4x in Melbourne

prk722

Likes Bikes
Is there any 4x racing in Melbourne or surrounds?
I'm only beginning but have raced bmx before so won't be terrible
Thanks

rsclio

Likes Dirt
We haven't run 4X at Po for a long time
Although we pushed it a few years ago on here we just did not get enough takers to make it
I will ocassionally take my Chase down to race the BMX bikes
If you turn up you won't be turned away but you will most likely be racing a 26" bike in a bmx race
Cheers

prk722

Likes Bikes
Although we pushed it a few years ago on here we just did not get enough takers to make it
If you turn up you won't be turned away but you will most likely be racing a 26" bike in a bmx race
Cheers
hey thanks for the replies
and dont mean to sound like a complete noob, but i probably will
is racing a 26'' bike in bmx a good thing or bad?

thanks

redbruce

Eats Squid
hey thanks for the replies
and dont mean to sound like a complete noob, but i probably will
is racing a 26'' bike in bmx a good thing or bad?

thanks
You will end up in a cruiser (24") class. They are lighter and more nimble than a 26 so you would be at a disadvantage bike wise.

However the most important part is the engine - you.

What Mike didn't say is that at PO divisions are based on performance, not age.

That means you will be put into a division with people of similar standard (irrespective of bike) so you will still be in amongst it racing wise (might take a few races to get correctly seeded).

prk722

Likes Bikes
You will end up in a cruiser (24") class. They are lighter and more nimble than a 26 so you would be at a disadvantage bike wise.

However the most important part is the engine - you.

What Mike didn't say is that at PO divisions are based on performance, not age.

That means you will be put into a division with people of similar standard (irrespective of bike) so you will still be in amongst it racing wise (might take a few races to get correctly seeded).

Cool thanks a lot for the help ill try and get down one day

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Cheers
Hey, I'm thinking of coming down with my bike, it's a short travel dual suspension, that's allowed to race correct?

TOMRULES

Likes Dirt
We have a Park Orchards facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/65225823713/
Chuck a post up if you're gonna bring your mtb down to race and a few other people will probably bring theirs down too. We have one member who rides a hardtail every weekend, so there'll always be someone to ride against. Failing that, you'll probably get put in a class with the 20' riders, depending on how good you are.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
I may bring a dually down too in the next few weeks instead of the HT
Not that I think it will help at all

Hi Tom

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
I may bring a dually down too in the next few weeks instead of the HT
Not that I think it will help at all

Hi Tom
I'll bring my mate who has a 26inch hardtail, not sure when though as it is a bit of a hike from Preston and we can't drive

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone suggested that they run a 4x or dual slalom mini series along with vic series?
I was talking to a few others about it. The amount of DH riders that would hit up a 4X/Dual slalom race on sat night under lights would be pretty big, considering we all just end up around town on the bikes anyway.
If i was racing, i sure as hell wouldn't miss a mini event on a sat night like 4x!

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Has anyone suggested that they run a 4x or dual slalom mini series along with vic series?
I was talking to a few others about it. The amount of DH riders that would hit up a 4X/Dual slalom race on sat night under lights would be pretty big, considering we all just end up around town on the bikes anyway.
If i was racing, i sure as hell wouldn't miss a mini event on a sat night like 4x!
I would honestly stop working Saturdays and stop seeing friends to go to this. Who needs money and friends when you can ride. Apart from needing money to buy the bike, food, electricity, water

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having the old eildon 4x track up and running would be rad, baccas marsh and long gully dual slamon.

I also remember rob roy track back in the day.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
even the Beauty 4X track. would be rowdy as!
Vic series state champs, presentation day and 4X state champs.

What better race weekend could you attend?!?!?!?!?

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
even the beauty 4x track. Would be rowdy as!
Vic series state champs, presentation day and 4x state champs.

What better race weekend could you attend?!?!?!?!?
wait what there's actual 4x tracks in victoria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Checked out the old trafalgar track a couple of months ago
Pretty cool need about 1/2 a days work to clean it up but the end is messed up with a new building in the way

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Traf & Bacchus were great fun. Eildon was pretty good too, but just couldn't beat Traf! 4x back in Vic would be a great thing!

aero165

Likes Dirt
Myself and a few friends are thinking of racing our hardtails at the Frankston BMX track soon. We'd be really keen for anything 4x racing. How do we get a heads up to any events?

Koper25

Likes Dirt
I'd be down for messing around with some 4X racing, even fixing/building tracks. Have car, will travel.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Myself and a few friends are thinking of racing our hardtails at the Frankston BMX track soon. We'd be really keen for anything 4x racing. How do we get a heads up to any events?
http://frankston.bmxa.com.au/bmx/home.asp?a=home&schID=3&oID=104&oName=Frankston+BMX+Club

Hartails generally fall within the the BMX rules as "Cruiser" class.

Several BMX clubs such as Park Orchards have attempted to cater for 4X riders with their own division but lack of numbers usually relegates the odd one that turns up into the Cruiser class.

If you are serious, get the numbers together through your network and approach your local BMX club.

Frankston clubbies are held on Wednesday nights. They have lights.

Last edited: