4X no longer a part of the world cup circuit...

Shredden

Knows his goats
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/UCI-pulls-4X-from-World-Cup-Circuit.html

So, the UCI has pulled 4X from its world cup schedule. It will still be part of the world champs though.

"Following the publication of the 2012 Mountain Bike calendar, the UCI confirms that Four-cross events will form part of the programme of the 2012 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships to be held in Leogang, Austria.

However, due to the high costs of constructing tracks and their impact on the environment, the UCI has decided to withdraw this speciality from the programme of events at UCI Mountain Bike World Cups from next season."

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bullshit! Fucking environmental hippies!

Rumour of Graves (with a ponytail) switching to DH full time maybe true then? :p

Staunch

Eats Squid
Not a rumour, he actually is switching, maybe he foresaw this?

All I'm going to say it's about time MTBers formed their own league/whatever, the UCI have done nothing good at all for MTB recently, nor I doubt they ever will going by this.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Not a rumour, he actually is switching, maybe he foresaw this?

All I'm going to say it's about time MTBers formed their own league/whatever, the UCI have done nothing good at all for MTB recently, nor I doubt they ever will going by this.
Wouldn't he be focusing on BMX at the Olympics next year?

scblack

Leucocholic
Jared Graves has stated for the whole season this is his last year of focussing on 4X. There was an interview with him on SBS Cycling Central MONTHS ago that he is planning on this change. His training will be very different for next year, and will be doing downhill at World Cups.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
to be fair 4x was always an experiment to try and make the gravity side of the sport more spectator and TV friendly. The experiment failed as the cost and complications of making a track interesting and not just an exersize in getting a good gate start outweighed the benefits.

If Graves hadn't been dominating over the last couple of years would anyone here even bother watching?
It's the only thing that held my interest

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bring dual slalom back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Four cross has been as dull as watching dirt jumping, the change isn't too bad in my eyes. The tracks have been more BMX than MTB of late so it'd be nice if it came back down the track with some downhill related obstacles and guys racing super D style.

faz

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't he be focusing on BMX at the Olympics next year?
I don't think so, he didn't ride the test event in London and there is no indication he will attempt to qualify for selection.

He mentioned in one of the podcasts from Yeti he had unfinished business in downhill and would be concentrating on that from now on.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Should be replaced with a world cup series for biggest skiddies ... no dabbing allowed and there has to be corners and shizz ... the Course MC starts every run with " ... Skid that you Mo Pho"

Run in has to be at least this long
[video=youtube;gYrd5qwzPrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYrd5qwzPrA[/video]

akashra

Eats Squid
Unfortunate, but I understand the decision and I hadn't really considered it in terms of how the UCI have phrased their rationale.

I wonder if this will make it difficult for venues though if they're needing to build a 4X track to be successful in a world championships bid when it may not get used for any other events at that level?

It will be interesting to see how the UCI continue with XCE given this decision, as XCE is effectively just a cross-country version of 4X.

floody

Wheel size expert
Bring dual slalom back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Four cross has been as dull as watching dirt jumping, the change isn't too bad in my eyes. The tracks have been more BMX than MTB of late so it'd be nice if it came back down the track with some downhill related obstacles and guys racing super D style.
I disagree. DS is boring as batshit for everyone except the two riders, its a PITA to get course parity and if you're including 'DH Obstacles' no easier to build than a 4X course. Trying to artificially create DH style obstacles is probably one of the contributing reasons to canning it, and they rarely improve the racing anyway.

Sad to see it happen. Next question is, why even bother with it at world champs level then? So all the worldwide national champions can get together once a year to battle it out? Absurd.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I disagree. DS is boring as batshit for everyone except the two riders, its a PITA to get course parity

More boring than 4x where best gate start wins and every one else just ride single file behind hoping they make a mistake? I doubt it, but it is far better fun to ride and the best rider wins (Yeah, sure there will always be a slightly fast lane but if the highest qualifier picks the lane so what),

A still I reckon we need to bring back dual eliminator in a top 20 xc v 20 dh for ultimate bragging right scenario.

Last edited:

Cronar

Likes Dirt
If I remember correctly they dumped Dual for 4X back in the day because Dual wasn't drawing crowds. It might be great for us riders to watch but for non riders it's probably worse that 4X.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If I remember correctly they dumped Dual for 4X back in the day because Dual wasn't drawing crowds. It might be great for us riders to watch but for non riders it's probably worse that 4X.
Yep, too true. I remember the stink tha(financially anyway) has t created but in turn the buzz it created for four cross. I guess the shine has worn off and now it is to be the once a year glory which to me is kind of awesome!
What things could be done to spice up four cross? Steeper? Faster? Bigger jumps? Lines that cross each other? Alligator pits?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In many respects I doubt the dropping of 4X is a major loss to competitive mountain biking. Over the years there have been many attempts to get a 3rd big event to XC and DH at World Cup events and really none have been a success, and what’s wrong with two main disciplines anyway?

TV coverage etc of XC and DH events is now at a stage where a spectator friendly event is just not required as such either.

As others have said 4X is largely a dull disappointment. In fact I’d say watching under 10s BMX has far more thrills, spills, passing, suspense and drama than any 4X race I’ve ever watched so maybe we should promote them to World Cup status at mountain bike events...

scblack

Leucocholic
Yep, too true. I remember the stink tha(financially anyway) has t created but in turn the buzz it created for four cross. I guess the shine has worn off and now it is to be the once a year glory which to me is kind of awesome!
What things could be done to spice up four cross? Steeper? Faster? Bigger jumps? Lines that cross each other? Alligator pits?
Make it a gate of 6 riders, or even 8. Then the single guy taking a holeshot from the gate and winning the race from there is somewhat less likely.

More riders = more action = more overtaking = more spills = closer racing = Better viewing.

floody

Wheel size expert
4X is a good format, but clearly a bit restricted to fairly permanent courses if you want to keep costs down.
One assumes its not the death knell for national competitions or 'gated' racing in general though.