5 10’s… finally got a pair

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Some Five Ten Freerider shoes arrived on the doorstep today. So, I managed to squeeze in 50 minutes on some local singletrack before total darkness. Wow, how grippy are these shoes. My Colorado’s up until now, were the best of what was in the shoe box, but the 5 10’s are definitely grippier. Stiffer too, less flex. You sort of need to place your foot where it needs to be, as it is not so easy to readjust your foot positioning once riding… you can do it, but you need to un-weight your foot and adjust. The soles must be a fair bit thicker than my Colorado’s, as I had to put my seat post up about 3mm… I felt a bit low in the climbs. My bunnyhops on flat pedals are pathetic at best… but the new shoes did definitely help my hopelessness.

Anyway… very cool.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Haha, yeah they're a huge step above regular shoes on flats.

Completely agree with having to get your foot in the right position on the pedal first time too. There's no chance you can slip your foot up or over a cm or so on decent pedals - once it's in place, it's sticking like shit to a blanket!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you tried minions yet?
I once glued minions to the sole of an old pair of shoes...sadly the glue failed and I never got a real feel for the experiment. One day when I have recovered from this heart brake I will try again.

Three

Likes Bikes
5-10s...was looking for riding shoes when I first started and saw page after page of good reviews on CRC.

The hype is real, havent bought another type of shoe since. 5-10s all the way.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Have you tried minions yet?
Well, I had a feeling I had been Minioned before… so I checked my pile of tyres that were not quite toast, still had a little bit left in them or I just didn’t like… and your Minion was in there. So, I doubt I’d like them as shoes either.

Back OT... on tonight's ride the 5 10's were great... think they're here to stay.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Looks like Adidas are licensing Stealth Rubber from 5:10 now

So far the results are the underwhelming Terrex Trail which looks alright as an all-round outdoorsy shoe but I don't have much confidence in the sole design.

terrex.jpg

Now, if they start putting Stealth on the likes of the Samba and the Gazelle (whilst stiffening up the sole a little) they can have all my money.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Used to be able to get Stealth Rubber by the metre once from a climbing shoe retreader. I remember having a pair of Dunlop Volleys with a layer of it glued on as an approach or scrambling shoe back in the day...

placebo

Likes Dirt
I checked my pile of tyres that were not quite toast,... I just didn’t like… and your Minion was in there. ...
To paraphrase a great Sri Lankan religious figure: "Everyone runs minions or they get beat up."

[video=youtube;CNhLOfUPHa8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhLOfUPHa8&list=RDGMEMQ1dJ7wXfLlqCjwV0xfSNbAVMn12OBlcHx9E&index=19[/video]

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
To paraphrase a great Sri Lankan religious figure: "Everyone runs minions or they get beat up."
Couldn’t give a rats left one what a spiritual wanker from Ceylon thinks… so bring on the beating.

I personally thought the minion sucked in the cornering transition from upright to on its side. That fucking square edge kept drawing lines in the dirt. So it got the arse. But maybe I’m not enough of a serious DH dude to appreciate its minutiae.

But the 5 10’s are great… no suckage there.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Used to be able to get Stealth Rubber by the metre once from a climbing shoe retreader. I remember having a pair of Dunlop Volleys with a layer of it glued on as an approach or scrambling shoe back in the day...
You can buy Stealth Rubber re-sole kits from 5:10 themselves but as I'm shit at arts and crafts, I don't trust myself to glue them onto a set of trainers and not have the end result look like a bag of shit for the one day it stays stuck to the shoe...

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like Adidas are licensing Stealth Rubber from 5:10 now

So far the results are the underwhelming Terrex Trail which looks alright as an all-round outdoorsy shoe but I don't have much confidence in the sole design.

View attachment 326131

Now, if they start putting Stealth on the likes of the Samba and the Gazelle (whilst stiffening up the sole a little) they can have all my money.
Deep down inside I have a feeling Adidas now own 5:10.

Stealth rubber condoms could be an interesting notion. No more slips and spills...

jellylegs

Banned
I think I heard a story once of how Moorey wears 5 10s. Size 10 with a 5 inch heal if I remember the story correctly. But it could be BS,... just sayin

I did however find these 5 10 minions.... now that's some serious grip

min2.jpg

Last edited:

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
another happy 5.10 customer here, ended up getting one half size smaller than my casual shoes and its a nice snug fit, will probably stretch out over time as well. feel on the bike is solid

John U

MTB Precision
When I'm wearing them I find myself occasionally riding sections with my feet in fucked up positions and not worrying because I know they'll stay put. Feels weird because I'm so used to my feet being in the exact same position from riding spds most of the time.

Like shit to a blanket is very apt.