4X Training Thread.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Righto you lot, we have a Bikes and a Parts thread, but what about a training thread specific for 4X?

Post up your Nutrition, Fitness and Training techniques here!

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK, so ive been looking into a few different things in terms of trainning lately. I understand that weights and sprints are important parts of trainning but what about other things? I've come across plyometrics, which i'd sort of known about for a while but never known more then the name. What sort of effects does it have on the body?(im not talking about it will make you faster, i mean what systems it effects and does it have any long term health factors can i screw myself up doing this sort of thing) Does anyone else on hear use them? if so how effective are they?

Also, what sort of trainning does everyone else do? are they really motivated or are do you all just rock up to races and ride?
Also how many of you use BMX coaches?

Also props on the ceation of this thread.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
2nd that, props to parker on this thread, i have been researching this heaps lately, mostly reading bmx racing stuff.

i read this massive article written by some pro bmx racer.
he said that if you're racing bmx/4x, the best possible training you can do is to ride your 4x bike at as many different tracks as you can, wearing most of the gear you'd wear when you race (as poser-ish as that may sound).

some people reccomend swimming, running, zumba! (lololol), but none of these can compare to riding your race bike on race tracks. Swimming etc are great of course, but doing that is like watching tv to get better at reading.
Also, make sure you practice riding the ENTIRE track. re-doing tricky jumps etc is great, but it takes a lot of energy to race an entire track, so it's important that you do as many complete laps as you can at full power.

another example that most people on here can relate to - it's like trying to get your best lap time in a certain car on Need for Speed, practicing in another car or on another track wont help anywhere near as much as trying on the same track.

Anyway in terms of strength i've read in a few places that the best thing you can do is squats, but rather than just lifting the dead weight, try to burst as you stand up, but lower the weight slowly.
this helps to build up that burst you need to get a good gate.

the only other thing i can reccommend is practicing your 1 handers, pushing another rider mid-air is the best way to slow them down.

anyway pretty keen to hear what else you guys reccommend.

Barspin Imports

Likes Dirt
Ever done 20kms+ on your 4X or Street bike? - Pedalling out of the saddle the whole way! It will give you a different perspective on strength and stamina!

krusty66

Likes Dirt
squats with heavy weights and stair jumps. Stand at base of stairs and jump up as high as you can and do 3 sets of 12. This increases explosive power

Brodie10

Likes Bikes
As well as the obvious sprint and strenght training, often CORE STRENGTH is overlooked. Stuff like yoga and pilates will get you more balanced and able to use your whole body to manouver and control the bike, especially for gate starts you will notice the difference after a few good 1 hour yoga sessions a week. sounds lame but try it.

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
core training, try to keep your core mostly rigid and resist bending and hurting your back. bend from your hips. posture Is also a biggy, once you have a stronger and more resistant core your posture should get better.

squats with weights or using a leg press will help.

also make sure your as flexible as possible in the legs

push ups, and make sure you build the muscles in you back to counteract your pecks by lifting weights in the opposite way to a bench press.. ie laying face down on a bench.

do sprints on your bike regularly and do a bit of endurance training like tempo rides ie ride at 80-90% for 15-20 minutes without sitting down.

work on your forearms to make sure you don't get arm pump or tired muscles.. Ie rubber bands around fingers and opening/closing fist. and opposite squeezing a ball... do all this until you can't do any more... work on it and getting more each time.

shoulder strength. ie lifting weights

running will help with your Cardio endurance, witch is a must for downhill

sprinting up stairs will help with eplosive pedaling power

riding up steep hills in a LOW cadence gear will help build the specific muscles you use for pedaling.

all this This will improve getting less tired during a sprint, 4cross or downhill run. its up to you to ride the bike regularly to gain bike handling skill and technique

Last edited:

Brodie10

Likes Bikes
XC good training?

Ok so im pretty much about to sell my XC bike so i can use the money to pimp my 4x machine...however, just wondering if XC really is good training for 4x? Like leg power or tech skills?

camtb

Likes Dirt
XC won't really help you in any way, completely different type of fitness, 4X is a lot more sprinting and XC is just a relatively slow spin, 4X is more about explosive power.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
XC won't really help you in any way, completely different type of fitness, 4X is a lot more sprinting and XC is just a relatively slow spin, 4X is more about explosive power.
4x uses the anerobic energy system and xc uses the aerobic system(for the most part anyway). This means that 4x uses an energy system that doesnt need the presence oxygen to breakdown energy it uses a substance found in the body called phosphocreatine. This will only last for up to 10 seconds, depending on a whole range of factors. Your body will then go into the alactacid system or lactic acid system. This system actually weilds more energy then the ATP-PC(first part of system that i mentioned) but has the down side of your legs "burning" due to the production of lactic acid. So your xc bike is kind of pointless in trainning for 4x.
However a good aerbic base will help you resythesise the phosphocreatine after maximal excercise, so dont completly forget about doing aerboic trainning, but just dont make it one of your main focuses.
The excercise that you should be focusing on are thoose that lift your anerobic thresholds. In essence that means do excercises that are short ad sharp. Meanning your should be doing sprints that get your through the ATP-PC system and into the lactic acid system. You'll find that your threshold to the burning sensation of the lactic acid will slowly decrease with the more you do.
OH and just a note, you can't actually increase the amount of phosphocreatine in your body, the powders etc will simply help the body resythesis quicker.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride the local xc loops, but really attack the climbs, and then kinda chill on the way down. You want to work the explosive full on power, and the pitch of the climb will work your legs, and lungs. Just make sure your not pacing yourself like a true xc rider, go all out, then recover (even stop for a rest if need be, like the gap in between motos), then all out and repeat till your loop is complete. Not every trail center is good for this though, but in Gap creek in brissy, me and some mates have got a pretty brutal little loop figured out that is great for the sprint training, as well as a bit of bike handling thrown in.

Another thing is grass sprints, the bmx guys should be familiar with these, and they bring nothing but the pain.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
like the idea of those grass sprints, might do some out the front tomorrow :)

whats the go for a better snap out the gate, ive started doing squat jumps for some explosion, any other suggestions?

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt

whats the go for a better snap out the gate, ive started doing squat jumps for some explosion, any other suggestions?
i know it will sound very obvious but, go do gates. The best way you will improve your timming is to do as many gates as you posibly can. You will find that that in conjuction with doing speed work, will improve your gates. when i say speed work i mean focusing on your fast twitch muscles by doing short sharp excercises that invlove high leg speed.

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will Spin bikes work for 4X? I'm looking at getting one for genral fitness, but want to get more into 4X like joining local BMX track etc. But I would like to know if i could use the spinbike in a way for training, like maybe heavy gear sprinting. Anyone do this?
Tom.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will Spin bikes work for 4X? I'm looking at getting one for genral fitness, but want to get more into 4X like joining local BMX track etc. But I would like to know if i could use the spinbike in a way for training, like maybe heavy gear sprinting. Anyone do this?
Tom.
Yeah, spin bikes with at any candience probably not even heavy is a great way to train for 4x and for general fitness. ive seen and heard of alot of the bmx coaches using them as a trainning tool instead of going out on the bike to do sprints.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not sure if they're still around, but back in the day some of my mates had knocked up single lane gates made of a platform on a decline and gate piece, dropped by a push mechanism (operated by a separate person) not sure if there's still many around, but definately used to help my bmx training!