5 Day riding trip, Sydney - Mogo - Canberra - Sydney

skipper_nz

Likes Dirt
I am currently planning a MTB trip from wednesday 23rd Sept to Sunday 27th, the plan is to drive south to Mogo State Forest, across to Canberra then back to Sydney.
I am looking for places to ride as we stop along the way, mainly XC courses or places that will be fun!
so far the list i have compiled is:

Nowra trails (coondoo, butterfly and superbowl) (wednesday)
Mogo State Forest (thursday AM)
Canberra (have ridden East Cowen, Stromlo, Bruce Ridge etc... so don't need any more there!)
Majura Pines (friday PM)
Welby (saturday AM)
Wingello (saturday PM)
Wylde MTB Park (sunday AM

Does anyone have anymore suggestions of great trails to ride that are along the way?
If you know of any locals or want to join us to show us the trails that is always a bonus too!

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Whilst in Canberra - make sure you check out the new additions to Kowen - Stairway to Heaven and the new descent who's name escapes me at this moment (but it's trail head is just to the right when you reach the top of the Stairway)

Klips

Likes Dirt
New descent on Kowen is Romper Room.

If you haven't been here in a little while, Majura's been completely re-done so it will look rather different to when you last rode it.

skipper_nz

Likes Dirt
We have ridden Kowen/sparrow hill 5-6 times but if we havent done enough riding then we will entertain ourselves there.
We have never ridden Majura so should be fun.

T-Rex

Template denier
I would replace Wingello with Mittagong.

I rode both a few years ago, and found Wingello a bit tedious, short single track sections through pine plantation, connected with fire road granny grinds.

Mittagong on the other hand was really cool, through natural bush and with decent rock features.

It's only about 20 min drive between the two.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wingello's single track has expanded a fair bit in the last couple of years.
coming from Canberra you're doing welby then backtracking to Wingello in that plan? is that due to staying in Mittagong Friday night? it's far from an issue but about 40km drive south again

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't miss Wingello - there are some long climbs in it but they are worth it. In the last 2 years there has been about 6km of single track added so there is much less fire road now. And all its single track is in natural bush. There is none in the pine plantation at all any more. Make sure you only do the red loop - the other 2 - Blue and yellow loops are 100% fire road.

Welby (Mittagong) is easy to navigate if you come in from the cemetery, go through the gate (at the end of meranie st) and turn left onto the first bit of fire road and it is well sign posted from there.

Wingello is south of Welby so as others have said you will be back tracking to go to Wingello after Welby.

I ride both weekly and if I had to choose one to ride out of the two it would be Wingello every time.

I am heading to Beechworth that week or for sure would of hooked up for Wingello with you.

If your looking for cheap Accommodation closer to Wingello so you don't have to back track so far, there is a YHA at Bundanoon. Its 15 minutes from Wingello (still heading south) and 25 minutes from Welby (heading north) the bundy pub does a pretty good feed or the pizza and pasta joint in the main street is always consistent. Head to the bike shop café or the Gardeners kitchen for breakfast.

Last edited:

skipper_nz

Likes Dirt
Haha obviously my planning is no good, negative on the back tracking, we will just swap the order around.
Good that I have not looked into mittagong too much, now that I know it is Welby.
Red loop
We will be camping out so no Accom needed, but we will just see how the bodies cope with that level of punishment. Neither of us have enough money for Accom every night/we enjoy camping.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is camping in the state forest at Wingello and a drop toilet - no water. There is no camping at Welby. There is a caravan park at Mittagong 2 minutes drive from Welby.

Wingello red loop will be about 22km (650ish climbing metres) and Welby is just over 10km (around 200ish climbing metres)

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Welby is great, Wingello not so much.

I rode Wingello a month ago and it's a bunch of badly routed fire trail and some uninspiring singletrack. Just stay in canberra an extra night, they have so much good riding, try Jerra if you want something new, just watch out for feral pigs :D