4X in Ballarat, your help wanted!!

camday

Likes Dirt
At present, I have been in touch with the local council in regard to getting a 4X track built here in Ballarat, that can cater for both races and riders of varying abilities, which is similar to the Anglesea Bike Park.

About 2 years ago, we had Glen Jacobs come up and tour the town, and we were able to find some possible sites for this track, and the guy in charge of events was keen for this to get off the ground. He left his position at the council, so we were left having to chase our tails with the new guy, and as such, has now not gone any further.

Back on point, I met with him this week, in regard to our annual DH races, and I brought this up, which he was more than happy to take forward to Sport and Rec. I have been told to get some info together, in a package that he can put forward.

The information that I would love from riders/clubs who have had them built, is just a rough guide, so that I can send this through, plead our case, and hopefully get one off the ground.

• Amount of entrants per race event?
  • Tracks open to the public outside of race weekends?
  • Is the land close to residential areas?
  • Fully funded by council or club based funds went into project or club sponsors donated money
  • Petitions needed?

I was told that we should be getting into the council more often for funding/promotion for these projects. With Ballarat now holding the Australian road cycling Champs over the next 6 years, the don’t want to be seen as only funding road cycling, but making sure they cover all types of cycling in Ballarat.

If any clubs have some information, that I can use to forward on, that would be great

I plan on putting forward videos, photo’s etc, so if you have anything of value that could be used, that would be great

Cam

syko

Likes Dirt
To get some ideas probably best to get in touch with Ari (sorry if i spelt it wrong) from Trail Head Bike Co in Anglesea because he had a big input with helping build the 4x track down there from what i have heard.

Also what type of video's/photos were you after, were you looking for photo's of the track or something?

I went to a 4x race/fun day/ride day in Anglesea a little while ago and there were maybe around 50 or so people there at the peak of the day but most of the people were parents looking after their kids, in total for the racers i think there was about 10-15 at max i believe, but seeing as i have only been to one of these there will probably be other people out there with better knowledge of this kind of thing.

Hope some of that helps Cam.

krusty66

Likes Dirt
we had around 20 or more riders at wed night racing at anglesea over the whole summer.

There are loads of people that are keen for a 4x dual series in Vic. Yarra valley and Fat tyre flyers are worth contacting also

camday

Likes Dirt
Cheers lads.

I will certainly try and push for Black Hill to be a pro MTB area, which can have a XC loop, the DH tracks and finally a 4X track.

It will be a massive project, but is certainly achievable. With amount of coin the council has been throwing around for road cycling events, and rail trails, I'm sure they could send some this way, and the promotions guy sounds keen for this, so fingers crossed!!

syko

Likes Dirt
we had around 20 or more riders at wed night racing at anglesea over the whole summer.

There are loads of people that are keen for a 4x dual series in Vic. Yarra valley and Fat tyre flyers are worth contacting also
Hopefully there will be more riders next summer.

No worries Cam happy to help Ballarat's riding scene.