4x4 pickups-what to buy?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ours is a turbo model. We actually traded in a newish Subaru Forester XS for it (yeah bit of a mistake getting a more standard sort of car when used to 4x4's). Anyway with the turbo and the hilux being a lightweight vehicle (alloy tray and all) I never found any lacking in the power department, the acceleration and everything seems to me as good in day to day stuff as the Subi, but with the benefit of that diesel torque - gee I missed that when we owned the Petrol Subi!

Hubby's cruiser is significantly heavier (well steel / wood tray for a start) and being used to that he doesn't like the Luxe's handling on the gravel roads - it's more likely to want to drift around corners if you go too fast becasue it's so light weight Not that I have the skill to do a good drift on the bike (yet) but I like it because it reminds me of riding:D
Me being used to the Lux, his ute feels a bit like a truck when you first get in, and to me it doesn't feel significantly more powerful, he reckons it is.

That seems like a pretty good price you've got. I found the RedBook doesn't seem to agree with the market price. A good way to check is ring you insurance company & see how much they would insure it for. But then with Toyota's there is nothing much you can do about that because of the whole demand etc they do keep their value.

We decided to go for a turbo model straight up rather than putting a turbo in, mostly because then we have an engine that was designed for a turbo in the first place, and really we probably wouldn't have saved all that much doing it the other way around, in fact if we got one without a turbo hubby probably would have wanted a big noisy Chev V8 in there instead. Well I know if he had the money he'd probably put on in his Cruiser!

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Toyota 4x4 are very reliable and hold there resale value . With petrol prices to stay low for a while id be looking at at petrol model over a desal just for the extra performance and lower maintenance . The SR5 hilux is great , with carpet , electric mirrors , windows and more comfy seats but are a little more expensive . If you could stretch to $20,000 /$22,000 look for a 2003/2004 3.4 Lt .v6 . 4x4 hilux . The 03/04 have more power than the previous models . They have 3 models . The SR5 , SR < eletic mirrors and windows , base model > and the base model . You should be able to pick one up in vgc with under 90,000 ks . I have a 04 black SR5 04 3.4lt v6 and every time i jump in it i smile . Its got plenty of grunt , great for shuttles and reliable . I dont think twice about jumping in it a heading up to Coffs or down to thredbow . The best thing to do is work out what car you wont , work out what you can afford , have your money together , wait and when the right one comes along POUNCH ...

Hungry

Likes Dirt
GU Coil Cab ute! pick one up for under 20k now days if its round 2000 model. bit slow on the blacktop but bulletproof.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
watch out with certain hilux's they do have a habit of cracking piston heads depending on which engine you have, mine did it earlier this year and ended up costing me $3400 to fix, not to happy
i agree.

Modern Hilux construction is not the same as it used to be. I went through two heads on my 01 TD lux, as well as a diff and complete suspension. It had done 160000k's, and was at the stage where it needed major repairs every two or three months. even the body construction is not up to scratch, without any major 4x4ing, all my headlight and indicator light assemblies rattled out, broke all the plastic fittings. aswell as this, most 4x4 outfitters will not fit any accessory that in any part covers the air intake, even slightly. they are renound for overheating (TD only). I had to get out of a hot queensland summer by only driving at night, i would never let the engine run hot, and the only way to do that was to not drive during the day.

and the other thing about hilux's, because of theyre rep, theyre expensive for what they are.

i am now running a 99 rodeo 4x4. its been no trouble at all for bout 1.5 years. plus, i sold the hilux for $20 (two years ago) and bought the rodeo for $14 (1.5 years ago) with half the k's of the hilux.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't have a huge amount of experience but avoid the current shape dual cab hilux if you like being able to see what is behind you. high tray/small window combo doesn't work overly well.

Jimass

Eats Squid
i agree.

Modern Hilux construction is not the same as it used to be. I went through two heads on my 01 TD lux, as well as a diff and complete suspension. It had done 160000k's, and was at the stage where it needed major repairs every two or three months. even the body construction is not up to scratch, without any major 4x4ing, all my headlight and indicator light assemblies rattled out, broke all the plastic fittings. aswell as this, most 4x4 outfitters will not fit any accessory that in any part covers the air intake, even slightly. they are renound for overheating (TD only). I had to get out of a hot queensland summer by only driving at night, i would never let the engine run hot, and the only way to do that was to not drive during the day.

and the other thing about hilux's, because of theyre rep, theyre expensive for what they are.

i am now running a 99 rodeo 4x4. its been no trouble at all for bout 1.5 years. plus, i sold the hilux for $20 (two years ago) and bought the rodeo for $14 (1.5 years ago) with half the k's of the hilux.

You picked up a 99 rodeo for fourteen dollars! Nice work...

And you sold your 'Lux for twenty bucks!

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just curious whether this statement could be applied to the 4Runner since they share the same platform? Im in the market for one...
I think you'll find that in Aus, there isn't really a current model 4Runner (unless it's an import). The latest they were sold here was in '94, so as far as I'm concerned if they're still running now they'll keep going!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I think you'll find that in Aus, there isn't really a current model 4Runner (unless it's an import). The latest they were sold here was in '94, so as far as I'm concerned if they're still running now they'll keep going!
No no, refering to the older models. Went 4-wheeling in a mates LN130 Surf and loved it...not really prepared to cope with the whole 'grey import' tag as well as the nature of those vehicles to crack heads, so the 4Runner, is a logical choice since it is more or less 'Aussie-fied'. Just doesnt have the cool stickers that the Surf does...