40t or 42t big cog with zee derailleur.... possible?

moman

Likes Dirt
I have a 5 inch dually (yeti sb95) and am currently running an xtr 11-36 cassette with a 30t wolf tooth up front and a free ride (wide range) zee rear derailleur.

As I'm tight I want to get either a 40t out back or a 42t and a new 32t for the front but keep my existing setup and just add in some spare links to my chain.

Looking for feedback from anyone who is using a zee RD with a big cog. How was setup? Did it work? Any tips etc.

Thanks!

moorey

call me Mia
I have a 5 inch dually (yeti sb95) and am currently running an xtr 11-36 cassette with a 30t wolf tooth up front and a free ride (wide range) zee rear derailleur.

As I'm tight I want to get either a 40t out back or a 42t and a new 32t for the front but keep my existing setup and just add in some spare links to my chain.

Looking for feedback from anyone who is using a zee RD with a big cog. How was setup? Did it work? Any tips etc.

Thanks!
Nope. just, nope.
Need a mid cage, I remember people trying this.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Thanks!
From the Hope Website with regards to the Hope T Rex

"Note 1: For a 1 x 10 set-up with a newly converted 11-40 cassette you will need a rear derailleur with
a 29T capacity [ 40-11=29 ]."

effarr

Likes Dirt
From the Hope Website with regards to the Hope T Rex

"Note 1: For a 1 x 10 set-up with a newly converted 11-40 cassette you will need a rear derailleur with
a 29T capacity [ 40-11=29 ]."
And the Zee wide ratio derailleur only has a 25T capacity (36-11)...

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You can get a RadR cage from One Up that will fix the Zee issue. Maybe the Wolftooth Goat link would work too.

Ideate

You can get a RadR cage from One Up that will fix the Zee issue. Maybe the Wolftooth Goat link would work too.
Yeah I'm going to use a goat link (much easier to fit than rad cage). I'll post some pics when the frame arrives.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Yeah I'm going to use a goat link (much easier to fit than rad cage). I'll post some pics when the frame arrives.
Goat link will not solve problem off too little capacity in Zee. This is entirely due to the length of the cage. Longer cage = more capacity. RADar will solve this problem on Zee. Goat link addresses issue of.maxing out the b screw to.clear a big cog.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I was planning on going down the same road but changed my mind with the imminent release of the 11 speed XT M8000 stuff.

I figured it will be cheaper to go upgrade, given I end up with spare cassette, mech and shifter to either sell or use elsewhere.

11 - 42T cassette $116
Shifter $65
Rear mech $108.50

Or get a 10 speed M786 mech new for $74, it will work fine with the 11 speed shifter.

So all up, between $255 and $290. $185 to $205 for a RadR cage and sprockets from OneUp, depending on if you are happy with free shipping or the Royal Mail option.

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
I was planning on going down the same road but changed my mind with the imminent release of the 11 speed XT M8000 stuff.

I figured it will be cheaper to go upgrade, given I end up with spare cassette, mech and shifter to either sell or use elsewhere.

11 - 42T cassette $116
Shifter $65
Rear mech $108.50

Or get a 10 speed M786 mech new for $74, it will work fine with the 11 speed shifter.

So all up, between $255 and $290. $185 to $205 for a RadR cage and sprockets from OneUp, depending on if you are happy with free shipping or the Royal Mail option.
Where from for the XT gear?

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I've been running an XT derailluer with the WT 42t cog for a while. Works fine except shifting is not as good as it once was. Bought the RadR cage to see if it would help, but then managed to break my derailluer before I had a chance to install it!

Anyway, I've got a Zee derailluer on the way now which I'll stick the RadR cage on. The One Up page says the cage was design specially for the Zee, so this combo should work.

Ideate

I've been running an XT derailluer with the WT 42t cog for a while. Works fine except shifting is not as good as it once was. Bought the RadR cage to see if it would help, but then managed to break my derailluer before I had a chance to install it!
I had a Rad cage on an XT running a 42t wolfy. Still wasn't great shifting. Put a Goat Link into the mix and it improved somewhat but I think it made more of a difference than the cage (my personal experience). Let us know how you go with the Zee :)

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I had a Rad cage on an XT running a 42t wolfy. Still wasn't great shifting. Put a Goat Link into the mix and it improved somewhat but I think it made more of a difference than the cage (my personal experience). Let us know how you go with the Zee :)
You can use the goat link and the rad cage at once? I thought it was one or the other?