4X Parts Thread.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
XC on a 4X bike is heaps of fun! They might not climb as well as xc bikes, but they still climb alright. If you have a long seatpost that you can put on for xc duties they'll go fine. And because the bikes built to corner/descend they're a lot more fun for the fast flat trails/downhills.

And at the end of the day paker.. it doesn't seem like your competing at any sort of high level. It's about what's fun, not what the pro set-ups are, 4x bikes make some of the best do-it-all bikes.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And at the end of the day paker.. it doesn't seem like your competing at any sort of high level. It's about what's fun, not what the pro set-ups are, 4x bikes make some of the best do-it-all bikes.
What I was thinking right there El Capitan g-fish! I was always in this mindset and I really do feel uncomfortable on any other type of bike - I just want to jump around I don't think a XC bike will put up with much of that! My other option is to get a Super4 from Commencal or trance/anthem!

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I was thinking right there El Capitan g-fish! I was always in this mindset and I really do feel uncomfortable on any other type of bike - I just want to jump around I don't think a XC bike will put up with much of that! My other option is to get a Super4 from Commencal or trance/anthem!
SUPER 4!!!!! I have to say go the super 4, they're the ultimate! and super duper Pimp

StInKy LoVeR

Likes Dirt
hey guys,
so im running a 5 speed casset on my hope pro 2 single speed wheels. I'm running a short saint mech and saint shifter, got the gears all set up running well but the only thing is when I get to the heighest gear the shifter can still go further. How do I change this? is it the L screw? Or should I look into a 5 speed shifter or something.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys,
so im running a 5 speed casset on my hope pro 2 single speed wheels. I'm running a short saint mech and saint shifter, got the gears all set up running well but the only thing is when I get to the heighest gear the shifter can still go further. How do I change this? is it the L screw? Or should I look into a 5 speed shifter or something.
yer it would be the srew on the left. i highly doubt it would have enough movement to cut out 3-4 gears.
5 spd shifter would be your best bet

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO, if you want to jump around go for a 4x dually. However a slightly smaller sized trance would go pretty hard, i've ridden some hardcore oriented trances, they go alright. Super4 and anthems are getting a bit long i think. Though i haven't ridden a super4 and i haven't ridden an anthem in balls out aggression.

How much rise should I be running for a stem and how long should it be? (approximately)
Rise is presonal preference but usually no more than +/- 10 degrees. Much the same with stem. But almost everyone uses a 50mm stem. Definitely no more than 70 and you can't get anything shorter than 35. It really depends on you though.

And, does anyone make a decent 5 speed shifter.. I didn't think anyone did.

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never seen a 5 speed shifter - Just go to a speciality nut and bolt shop with one of your limit screws and get a longer one! Works for me on my X0 running 5 speed!

floody

Wheel size expert
What are the chances of overshifting off a narrowed cassette in a pressure situation anyway?

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahyes... then the answer is high to really high. I found my 105 rear derail had long enough screws from the get go, but the dura ace needed some to be sourced that were long enough. I ended up getting them from a real old acera x derail i had laying around circa 1998ish?

As for limiting the shifter, i've been trying to find out officially how to do this for a while. I came to the conclusion that you will need to get a new ratchet plate made up in the case of most shifters, with less notches in it. I've yet to test this theory yet though.

camtb

Likes Dirt
So, I've been riding a lot of 4X and a bit of hardtail dh lately (both on the same bike) and have decided my bike needs some upgrades, I have a new frame coming and some wheels soon too, looking for suggestions on changes. Spec list is below

Frame:Norco Sasquatch-Soon to be STP or Avanti Derelict
Fork:Manitou Gold Label, not too sure on changing, they feel good, but weigh 2.4kgs
Bars+Stem:Answer DJ Stem Answer DH bars (can't change these)
Cranks:Hussefelt-Looking at some funn bmx race cranks
Chainguide:Da bomb recoil-Havn't had any troubles, not too much weight to be saved so I probably wont worry about changing.
Derailer+Shifter:Sram X7
Cassette:Shimano Roadie 11-21
Brakes:Hayes Nine
Seat:Macmahone Kane
Tyres+Tubes:Arrow Racing Blitz with Kenda Superlights
Wheels:Ditchwitch, Macmahones on the way soon hopefully
Pedals:Answer Fall Line DH
Grips:Answer Fall Line

Happy with the way it feels, main goal is just weight savings, obviously the cheaper the better.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame:Norco Sasquatch-Soon to be STP or Avanti Derelict defintly stp
Fork:Manitou Gold Label, not too sure on changing, they feel good, but weigh 2.4kgs pikes?
Cranks:Hussefelt-Looking at some funn bmx race cranks i wouldent get bmx cranks on a 4x.dh bike, saints, holzfellers
Chainguide:Da bomb recoil-Havn't had any troubles, not too much weight to be saved so I probably wont worry about changing. e13 lg1+
Derailer+Shifter:Sram X7 x9 or saint
Cassette:Shimano Roadie 11-21 maybe a moded 4-5spd
Brakes:Hayes Nine strokers, exfilrs
Seat:Macmahone Kane if you want light get a i-fly/i-beam
Tyres+Tubes:Arrow Racing Blitz with Kenda Superlights
Wheels:Ditchwitch, Macmahones on the way soon hopefully
Pedals:Answer Fall Line DH if mostly 4x probabley clipless?
Grips:Answer Fall Line odis
better.
10charecter

camtb

Likes Dirt
I was thinking the stp, but I've got the derelict sitting in my shed at the moment, it weighs 2.0 so slightly lighter than an stp and rides about the same, I'm gonna buy the stp off a mate and see which ones better..

Why wouldn't you go bmx cranks?

Im pretty keen on getting some strokers, thinking the new primes look pretty nice!
I run clipless most times and have shimano's for that, I can't change to odi's due to sponsorship..

k_d

Likes Dirt
ahyes... then the answer is high to really high. I found my 105 rear derail had long enough screws from the get go, but the dura ace needed some to be sourced that were long enough. I ended up getting them from a real old acera x derail i had laying around circa 1998ish?

As for limiting the shifter, i've been trying to find out officially how to do this for a while. I came to the conclusion that you will need to get a new ratchet plate made up in the case of most shifters, with less notches in it. I've yet to test this theory yet though.
Surely you could just modify the original ratchet plate?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame:Norco Sasquatch-Soon to be STP or Avanti Derelict Unless you have the frame already, id be going with something more racey
Fork:Manitou Gold Label, not too sure on changing, they feel good, but weigh 2.4kgs foxf100 15mm, Pikes, Marzocchi 4x etc
Cranks:Hussefelt-Looking at some funn bmx race cranks SLX cranks, cheap, strong, perfect
Chainguidea bomb recoil-Havn't had any troubles, not too much weight to be saved so I probably wont worry about changing. Others like E13, shaman, mozart etc are up to over 150g+ lighter.. but if total light weight isnt an issue i wouldnt bother
Derailer+Shifter:Sram X7 Something that shifts well and has high tension. (XO or Saint would be my pick, or X9 if on a budget)
Cassette:Shimano Roadie 11-21 perfect, but check regularly for your hubs cassette splines getting eaten away if you use the one gear all the time
Brakes:Hayes Nine elixir r’s are perfect. stop way better and are light. 160mm rotors are fine
Seat:Macmahone Kane
Tyres+Tubes:Arrow Racing Blitz with Kenda Superlights nice choice!
Wheelsitchwitch, Macmahones on the way soon hopefully
Pedals:Answer Fall Line DH
Grips:Answer Fall Line

I have a top end frame, elixir r brakes all going cheap too if your interested

Last edited:

Chamakazae

Likes Bikes
I'm considering a new DJ/4X bike. I would mainly use it for DJ, 4X, and street, so I'm thinking of a steel frame. Maybe switch it to singlespeed if I decide to do street/park. I've fallen in love with the Tonic Howie R/T (Tonic Fabrication) and I rather want to build a bike up like that.

Here's the bits n pieces I'm considering:

Frame: Last Rufus, white
Fork: RS Pike 426 coil U-turn, painted white (can't change this, I already got a great deal on one)
Cranks: SLX Double 170mm, with bashring/granny ring removed
Chainguide: E-Thirteen LS1 HT
Rims: NS Trailmaster 32h
Hubs: Nukeproof Generator, 20mm/QR 135mm
Spokes: DT Competition, black
Tyres: Maxxis Minion 2.35 60a / Kenda Small Block 8 2.35
Tubes: Maxxis Freeride? Great tubes but a tad heavy in my experience
Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra shortcage (or SLX shadow med cage?)
Cassette: Tiagra 12-25
Shifter: Deore M590
Shift Cables: Goodridge outer/Steel inner/RocknRoll Cablemagic
Brakes: Avid Elixir R, 185/160mm
Pedals: Odyssey Plastic PC. I'm not a hard rider, my ones so far have lasted 6 months and are still going strong. I don't like clip-ins. They're cheap, light, and don't eat shins.
Headset: Nukeproof Warhead ST (Last recommends minimum 20mm insertion depth)
Bars: NS Terra 31.8
Stem: NS Quark Pro, carbon spacers if needed.
Saddle/Seatpost: BSD Wing Thing / 30mm pivotal seatpost
Grips: ODI Ruffian MX

I'd prefer to stick with a Shimano drivetrain, not a fan of Sram shifting. I wouldnt mind changing the chaining to 32t (cranks come with 36t).

Trying to keep it light, to make pedalling/tricks easier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Last edited: