4x at Sydney Olympic Park

4SHIZZLE

Likes Bikes
Alright, I've read this review, that review. Now time for me to have a say...For some reason a lot of riders out there think that BMXers don't have wheels!#@? All bikes have wheels, I've got 4 bikes, a 4X bike, a cross country bike, a 24 inch BMX race and a 20 inch jump bike. I don't know what to call myself because I love riding them all.
As for the BMX bagging.. look in your own back yard. Mich Hannah ex world champion BMXer, Jared Graves ex State Champion BMXer, Amiel Cavlier rides his BMX as much as his DH rig (his words). It's all skills, it don't matter what bike you got them on.
The 4x Race at SOPA was not a BMX fest. It was just the first time some of you guys had seen some of the best riders in the country. None of the so called BMXers had tried 4X before this day. Because of the location, this was their chance.

The final of elite had 2 x full suspension bikes (Rennie on Santa Cruz and Ryan J. on a Kona Howler), 1 x hardtail 26" with suspension forks and 9 speed rear cassette (Leigh Darrell) and 1 x 24" rigid, single speed, cruiser (Alex Lloyd). That tells me that this track didn't favour anyone. It only favoured the best riders. The only reason that the track was reasonably smooth was because this is a public facility. You try getting a 4X track built in the centre of Sydney, with more bureacrats than you can poke a stick at involved. Then come and speak to me about smooth.
Did anyone mention that Alex Lloyd, the young guy that won, was manualling the entire right side fourth straight at full pace. That is some serious skill. Did anyone mention that Leigh Darrell has been World #1 as a kid more times than anyone can remember. Ryan J was riding a Kona Howler with a cross country rear cassette, he borrowed 2 days prior. Nathan Rennie is a legend, he is pure unadulterated Mountainbiker, with skills to burn. But just because he was beaten this night does not mean the young guys he was racing can't ride the pants off any bike you give them. I know a lot of the BMXers are going to try the NSW national 4X rounds, lets see what they do there before we say the only reason they won was because it was a BMX track.

Note: Todd LYONS (BMX legend) was loved by the crowd for 2 x back flips) But still said he couldn't nail the inside lines even though he knew they were quicker. Alex Lloyd did all but one inside line on his cruiser, at full knots.
BARNESY (wheels are wheels, skills are skills, I love all my bikes)

P.S. I co-designed the track, and still couldn't nail the inside lines on my full suspension Cove Hooker. Probably says more about my riding skills? (lack of)

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've posted my views on this a number of times but it just struck me, although alex lloyd is one of my fav bmxer's to watch ride.......many of the bmx big guns with a mtb interest weren't even there. (madill, tiger, wade, fenwick etc)
it was only the mtber's that could hit those inside lines. both disciplines can display impressive skills. it seems that this emerging strain (mtx) requires a combination of both. viva la difference (pronounced with french accent. disregard spelling)

Last edited:

DYJK

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree that most people dont respect the fact that BMX is where it all started for most riders and is still going. Anyway all i can is that is was an awsome job the way that you designed the track! And very entertaining to watch all the people case the last table.

And may i also add how enchanted i was seeing that this actually turned out to be such an awsome night for all. Even the person who got hit in the head with the cork from Rennies bubbly.!

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sam hill won his first race on a bmx too, a state round in WA.

and he was also a young bmx racer....

dilemma

girl+bike
fatnold said:
many of the bmx big guns with a mtb interest weren't even there. (madill, tiger, wade, fenwick etc)
These guys were in NZ for the BMX World Cup that weekend.

Butch

Likes Bikes and Dirt
in the next year lets see a downhill track at homebush :) , theres an indoor soon to be opened theres a 4x track , but wheres the downhill, close but no cigar

Butch

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ona rampage said:
Considering there are no hills at Olympic park it may be a little difficult to get a DH track built.....
:D
haha they got movers make it :)

bmxbandit

Likes Bikes
[4shizzle, i totally agree with you that as long as it has 2 wheels its all good, more people need to get into that here, but none of the mtb guys at the race were never going to beat bmx guys out of the gate (bmx gate) and 99% of the time thats where its won, pure and simple, i know the bike skills bmxers have, take nothing away, but dont start saying stuff like this until theyve raced and consistantly beaten everyone.
Dont judge how they go at nsw 4x rounds, see how they go at nationals, nsw rounds will be easier for them to win than this event. wait till they race all the fastest guys.

And Fatnold, i just read in another thread about how the bmxers would kick all asses, i bet my bottom dollar that if Jarred Graves was there he would have kicked their asses, hes been pretty much in a class of his own as far as the mtb guys go for 4x, and id say would be the only guy that woud beat the bmxers out of the gate

wombat

Lives in a hole
4SHIZZLE said:
Alright, I've read this review, that review. Now time for me to have a say...For some reason a lot of riders out there think that BMXers don't have wheels!#@? All bikes have wheels, I've got 4 bikes, a 4X bike, a cross country bike, a 24 inch BMX race and a 20 inch jump bike. I don't know what to call myself because I love riding them all.
As for the BMX bagging.. look in your own back yard. Mich Hannah ex world champion BMXer, Jared Graves ex State Champion BMXer, Amiel Cavlier rides his BMX as much as his DH rig (his words). It's all skills, it don't matter what bike you got them on.
The 4x Race at SOPA was not a BMX fest. It was just the first time some of you guys had seen some of the best riders in the country. None of the so called BMXers had tried 4X before this day. Because of the location, this was their chance.

The final of elite had 2 x full suspension bikes (Rennie on Santa Cruz and Ryan J. on a Kona Howler), 1 x hardtail 26" with suspension forks and 9 speed rear cassette (Leigh Darrell) and 1 x 24" rigid, single speed, cruiser (Alex Lloyd). That tells me that this track didn't favour anyone. It only favoured the best riders. The only reason that the track was reasonably smooth was because this is a public facility. You try getting a 4X track built in the centre of Sydney, with more bureacrats than you can poke a stick at involved. Then come and speak to me about smooth.
Did anyone mention that Alex Lloyd, the young guy that won, was manualling the entire right side fourth straight at full pace. That is some serious skill. Did anyone mention that Leigh Darrell has been World #1 as a kid more times than anyone can remember. Ryan J was riding a Kona Howler with a cross country rear cassette, he borrowed 2 days prior. Nathan Rennie is a legend, he is pure unadulterated Mountainbiker, with skills to burn. But just because he was beaten this night does not mean the young guys he was racing can't ride the pants off any bike you give them. I know a lot of the BMXers are going to try the NSW national 4X rounds, lets see what they do there before we say the only reason they won was because it was a BMX track.

Note: Todd LYONS (BMX legend) was loved by the crowd for 2 x back flips) But still said he couldn't nail the inside lines even though he knew they were quicker. Alex Lloyd did all but one inside line on his cruiser, at full knots.
BARNESY (wheels are wheels, skills are skills, I love all my bikes)

P.S. I co-designed the track, and still couldn't nail the inside lines on my full suspension Cove Hooker. Probably says more about my riding skills? (lack of)
I was wondering when we'd see you on here.:)

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
now now Duff man take it easy! posting empty threats on a forum does not the tough guy make.
i for one was stoked to see the bmxers race, if the sydney track gets them into 4x all the better for us!

scblack

Leucocholic
Duff_Man said:
i just rekon that if you wana race mtnx ride a mtn bike and if u wont to race bmx ride a bmx, and dont come to a race with ur fukin gay ass attitude "oh cant wait to beat the mtn bikers". in my opinion go get fuked. Oh and then to make ur self even more of a fag, get up on stage and go "were bmx's and we loved it" you fukin homo. come to a dh race with ur bike skills or even maybe a real mtnx track and see how u go, cause in my opinion that track was a bmx track with inside corners, tassie was a real mtnx track.

p.s bring ur attitude again and you may never pedal a two wheeled machine ever again, well maybe ull be pushing ur fukin wheel chair.
Duff man, internet threats mean shit and make you look like a tool, and a complete loser.

If you're a good enough rider, then you'd be beating them. If you're not a good enough rider, then stiff shit - grow up and rant to those who care.

technoboy

Dirty Imports
Anrgy????

Duff_Man said:
i just rekon that if you wana race mtnx ride a mtn bike and if u wont to race bmx ride a bmx, and dont come to a race with ur fukin gay ass attitude "oh cant wait to beat the mtn bikers". in my opinion go get fuked. Oh and then to make ur self even more of a fag, get up on stage and go "were bmx's and we loved it" you fukin homo. come to a dh race with ur bike skills or even maybe a real mtnx track and see how u go, cause in my opinion that track was a bmx track with inside corners, tassie was a real mtnx track.

p.s bring ur attitude again and you may never pedal a two wheeled machine ever again, well maybe ull be pushing ur fukin wheel chair.
dude why the bad attitude?
if they wanna be like that let e'm and then take em out dont post crap on the internet cause then you look like a total nob!!!!!
p.s BMX's have lots of skill and if anything i respect them more than mountain bikers stop the bad mouthing and go ride your bike!!!!!!!

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
scblack said:
Duff man, internet threats mean shit and make you look like a tool, and a complete loser.

If you're a good enough rider, then you'd be beating them. If you're not a good enough rider, then stiff shit - grow up and rant to those who care.
Nar, his right though. The attitude with the bmxer's was appaulling. They were arguing with offical's over the front brake thing for a good half hour. seriously, if you don't wanna accept the rules we race by, dont come. They set a pretty bad example, but they were a few good and nice bmx guys. My opinion is that they shouldnt have been allowed to race in the first place as they took spots from dedicated MTB'ers.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Wattsy said:
Nar, his right though. The attitude with the bmxer's was appaulling. They were arguing with offical's over the front brake thing for a good half hour. seriously, if you don't wanna accept the rules we race by, dont come. They set a pretty bad example, but they were a few good and nice bmx guys. My opinion is that they shouldnt have been allowed to race in the first place as they took spots from dedicated MTB'ers.
Oh Fuck no. The more the merrier I say.

If they turn up, on any bike, thats one more rider for the sport. I just hate BMXers because they can gate, jump, manual and sprint better than i can, but it's a challenge to try and beat them. I mean, the best 4x racers are all ex BMX world champions, and Prokop still races (and owns) BMX.

The front brake ruling was stupid too- you're able to race DH with the one brake, why do you need 2 brakes for something like 4x where you really shouldn't be braking at all? I agree about the attitude though, they should have just stopped winging and followed the rules.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Wattsy said:
Possibly he is right, and maybe their attitude was appalling, but a post like his is just cheap talk.

I do agree with you though - they're the rules, if you don't like them, don't come. But this is probably the only MTX race so far in Australia, that has been over-subscribed, so allowing the bmx's in for numbers would normally fill the field.

entombed

membarrrr
The just needed a 8 foot step down into a rock garden, would have solved the problem for the mtb'rs complaining. For a Moutain Cross race it was amusing to see the officials brooming the berms :rolleyes: . Id like to see that at a DH Race :D :D

Butch

Likes Bikes and Dirt
entombed said:
The just needed a 8 foot step down into a rock garden, would have solved the problem for the mtb'rs complaining. For a Moutain Cross race it was amusing to see the officials brooming the berms :rolleyes: . Id like to see that at a DH Race :D :D

if ur lucky ill broom ur berms ;) , come to think of it the bmx's speeches at the podium were apualing i know i wont be entering in 4x till i get a different rig and dont have ppl laughing at me for having a go