4X Parts Thread.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be keeping with the 9speed, and selecting a healthy 4 of them, bigger chain and all yo!
Well, I did mention it before, kinda, but I will be staying with 9 speed aswell, the problem that we face though is by 2012 it looks like they will only be producing the lower models in 9 speed or even no models at all.

I think companies should look into producing a 4X set of gearing designed specifically for, well, 4x!

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'm gonna agree there. First company to bring out a 4-5 speed gearing system wins in my books. There was talk of fsa bringing out something like that a few years back, but it seemed nothing ever eventuated. Personally if you could still buy the older 8 speed stuff id be rocking that, stronger chain again, and the old non 2 way shimano shifters all the way.

Also... i hoping not all the high end cassettes go one piece now too like the sram xx stuff, cause that would be a pain in the ass to try and source individual rings for the custom cassettes that alot of us round here run...

haha, only other option is for some clever sort to take on those big companies and bring out an all Australian 4/5 speed setup with sweet chainline options...

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha, only other option is for some clever sort to take on those big companies and bring out an all Australian 4/5 speed setup with sweet chainline options...
That sets a challenge for people!

Just thinking about it then:

- For small numbers a cassette would be easy enough to to modify to run 4/5 speed set up. The same applies for chains I guess, just use existing 6/7/8 speed chains...

- Gravey has a modified saint shifter to pair with his XTR derailleur which ran 4 speed. You could modify existing products somehow to do this permanently I figure (Longer H & L screws possibly?)

If you were to go all out and design, machine and produce it all.... Well that's another story...

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That's my old setup, a 5 speed, and that bottom cog is just a spacer to stop flex. Just some longer h/l screws off an older derailluer put straight into my dura ace. Its running off a 2 way saint shifter and it works a treat. But yes it does take some stuffing around to get the h/l positioning perfect for racing, but well worth it in my opinion for the quality chainline. I'll get some updated pics when i can of the setup im running now. Its pretty much just a more polished version of the above.

But yeah, something like that, that comes like that, made to work like that would be wonderful!

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What were the ratios for that? They don't look very close?
Id want to be running a road style cassette with that so shifting is uber smoooooooth.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What were the ratios for that? They don't look very close?
Id want to be running a road style cassette with that so shifting is uber smoooooooth.
In that setup its a road cassette 23,21,19,17,15. Shimano tiagra i think. Shifting is smooth, and you can change down under almost full load.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow! Closer then I thought! That's similar to what I would be running, although I think I would go one tooth down from each of those..

I'd look at 19, 17, 16, 14,12 or something around those.

An ideal 9 speed cassette for me at least would be

Yep, 1 tooth difference! Ultra smooth shifting!

floody

Wheel size expert

11-21 Dura-Ace is 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21 If I remember right. I mostly used 16 and 15 with a 36t ring and they end up dead in the middle, great chainline, super sharp shifts, no customising.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
11-21 Dura-Ace is 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21 If I remember right. I mostly used 16 and 15 with a 36t ring and they end up dead in the middle, great chainline, super sharp shifts, no customising.
Yeah thats spot on floody. Only reason to go custom is to scale it all up a bit so you can rock a 38 front, and larger gears a the back for more chain on cassette/chainring/leverage action... ala track bikes.

k_d

Likes Dirt
That sets a challenge for people!

Just thinking about it then:

- For small numbers a cassette would be easy enough to to modify to run 4/5 speed set up. The same applies for chains I guess, just use existing 6/7/8 speed chains...

- Gravey has a modified saint shifter to pair with his XTR derailleur which ran 4 speed. You could modify existing products somehow to do this permanently I figure (Longer H & L screws possibly?)

If you were to go all out and design, machine and produce it all.... Well that's another story...
You can easily use the longer h/l screws, but at the end of the day the shifter still has 8/9 clicks. I might look at modding a x7 shifter for my P2 so its only 4 speed.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I'm going to have a shot on my 2010 XO derailleur on running 4 speed (12,13,14,15 and maybe 16 if I decide to go 5 if it doesn't work!).

I stole longer limit screws off my XT derailleur, and they are 2 or 3 mm longer (which is pretty big). Pretty much all I have to do is adjust them so they don't slip off either end of the cassette right? The shifter will have empty clicks but it should still be all good, right?

EDIT: k_d - any tips tutorials on how to modify the shifter? Tell me at the track on friday :)

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to be doing a 6spd set-up on my new bike. Only difference is that it's a street mtb and the spacers will be at the bottom so I shift into the spacers and effectively have a freecoaster set-up.

Does anyone make 9spd roadie cassettes or am I going to have to chop up a 10spd one and run a 10 spd chain? Or could I chop a 10spd cassette and run a 9 spd chain so I have a a little more strength in the chain which is needed for street?

I'll be running a saint derraileur with a chopped up and modified deore shifter.. Probably end up getting a XTR shifter. Does anyone make a 30t single ring specific chainring? Otherwise I'll be running a E-13 ring, 105 cassette and XT chain.

AAANNNDDD, could I run a cassette that would go back up in ratios? So 23-19-16-14-12-15. 30-15 is my ideal street riding gear and I could shift onto the spacers with ease.. But it might be a little difficult to set up.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can just get like a standard 9 speed ultegra cassette. A 12-25 would be pretty close to what you want, drop a few cogs, and then just space the rest with alloy/steel cassette spacers, or something like these guys mate http://velosolo.com/shopsingle.html
Its all pretty simple, and then just adjust your derail. accordingly.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can just get like a standard 9 speed ultegra cassette. A 12-25 would be pretty close to what you want, drop a few cogs, and then just space the rest with alloy/steel cassette spacers, or something like these guys mate http://velosolo.com/shopsingle.html
Its all pretty simple, and then just adjust your derail. accordingly.
It's not the spacing i'm troubling with.. Can I go large cogs to small cogs and back up to a larger one on the cassette?

I'll give it a crack anyway, see how it runs, I'll probably convert back to single speed after a while anyway.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think you can. Well that said, you could, but it wouldn't be able to be tuned properly and it is fairly pointless. It's going to be smoother to just run it like -

17,16,15, Spacer,13, 12

or

17,16,15,14,13,12, Spacer

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, for that kind of thing you have to run your spacers/free gear at the end or your cassette. Generally they run it off like a 12t to spacer, and then just run the right front chainring according to how heavy they want the gearing. Mid cassette spacings wont work properly in theory.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow! Closer then I thought! That's similar to what I would be running, although I think I would go one tooth down from each of those..

I'd look at 19, 17, 16, 14,12 or something around those.

I remembered this post while looking at this website (scroll down to titanium cogsets). 11-19 titanium 9 spd cassette. 245 USD though!

My bike is coming along nicely. I'll post some pics when daylight comes round, but it looks like it'll go fast :cool:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
which clipless pedals would you guys reccommend blah blah etc etc

nevermind, i got impatient and ordered a pair of m540's, hopefuly thats what everyone was going to reccommend me with anyway :p

Last edited:

Fraz

Likes Dirt
I got myself some SPD's and have been using them for a week now. My only concern with them is where i should be positioning the cleats on my shoes. With the 20mm's or so of movement on the shoes, where should i be positioning my cleats for 4x? Is it personal preference, advantages/ disadvantages?