5 best sporting moments ever?

bikekid127

Likes Dirt
When the american girl crashed (trying to show off) on the 2nd to last jump of the 4x snowboarding olympic final. I laughed so hard that night.

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
1. Seeing my first 300mph run by a top fuel dragster.

2. Steve bradburys win in speed skating at the 2002 winter olympics.

3. Australia beating uruguay to get into the world cup.

4. Being a marshall at the '98 thumpernats at picton. I was about a metre from the edge of the track all day, and watching a young Craig Anderson leaning his KTM over in the corners much like a road bike was mind boggling.

5. After watching it for so many years, finally lining up to race motocross. A very shortlived career :rolleyes: Seriously, it was at a clubman level.

Sam.

Eats Squid
1. Seeing my first 300mph run by a top fuel dragster.
My cousin races top fuelers, Terry Sainty. Pity his car is always stuffing up! From memory they are the only people racing in Aus that build there own engines. Other competitors get them over from the US.

Sporting Moments:

1. Australia winning 1999, 2003 and 2007 cricket world cups does it for me.

More coming when I am not half asleep.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Ah right, I combined the "Is Australia the most successful sporting nation in hisotry" and the "5 best sporting moments ever" into "5 best Australian sporting moments ever"

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I know this is a typical jock thing to say but Ronaldhino's World Cup-ending strike against England in 2002 is a starter for sure! Absolute blinder of a shot. Was watching the game live in an Irish bar in Amsterdam's Red Light District. It was about 10am. I ended up f***ing legless. top day out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y70aJn7fb9Q

Liverpools comeback from 3-0 down to beat Real Madrid in the Champions League final.
Whilst i'm not a Liverpool fan I've always had a fair bit of respect for them by virtue of the fact 'King' Kenny Dalgliesh (Scottish football legend) used to play for them and they're not Man U. Greatest comeback outside of a Rocky film. Everyone had written them off at the end of the first half but they kicked themselves into gear, equalised then held it together through Extra Time before dispatching Real on penalties. Fairy tale stuff.
Yet again I was watching this in a bar at a ridiculous time (4am - 7am, The Joint on Elizabeth St Melbourne). Ended up shit-faced with a bunch of Scousers singing 'you'll never walk alone' at office workers on their morning commute...

Ricky Hatton beating Kostya Tszyu.
Whilst I've always had a lot of respect for Tszyu as a fighter, Hatton was always going to be my favourite for that match. The man went in as the underdog, he likes a guinness and a game of darts and his pre-match ritual genrally involves scoffing a fry-up. A proper geezer, through and through. The Tszyu fight made his name and will probably stand out as his greatest moment.

Eric Cantona cracking the shits and dishing out a flying kick to a Crystal Palace supporter. After being sent off for a dodgy tackle, the fiery frog went radge after hearing an oppostion supporter call his mum a whore in french. In one of the greatest displays of martial arts since Bruce Lee passed away, Eric rushed the stand and flying kicked the gormless twat resulting in a 9 month suspension and a new pair of jocks for the cheeky prick. To top it all, Eric's response to the incident in the following press conference was the suitably mystifying "when ze seagulls follow ze trawler, it is because zey think sardines will be thrown into the sea" Surreal Legend!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7P4dLw4h4

Finally the greatest sporting moment of all time!

Aberdeen beating Real Madrid to claim the European Cup Winners Cup, Gothenburg Sweden, 1983.
This is still talked about in Aberdeen to this very day. A young Aberdeen side managed by upcoming manager Alex Ferguson took on the might of one of Europe's most celebrated teams and banjo'd them royally! Eric Black opened the proceedings before juanito equalised from a penalty kick. John Hewitt scored the winner to seal the Dandy Dons place in history as the last Scottish team to win anything in Europe. Aberdeen then took the cup home to a giant street party on Aberdeen's Union St (I was there, sitting on my old man's shoulders). Manager Alex Ferguson left the club two seasons later for the dizzy heights of Man U and captain Willie Miller became the landlord at my local pub. Scottish football hasn't been the same since...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eG3k2TgSzj4

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So many great sporting moments over the year. This isn't really my top five just the ones I can remember.

Zinedine Zidane's headbut in the last fifa world cup final.

Steven Bradbury, coming last, everyone falls over just before the finsih line, he wins.

Watching Cameroon v Argentina in a 2000 olympics final(soccer). Mainly because I was really young and that was the first high porfile game I ever watched.

Many cricket moments when we're down by impossible odds and somehow someone go's out there and smashes there way to a win.

Just any time when your teams down by one goal or your drawing but its a must win game and just out of no where someone scores an absolute screamer and everyone goes off.

Best moment for me is in soccer is in the under 15/16 grand final when the majority of our team was 14 or 15 and we were versing a team of 16 year olds. All year they were owning every team excepts wee would usually draw with them. Scoreless at halftime and until about the last ten minutes. I was sick that day but everyone was absolutley buggered so he thought he'd put e on anyway. The game went on for a while until we made a break down the wing got crossed perfectly infront of me as I was charging through and I scored an awesome diving header. Oh man that felt so good. we won.

Attachments

CensoredDH

Likes Bikes
A few of my memorable moments....

Michael Bevan hitting a four off of the last ball versus the windies to win some one day international a few years back. Straight back over the bowlers head. One of my favourites for sure.

Mark McGaw or someone similar kicking a sideline conversion in pouring rain super late in a state of origin game a long time back, getting NSW over the line 6-4. It started out super wide and just curved in so sweet.

Carey Hart's first backflip attempt and then Pastrana's subsequent double last year.

Fatty Vautin taking the best catch ever in the Allan Border Testimonial cricket match at the Gabba...

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Rumble in the Jungle-Every body thought Foreman was unbeatable.
Jesse Owans, 1936 Berlin Olimpics, 4 gold medals
Roger Bannister, 4 minute mile
Nadia Comaneci, First perfect 10, 1976 Olimpics
Aussies showing their true sporting class with the last ball of the 1981 B&H 1 dayer

Last edited:

emcgough

Likes Dirt
1. Steve Waugh hitting a four off the last ball of the day in his last ever test at the SCG to bring up his century. It was building up for so long, there was so much pressure (and doubt) placed upon him, and he just stood there and delivered.

2.[AFL/VFL] Malcolm Blight's kick after the siren to level the scores in the 1976 AFL grand final. The video footage is amazing... the opposition players (all of them) are lined up, jumping up and down and yelling, doing everything to try and put him off, and he simply goes back and drills it.

3. [AFL/VFL] The Wayne Harmes incident in the 1979 Grand Final.
Taken from "abc.net.au":

"Wayne Harmes didn't kick it but he created it, from nothing. In a moment of frenzied genius, as his team clung to a four-point lead, he pursued his own wayward kick out to a forward pocket where no player or boundary umpire stood.

As the ball slid to the boundary line he dived after it and, aqua-planing across the turf, slapped it back in to the goal front.

There was Ken Sheldon to gather and goal. Collingwood fans still say the ball was out of bounds. The best the old replay can do is to confirm that it was close."

4. [AFL/VFL] 1989 Grand Final, Geelong V Hawthorn. During the opening seconds of play, Dermott Brereton was taken out by an opposition player in what was a predetermined attack, issued by the coach. Dermett went down hard, fracturing 2 ribs and suffering from internal bleeding and concussion. In obvious pain and discomfort, he throws up on the ground, and battles off the trainers as they try and remove him from the ground. He literally has to push away the trainers and meds as they try to restrain him. He goes on and plays the whole match and is a key player in Hawthorn's win.

5. There's 100 more AFL/VFL moments I could mention that I've just thought of.... John Coleman, Jack Dyer, Ted Whitten going around the MCG one final time before his passing, etc, etc...

Last edited: