42t Expanded Cog/Sprocket with a SLX cassette. Does it work?

asambell

Likes Dirt
I am thinking of upgrading my drivetrain to a 10x with the 42t expanded cog, but I have a SLX cassette. Each brand of expanded cog says that it's not compatible with a SLX, only with XT or XTR cassettes based on the fact that you cannot remove the 17t cog to allow the 42t cog. However, I was thinking of removing the 15t or 13t cog to allow the 42t cog. Is this do-able?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was looking into the same thing and came across these special instructions for the SLX Cassette http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/slx-1080

It looks like you need to chop up the cassette. I have not tried it myself as yet as I have another brand bitch cog and was going to get another cassette when this one wears.

asambell

Likes Dirt
Thank you. That's made it a bit clearer. I currently have a brand new SLX cassette, but feel it unnecessary to chop it up whilst it's new. Might try and find a secondhand XT or XTR cassette.

Might think about it a bit more.

stirk

Burner
I'm going through similar process and have bought an XT cassette as it will be an easier install. I plan to either sell or reuse the SLX cassette rather than hack it up, if you sell the SLX cassette there wouldn't be much difference in it, unless your arse is really tight.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thank you. That's made it a bit clearer. I currently have a brand new SLX cassette, but feel it unnecessary to chop it up whilst it's new. Might try and find a secondhand XT or XTR cassette.

Might think about it a bit more.
Sell the SLX, buy a spanker XT, fire on the One-Up... simples!