4-Pot Brakes... Which ones???

k_d

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

On the weekend I rode a mates bike which had codes on it (which felt F**king brilliant), and was wondering which 4 pots everyone recommends?

I have looked around and found a few, are there any more that I should look at? And also, can you give a ride report if you own any of these?:
  • Hayes Stroker Aces
  • Hope M4's
  • Hope Tech M4's
  • Shimano Saints
  • Avid Code 5's
  • Avid Codes

floody

Wheel size expert
Saint. Powerful, reliable, consistent quality, reasonable price. You'd need one of each of the others to put those features together.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Saints hands down for me.
They take a bit of getting used to compared to other brakes, and feel a bit different, but fantastic modulation and excellent power, and got them at a brilliant price, love em.
Or maybe some old XT 4-pots, apparently some people think they were the best brake ever made....although you'd probably have to get a second hand pair.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
old XT 4-pots, apparently some people think they were the best brake ever made....
as long as you had the stainless braided hoses. I wish i'd never sold my set. Although my mono6's are pretty freekin sweet, the xt's are wicked so I'd be pretty keen to try some new saints (didnt care so much for 1st generation)

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run codes, I might custom them out a bit with Juicy lever's or just get some Code 5 levers....

ac_DHer

Likes Dirt
I got hayes stroker aces and they are felling awesome at the moment. There is a lot difference in the way they feel in comparison to the rest of the hayes range. A lot more braking through out the whole lever pull, unlike the 9's/Strocker Ryde's which are like on or off. Mind you i wouldn't pass up the chance for Saints.

+1 Aces

S.

ex offender
Reasonable price? Who are you trying to kid?
They're cheaper than Hopes, Formulas and I think Hayes (could be wrong about the Hayes though), just not as cheap as Avids - you can get em off TBSM for $279/end which is hardly highway robbery. Personally I consider the price "reasonable" because they are the best brake I've used. The power is phenomenal, they don't glaze over too easily, and being Shimano they're pretty user-friendly to work on. It'll be a cold day in hell before I willingly buy any alternative that's currently on the market.

Krank Bikes

www.krankbikes.com.au
They're cheaper than Hopes, Formulas and I think Hayes (could be wrong about the Hayes though), just not as cheap as Avids - you can get em off TBSM for $279/end which is hardly highway robbery. Personally I consider the price "reasonable" because they are the best brake I've used. The power is phenomenal, they don't glaze over too easily, and being Shimano they're pretty user-friendly to work on. It'll be a cold day in hell before I willingly buy any alternative that's currently on the market.
Totally agree. We believe that that there is no brake on the market that come close to the saint for overall and all round performance.

The extra money you pay for the saints over the avids is well worth it.

rone

Eats Squid
+1 for the XT 4-pots. Got these with Servo Wave XT levers and Goodridge hose. They're the best brake out there. Just got some more 4 piston calipers from Dolsa in the for Sale section and I'm building up another set exactly the same to go on my 'new' Demo 9. Definitely get steel lines, though.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
personal prefference

when your up at that end of the market i think theres a lot of personal prefference, i have found saints to be goo, undiniably strong but i found them a little on or off nothing in between, hopes are fantastic particularly withthe new tech lever. but if you want that sort of power and low weight go with Formula the one. only 2 piston but mad strength, modulation and feel to die for. they arew pricey but well worth it and there are good deals if you look around,like under 500 f&r.

plus if your not worried about brand name's despite what others think, the gator brake 6 pot is well worth it at 120 per end.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt

When you add the cost of brake mounts (TBSM $45 each) plus the cost of rotors (TBSM $50 each) the dollars start to add up for the Saints. Still I agree they are the brake to have. I saw a bloke on the weekend on his V10 with code calipers and Juicy Ultimate levers which looked the goods, can't imagine the price was cheap though.

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+ 50 million for the saints.

I was really surprised how fast I got used to them, and once I did... Woww.

The modulation doesn't seem that great at first, but thats because I was used to giving my brakes a little more to pull up, where as these are insanely powerfull with minimul effort required to pull up. Once I had a few rides on them, it was easy to say they're the best brake I've put my grubby little fingers on.

jsbighit

Likes Dirt
yeah another one for the saints but dont like the pads they come with been looking for a organic pad for the m810 but cant find any???