4WD Tyre Choice

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
dont bother with maxxis.

i used to have them on my old 4by (SWB daihatsu rocky.. not heavy.. or powerful) and it ripped the shit out of them..

off road they are great but wont last very long

scblack

Leucocholic
Cheers for the replies everyone, I'm going for the Pirelli's.

I have always kind of wanted Pirelli tyres since the Lamborghini Countach had Pirelli P7 tyres on the Tamiya model when I was a kid.:)

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suggest some BFG mud terrains. Pretty basic tyre but great for slippery climbs.
But if your into crawling through mud i would go for boggers on the rear and swampers on the front.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am an Area Manager for Sime Tyres in NSW. Ive been around the tyre game for 12 years.

Fact: Bob Jane TMarts bring in their OWN MAXXIS range.

FAct: The Bretheren own TYREMAX, the other MAXXIS importer in this country. And dont have to pay sales tax = ripoff!!!!

Fact: Coopers are the worst tyre EVER made. Tests have proven time and time again that they DO NOT STOP in the wet, sufficiently. And never last the klms that they claim.

Fact: I own a 4WD Pathfhinder

Fact: I currently use Pirelli Scorpion AT

Fact: The next tyre I will buy will be a BFGoodrich AT KO, best tyre on the market hands down.

Fact: Mickey Thompson are for big beared men in big 4WDs with really small dicks that wave in the wind while hanging out at those "Tough Truck" rallies.

Fact: You dont have to believe me but let me reassure you I know alot about tyres and I am NOT pushing my brand, but more my qualified opinion.

scblack

Leucocholic
Fact: I own a 4WD Pathfhinder

Fact: I currently use Pirelli Scorpion AT

Fact: The next tyre I will buy will be a BFGoodrich AT KO, best tyre on the market hands down.
So you would suggest the Pirelli is a good tyre to go for?

I will ring around about the BFGoodrich AT KO tomorrow - who sells them?

Hungry

Likes Dirt
if ya gonna get some maxxis tyres get some 37" Trepodors on 17" evan walker beadlock rims then attack the wheel arches with a 9 inch grinder :D

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I suggest some BFG mud terrains. Pretty basic tyre but great for slippery climbs.
But if your into crawling through mud i would go for boggers on the rear and swampers on the front.
Dude. Did you even BOTHER reading the thread? If you would care to recall scblack states on the first page that he is doing relativly little, if not any off road driving. Its for a family car which will see predominantly road use.

BFG ATs are great tyres, but if your doing little off road work, then frankly, a waste of pennies. You might get a little more life out of the Radial All Terrains but honestly, you would be better off going for the Long Trails or something similar. They are made esspecially for offroaders that rarely go offroad.

Fact: Mickey Thompson are for big beared men in big 4WDs with really small dicks that wave in the wind while hanging out at those "Tough Truck" rallies.
Mickey Thompson Dick Cepek FT-II All Terrains are up there with the Cooper ST and the BFG AT and I think, given the price, how long they actually last and how they stacked up against the Cooper and the BFG, if your after an AT, definatly check them out.

One tyre I am not a fan of and have had a bit of experience with is the Kelly Safari MSR. Anyone else used these? I found them to be weak as piss. Didnt last very long at all and were slipperly on loose gravel roads where many other tyres we have used previously shine.

scblack; keep in mind that I think many of the repliers here have meerly seen '4WD tyres' and hit reply with a host of irrelevant responces. I personally think you were on the right track going for the Pirelli's. While they will not give you as much grip off road as a BFGoodrich AT or whatever, they will last longer and provide better handling for the purpose that you initially intended.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Dude. Did you even BOTHER reading the thread? If you would care to recall scblack states on the first page that he is doing relativly little, if not any off road driving. Its for a family car which will see predominantly road use.
I simply ignore these childish responses. Why the f**k do people waste my and their space posting such dribble?

scblack; keep in mind that I think many of the repliers here have meerly seen '4WD tyres' and hit reply with a host of irrelevant responces. I personally think you were on the right track going for the Pirelli's. While they will not give you as much grip off road as a BFGoodrich AT or whatever, they will last longer and provide better handling for the purpose that you initially intended.
The Pirelli's are already booked to be fitted on Saturday, they do sound good - last year's Motor magazine Tyre of the Year. But I am still considering all decent responses, as I can simply cancel the order if I come across anything better, but I doubt I'll do much better.

Cheers Ango.:cool:

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will be very happy with the Pirelli choice. One of the best "do-it-all" tyres on the market.