chain on, but if the rings are stuffed then dropping becomes a problem.
Rings are still in relatively good condition, and the derailleur is adjusted right, and works fine. I probably worded my question wrong to be honest. I was more after a way to keep the chain tighter, as it rattles around a ridiculous amount, even when i'm on the big ring

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
OK. If you're running non-clutched 10-sp. swap your rear derailleur with a clutched type, Shadow+ for Shimano, Type 2 or 2.1 for SRAM. If you're running 9-sp. SRAM there are bodge options using Shimano 10 or 11-sp, or SRAM 11-sp derailleurs to SRAM shifters, but if you're on Shimano 9-sp. you're stuck with it unless you do a 10 or 11-sp. upgrade which at minimum requires cassette, chain, right shifter & rear derailleur.

There are under-chainring guides that mount to the bottom bracket (take the spacer out from behind the r/h cup to fit) which tame the chain slap to an extent, but I've only ever seen them for single & 2x, not 3x.

stirk

Burner
Go the clutched derailleur, they are awesome and so quiet.

Or.... shorten your chain but don't cross gear the big cogs! This I'm guessing would only slightly improve the slap anyway so clutched mech is best option.

Carlosjames64

Likes Bikes
OK. If you're running non-clutched 10-sp. swap your rear derailleur with a clutched type, Shadow+ for Shimano, Type 2 or 2.1 for SRAM. If you're running 9-sp. SRAM there are bodge options using Shimano 10 or 11-sp, or SRAM 11-sp derailleurs to SRAM shifters, but if you're on Shimano 9-sp. you're stuck with it unless you do a 10 or 11-sp. upgrade which at minimum requires cassette, chain, right shifter & rear derailleur.

There are under-chainring guides that mount to the bottom bracket (take the spacer out from behind the r/h cup to fit) which tame the chain slap to an extent, but I've only ever seen them for single & 2x, not 3x.
Thanks heaps for the help, I'll definitely be getting a clutched system in the near future.

In the meantime, I've made my own chain device, and made a post on how I did it :)

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?296214-DIY-Chainguide-tensioner&p=2997187#post2997187